The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eminem Wow
Old 2nd June 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermosey View Post
and doesn't mr eminem have a new album out right this very minute?
with the way the industry is hurting having a man's balls in your face to get a little publicity must have not seemed like such a bad idea .. at least to some.
the record industry really is tough.
hahahaha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Someone got it a few posts back -

It's an old TV set up. Old as the hills, that's why Eninem WAS pissed off.

They DID tell him Cohen was going to drop in on him, otherwise he would of just moved - they told him enough to make it happen.

Then the "sting" .... they didn't tell him, Cohen would have no undies on, so he got a face full of Cohens BUTT.

Eninem walked out pissed at being set up. It really is the oldest one in the book.

You set your pray up with enough info to get them to play ball (no pun intended) then when they "think" they know what's coming you have a twist at the end (too many puns here)

When I was 12, I would of thought it was funny too.

TMY
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Someone got it a few posts back -

It's an old TV set up. Old as the hills, that's why Eninem WAS pissed off.

They DID tell him Cohen was going to drop in on him, otherwise he would of just moved - they told him enough to make it happen.

Then the "sting" .... they didn't tell him, Cohen would have no undies on, so he got a face full of Cohens BUTT.

Eninem walked out pissed at being set up. It really is the oldest one in the book.

You set your pray up with enough info to get them to play ball (no pun intended) then when they "think" they know what's coming you have a twist at the end (too many puns here)

When I was 12, I would of thought it was funny too.

TMY
Hate to say we told you so ... but we told you so ....Yahoo! Buzz Log - MTV Writer Admits 'Bruno' Stunt Was Staged
It has been confirmed that Eminem knew all along ,and the scene had been previously rehearsed the day before exactly as it appeared on tv...
This whole thing is so interesting to me because it shows how differently people perceive the exact same events.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Who cares, really?
A lot of people do...that's what show business is mainly about...getting people interested in unimportant stuff and turning that interest into money...(oh, also maybe giving people some distractions from reality, which is pretty dull...which is why I think it's interesting that what perks up people's interest the most is that something happened that was "real", no matter how ridiculous the thing was...)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is not admission that I care/it matters:

MTV confirms the 'Bruno'-Eminem butt stunt was staged
Old 3rd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
seriously, you don't "surprise" anybody with that kind of pull and money.
it's bad business.
Old 3rd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if too many folks think it was not staged and eminem looks poor now, the industry would miss to move an amount of em units. not gonna happen...

my point is though, MTV can get away with so too much! dfegad
because we CAN .... what?!
Old 4th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Eminem speaks out on Bruno stunt | TV, movie and music news | Movies, Music, News, Television | EW.com

Quote:
Eminem told Rap Radar that he was, indeed, in on the MTV Movie Awards stunt, which had Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno character drop from the sky and into his lap. "Sacha called me when we were in Europe and he had an idea to do something outrageous at the Movie Awards," Eminem tells RR. "I'm a big fan of his work, so I agreed to get involved with the gag....After the ceremony I went back to my hotel and laughed uncontrollably for about three hours. Especially after I saw it on air."
Rap Radar later asks Eminem, "If it wasn't planned the way you agreed to, do you hold MTV or Sacha responsible and will you take any kind of action?" To which Em replies, "I'm thrilled that we pulled this off better than we rehearsed it. It had so many people going 'nuts,' so to speak. Everyone was blowing me up about it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whatever Eminem knew about the gag, he was NOT aware of the tea-bag caper...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's kind of "ruined" now that he's told people he was in on it. They should've kept it going. I really think MTV has more WWF style drama than anyone realizes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
I think it's kind of "ruined" now that he's told people he was in on it. They should've kept it going. I really think MTV has more WWF style drama than anyone realizes.
He finally admits complete knowledge of the event so as not to appear to be a complete doosch-bag...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post
He finally admits complete knowledge of the event so as not to appear to be a complete doosch-bag...
Well, admitting it was staged 2 days later is brilliant!

It got him on every news outlet that initially reported / bought the story for a second time... That marketing stunt worked out SO well...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post

It got him on every news outlet that initially reported / bought the story for a second time... That marketing stunt worked out SO well...
Exactly. It was all planned perfectly.

