The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focal Twin 6 : hisssssss...
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

Focal Twin 6 : hisssssss...

OK, so I decided to step it up in regards to studio monitors, and got a pair of Focal Twin6s. They just arrived today from Mercenary. After reading all the raves about the Focals I really wanted to try them out in my place.
My first impression is that they do indeed sound beautiful, and they represent a giant upgrade for me (I am not going to even mention what I was using up till now)... BUT

the constant hiss is driving me crazy!

I do remember some people posting here that they had some sort of hiss coming from the Focals, but others claimed otherwise... well, it's there for me. Perhaps this is something one can get used to, but I am not sure if I can?! I will definitely give it a good shot though.

Here is my questions to you guys:

—Do you hear any kind of hiss coming from comparable monitors? For example K+H 0 300? Or some higher end Genelecs? I guess after dropping 3K on a pair of monitors i would hope to have them silent when I am not sending sound through them!?... The hiss is fairly pronounced (to me) and i can imagine that it would get in a way of some critical listening/editing...

—Can this be dealt with / fixed somehow?

Once again: I do like the way they sound. But if other monitors on this level do not produce constant hiss, I guess i would rather have silence, where silence is expected...

Any thoughts, comments and/or testimonials you could share will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,
p.
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

Do the speakers have hiss when there is no signal cable connected?

Do you have the level selector switch set correctly?

I've got the Twin 6 as well in my studio. I've not had any noise problems except when i had the switch set to -10db instead of +4db. This was due to the switch getting knocked during a move.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

No issues with hiss here.
Old 30th May 2009
member no 666

The thing to do is determine if the hiss is in your system or in the monitors [I'd recommend you start with the +4 / -10 switch on the back]. If the hiss is in the monitors [I'd say a 30% or less chance... I have a VERY strong feeling it's in the system prior to the monitors] give the office a call on Monday and they will be able to get it sorted out for you straight away.

Peace.
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backindauk View Post
Do the speakers have hiss when there is no signal cable connected?

Do you have the level selector switch set correctly?

I've got the Twin 6 as well in my studio. I've not had any noise problems except when i had the switch set to -10db instead of +4db. This was due to the switch getting knocked during a move.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I can hear the noise when speakers are NOT connected to anything (except power of course). The hiss is audible from both speakers, and yes: i have them set to +4db. When I set them to -10db the hiss is more apparent.

p.
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The thing to do is determine if the hiss is in your system or in the monitors [I'd recommend you start with the +4 / -10 switch on the back]. If the hiss is in the monitors [I'd say a 30% or less chance... I have a VERY strong feeling it's in the system prior to the monitors] give the office a call on Monday and they will be able to get it sorted out for you straight away.

Peace.
Hi Fletcher,

Thank you for your note.

As I mentioned above, the hiss is present even with monitors disconnected, so I am not sure the system has any part in the problem. I am going to try and plug one of them into different power outlets/conditioners to see if that has any affect on the hiss. But I have a feeling that this will not make a difference, as I have never had power-related issues in my studio.

Sincerely,

p.
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

I was working in the studio last night and came across a strange phenomenon.

I noticed that when i had my macbook pro laptop right next to the speakers i got a hissing/clicking noise. This must be due to the wireless. I turned "Airport" off and the hiss was gone.

Check the power supply as mentioned. If you have noisy equipment on the same circuit that might be causing it as well.
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

Well, after a couple of weeks of daily use I have decided to send the Focals back... ;-(

It became apparent to me that the hiss would not go away (I am sure I gave them sufficient workout for the burn-in period), and that it was not caused by my system. I don't know if the pair I had was malfunctioning or whether this is the characteristic of this design. I suspect that it's the latter, as a Focal rep suggested that in an email I received. In the end: it didn't matter to me, as I simply could not get over it. In my studio, I could hear the hiss at all times (of course except when monitoring louder sections) including quieter passages of material at hand. Most certainly when working with voice tracks, the hiss was very audible to me.

It could be that this is "normal", and perhaps I am overly sensitive to this particular frequency, or that my expectations are too high... I don't know. But these simply did not deliver the experience I was hoping for. To me the hiss was distracting and frustrating to deal with... ultimately: counterproductive.

I do want to underscore, that aside from that hiss, I liked very much the sound of the Focal monitors. In fact, if it were not for the hiss, I would most certainly keep them. So this note is not intended to shed negative light on the product. In the good-natured gearslut fashion, I simply wanted to share my experience/thoughts with you.

Meanwhile: my search for the great sounding AND quiet studio monitors continues. So, if you have any suggestions, and know from experience a specific make/model that you'd recommend as exceptionally quiet: please do so!

As always: feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
p.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

My Twin 6's had hiss too, one of the main reasons I got rid of them. Could not stand it.
Try JBL 6328p's, they are wonderful speakers.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusound View Post
My Twin 6's had hiss too, one of the main reasons I got rid of them. Could not stand it.
Try JBL 6328p's, they are wonderful speakers.
Thanks for your note Zulu...
It's good to hear that there is somebody else who experienced this, and, like me, could not stand it! ;-) I was beginning to feel that there was something seriously wrong with my head! (Well, that could still be the case, but I digress...)

I will certainly check out the JBLs...

