The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
does this sound like an acoustic bass? Condenser Microphones
Old 31st May 2009
Gear Addict

does this sound like an acoustic bass?

did a live vocal/acoustic bass recording. 1st time i recorded a acoustic bass....(wooooooop)

vocal>>> brauner phantom
guitar>>> R92
+ DI >> then reamped tru bass amp and recorded with R84+ km184 (1meter behind the R84)

my question is....does it sound good? does it sound like an acoustic bass?

any remarks/feedback/critic is welcome.

many tnx and greetz Peter

SoundClick artist: ACCOUSTIC RECORDING - page with MP3 music downloads
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear
Sounds cool. Hard to avoid the Morphine comparison but definitely different. Nice vocal sound, aswell.
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

So, you're getting an acoustic guitar signal and trying to make it sound like an acoustic bass?
It sounds to me quite like there's an acoustic guitar in the mix, and there's a bass guitar as well, and they are separate instruments, and the bass player is playing the bass a bit like its a guitar.
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

oops, re-read your post and realised it really is an acoustic bass.
When recording acoustic bass, I think its important to have a mic (preferably a condenser) on the guitar itself for the string sound. But it sounds like you have that sound in there.. Is it leakage through the vocal mic? It sounds like an acoustic guitar to me, there isn't much body to it, and the big bass amp sound needs to somehow be blended in so it doesn't sound like a different instrument..
Old 31st May 2009
Assuming from the sound of this that you mean an acoustic bass guitar (one of those hollow body guitaron-on-a-diet things) rather than the instrument tradtionally known as an acoustic bass (stand up bass, double bass, bass viol, etc).

This doesn't sound much like an acoustic bass guitar to me, at all, it sounds like it's going through an amp (well, duh, huh?) and got a ton of bright on the p/u sound.

That said, I think those things can be considered aesthetic/artistic decisions.

I think it sounds interesting and isn't too distracting... it brings a little of the flavor of an acoustic guitar going through an amp (not a sound I actually like but it's a valuable texture to have in a mix, sometimes, if you need to cut through).

The Morphine references are unavoidable, of course.
Old 31st May 2009
Gear Addict

tru, not very clear in what im telling here...

the artist wanted the DI sound of the acoustic bass guitar) tru the amp.

i recorded the amp with a R84 and km184

its what the artist wanted. he plays his ac guitar and amp with it live too. and he didnt like the acoustic recording with the R92, wich i did.

and im just checking if it sounds good. you dont hear often a acoustic bass guitar.

tnx and greetz Peter
Old 1st June 2009
Yeah... liked it.

Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

I would be interested in knowing what kind of acoustic bass that was.

It doesn't sound like any upright bass I have heard..too much sustain. It sounded just fine for the tune, but not like an acoustic, more like an electric bass. I would imagine running it through an amp would create a lot of the sound.

Was the bass a hollow body acoustic guitar style bass?
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

if you want the violent femmes blister in the sun type sound, a lot of it is from micing the bass guitar itself. I know, cos I've recorded that guy..
Old 1st June 2009
Gear Addict

dont know wich one it was, but i got a pic.

to beebay....--> what mic did u use to record his acustic bass guitar?

greetz
Attached Thumbnails
does this sound like an acoustic bass?-afbeelding-627.jpg  
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

well I didn't record the violent femmes at all, just a few little things recently with Brian. I've used oktava mk-012's or NTK, the important thing is to use a condensor to get the brightness and transients..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search