If he didn't admit it, there would be too many people thinking (wrongly) that he got punked. Which would hurt him.

New movie. New record. Spend spend spend.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

no one listens...
Old 5th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post

I'm still pretty sceptical to be honest.

Anyone that is aware of Sacha Baron Cohen's work will know that "pre-arranged" is not in his vocabulary.

Ali-G, Borat etc...
The whole point of his work is the entire "WTF?" shock/reaction thing.

And at the end of the day Eminem came across as a bit of a dick for having a hissy fit and walking out. There was no "positive" angle for Em. Why would he agree to do it? Barring the obvious "any publicity is good publicity" thing, but that is only for the truly desperate. Surely?

He will now be known as the guy that got to smell Borat's bumhole. For a "G" that does not sparkle Yo?

My bet is a cover-up. A few bucks for an "Oh, yeah it was all staged" blog up for a couple of hours. It's still not gonna save face really is it?

Even if it does transpire that it was all staged and that was the SECOND time he had Sacha's junk in his face then you have to ask yourself; Why?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
em has little problem to stay the controversial one.

the whole stunt is also slapping the "tribal" over-hyped honor ego hero thing of too many rappers. I guess this is something he agreed on. at least he does not claim it for himself.
(it is very indirect but the question will arise what reaction e.g. kanye would deliver)

some rappers would complain about the tragic insult to the whole subculture, for many months...
which would be pretty redunkulous after 30 yrs of ups and downs and a lot of madness quite close to some biggest icons.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post

Anyone that is aware of Sacha Baron Cohen's work will know that "pre-arranged" is not in his vocabulary.
Really? Ask Pamela Anderson about that one.

A lot of his bits are set up as much as you'd like to think they're not.

I've seen the hooker from the Borat movie doing other acting work for instance.

They would have to be geniuses to make a real bit look as fake as it was.

BTW - Only one artist sold more records than the Beatles in this decade. Guess who.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Borat?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post

Ali-G, Borat etc...
The whole point of his work is the entire "WTF?" shock/reaction thing.

And at the end of the day Eminem came across as a bit of a dick for having a hissy fit and walking out. There was no "positive" angle for Em. Why would he agree to do it? Barring the obvious "any publicity is good publicity" thing, but that is only for the truly desperate. Surely?

He will now be known as the guy that got to smell Borat's bumhole. For a "G" that does not sparkle Yo?

My bet is a cover-up. A few bucks for an "Oh, yeah it was all staged" blog up for a couple of hours. It's still not gonna save face really is it?

Even if it does transpire that it was all staged and that was the SECOND time he had Sacha's junk in his face then you have to ask yourself; Why?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethaL View Post
Do you honestly believe Eminem would be in on something that made the whole world laugh at him? Something like that wont boost a rapper's sales. Maybe musicians of another genre would see a benefit out of it but not a rapper.
Hah, I'm sorry but some of you guys (sorry, not picking on you in particular) sound a little, ehh.. old? heh I'm not a huge eminem fan or anyting but it sounds to me like his anti-establishment image has worked to perfection. This has probably already been said in this thread but i read eminem had cohen approach him a while back in europe about doing this exact stunt and eminem loved everything about it so they did it at the mtv awards.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For what it's worth, I worked as a writer on the MTV awards years ago. Thinking up stunts like this was just part of the job of making the show 'unpredictable', and (hopefully) funny. The tough part was usually that a celebrity might say 'yes' to something, only to then have their manager or 'handlers' call back and say "No way, my client is NOT going to do that!"

I never for a second thought this stunt could be real. The cameras were ready for it, Eminem seemed ready for it... Stuff like that has to be rehearsed - it's harder than it looks (and no, I'm not talking about Bruno's nether regions).

Of course, sometimes stuff does indeed backfire. The year I was working on the show, Janeane Garofalo surprised Mel Gibson with an "ambush interview" as he walked in the door. She was trying to be funny, but Mel was having none of it and was clearly not enjoying being the butt of the joke (again, not talking about Bruno). Soon as he was off camera he stormed around backstage demanding to see the producer, and he left in a huff shortly after. Which was a major problem, since it was the year of 'Braveheart' and Adam Sandler had prepared a whole tribute to him...

But that's another story.

Wonder what they'll think up for next year????
πŸ“ Reply