The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSD with Prism converters into HD? DAW Software
Old 24th April 2003
DSD with Prism converters into HD?

I have heard tell this is possible...

Whats the scoop?

Sound v interesting!

Old 24th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Must be recording through a DSD converter that outputs PCM at 192khz?
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

I've seen it hanging out on HUGE banners at the Prism stand at AES Amsterdam. I think I took a picture of it ...

http://www.prismsound.com/psada8.htm

PCM to DSD and DSD to PCM.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

Looks like more "upsampling , sales, bull****". You could just as well record it 192khz and at the final transfer stage get it upsampled to DSD and claim the same. At the price of the Prism convertors I would save your money Jules.

Regards

Roland
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Maniac

"DSD I/O module available February 2003, with SDIF-2, SDIF-3 and MAC-DSD interfaces._ New DSP features include eight-channel_ PCM-to-DSD and DSD-to-PCM conversion (any PCM sample-rate), plus 8-channel PCM sample-rate conversion.

NOTE: By fitting both of these I/O modules, Pro Tools can record and replay DSD audio, allowing it to produce SACD master recordings."
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
"DSD I/O module available February 2003, with SDIF-2, SDIF-3 and MAC-DSD interfaces._ New DSP features include eight-channel_ PCM-to-DSD and DSD-to-PCM conversion (any PCM sample-rate), plus 8-channel PCM sample-rate conversion.

NOTE: By fitting both of these I/O modules, Pro Tools can record and replay DSD audio, allowing it to produce SACD master recordings."
But the Prism article says nothing about pro-tools software, and without that its just the same as using different convertors and upsampling.

With the lack of movement in the audio retail market, there seems a hell of a push on to try and sell us all new gear, that we probably don't need.

Regards

Roland
Old 25th April 2003
I will give Prism a call. I am not SERIOUSLY interested in buying the DSD cards, but I do already have a Prism unit `that I am using with Mix +. The idea that I could record DSD and control it via my ProControl tickles me..

Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

The point I was making is that without protools software supporting DSD sampling rates you are limited to the 192khz files the software already supports. In my pyramix system though the software can record DSD signals it still downconverts to 384 in order to process the EQ, effects etc, then up samples to DSD for output. Merging claim that there is no degradation as a result, this I can not verify myself.

Of course the cheap option would be to just produce a 192 master and have that upsampled by the mastering house, would be the same thing but you wouldn't have to spend the cash. heh

Regards

Roland
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

Forgive me, because I'm not real up on all the digital stuff yet but what is DSD and what is it good for?
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

my bet is that they are breaking the signal up into 192k streams. Keep all the faders grouped, manipulate as a group, and kick back out. As far as I know, this is actually the only way to do anything to a dsd stream, to break it up into pcm.

Welcome to the funky world of DSD. It really isn't production friendly.
Old 26th April 2003
So using Auto Tune aint really an option eh?

Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

Again, what is DSD?
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BattleAngel
Again, what is DSD?
DSD (Direct Stream Digital) is 1-bit delta-sigma modulation with a sampling rate of 64 times (2.8224 mHz) 44.1 pcm (Pulse Code Modulation).

Pep the link which has more info (although more consumer based)

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/dsd/dsd.pdf
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

Okay, that's just awesome. That would be super if we could actually use it in production

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search