Anybody else has any suggestions for QUIET monitors?

p.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Check out the K+H 0300, overall better monitors & mine were quiet absolutely no hiss problems (i've upgraded to Barefoots now though).
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube View Post
Check out the K+H 0300, overall better monitors & mine were quiet absolutely no hiss problems (i've upgraded to Barefoots now though).
Ill second the K+H, though im using the focal twins (quiet ones..) and loving every second of using them here, the K+H are superior monitors!! the Focals as all monitors are not for everyone.. don't fight your head, just replace them to whatever suit your ears best.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
Ill second the K+H, though im using the focal twins (quiet ones..) and loving every second of using them here, the K+H are superior monitors!! the Focals as all monitors are not for everyone.. don't fight your head, just replace them to whatever suit your ears best.
Hi guys,

Thank you for the suggestions. K+H 0300 show up in the threads about Focal Twins regularly... but they are more expensive, and am afraid are edging out of my budget. How are the K+H 0110? Quiet?

Honestly, after my experience with Twin6s I am wondering if I shouldn't look at a pair of smaller nearfields (smaller than Focal Twins)...

Many thanks,
p.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

You could try adam p22a or p33a.I am very happy with the p22a and they are dead quiet here.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
You could try adam p22a or p33a.I am very happy with the p22a and they are dead quiet here.
Hi Fluxpod,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning on checking out ADAMs.
You know, the funny thing is, that some people say that about Focal Twin6 too!!! That they are "dead quiet"! I understand that a lot depends on the room, but... ;-)

p.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
Hi Fluxpod,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning on checking out ADAMs.
You know, the funny thing is, that some people say that about Focal Twin6 too!!! That they are "dead quiet"! I understand that a lot depends on the room, but... ;-)

p.

Hi
The best way to fix your proble; is to get in touch with your dealer or distributor. you will find your distributor contqct details on Focal Professional studio monitor loudspeakers. then click on dealer and you choose your coumtry. contact your distributor who will fix your problem very fast by reopqiring your twin or exchange it for free.
All the best
Nicolas debard
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas debard View Post
Hi
The best way to fix your proble; is to get in touch with your dealer or distributor. you will find your distributor contqct details on Focal Professional studio monitor loudspeakers. then click on dealer and you choose your coumtry. contact your distributor who will fix your problem very fast by reopqiring your twin or exchange it for free.
All the best
Nicolas debard
Well, as I said: I did return the monitors already.
But thank you for your note.

p.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, as I said: I did return the monitors already.
But thank you for your note.

p.
This is the reason why distributors and dealers do exist : support, service, advise.
Nicolas DEBARD
Focal Professional
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas debard View Post
This is the reason why distributors and dealers do exist : support, service, advise.
Nicolas DEBARD
Focal Professional
Which is why I have been in contact with the dealer and discussed the issue several times throughout the process. I got support, service and advice. I made the decision after extensive try-out, AND taking for consideration all the advice, including email feedback from a Focal distributor...

Both expressed to me that the hiss was "normal".

Meanwhile I am looking forward to hearing from the dealer, who will test the pair I sent back, to find out if in his opinion these were malfunctioning or performing as they were intended to. If he says that they are busted, I'd love to have a pair of those that are working properly!

p.
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

Just to follow this up:

After I sent them back, I was told that they "checked out fine"... meaning that they were indeed performing as they were supposed to.

So, the hiss that I found unacceptable (which many, many happy users don't find problematic) is normal.

p.

PS

Am still looking for a pair of truly quiet monitors.
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Hello there!

Does anybody have any other suggestions for exceptionally quiet nearfields?

Thank you for any recommendations you might have!

Sincerely,

p.
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Head

No hiss here... Lovin every minute with my focal twin 6's.... my buddy just got a pair of event opals and is complaining about 'rattling' when the bass is bumpin loud....
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello there!

Sincerely,

p.
You really should try the p22a.
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hello there!

Sincerely,

p.
Go passive. If you can, try to audition a pair of Harbeth speakers. Bloody wonderful sounding things.
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Head

No Hiss on my focal twins.fuuck
Old 4th October 2009
F5D
Lives for gear

There is some hiss but it is at very low level. In practice, I cannot hear it at all from about 1.5 meters from the monitors. If you put your ear close to the tweeter, the hiss becomes audible, as with any active monitor. The room must be deadly quiet if you can hear the hiss. My mac pro which is quite silent, is under my studio desk. If you have all equipment making even the slightest noise in another room, maybe then you could hear the hiss.
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the flurry of new responses!

I think I am going to try the p22a. I have tried a few different models, but have not found the right pair. I am now auditioning the JBLs, and while they are a marked improvement in the "quiet" department, I am not sure if this is the pair. I am still thinking that I should at least try the ADAMs and possibly K+H pair.

It's true that my room is very quiet.

Some years ago I was driven mad by the noise my computer was making (at that time it was a G4 tower) which over time started making such racket that I couldn't hear what I was doing... After looking into isolation boxes etc. I decided that the thing to do was to try to get the computer OUT of the room... Someone on GS had suggested this actually, making a point of the workable lengths of extension cords for USB, firewire and monitor cables. So I literally cut the hole in one of the walls in my studio, made a shelf on the other side of the wall for the computer, installed a little door in the wall (I actually simply bought a middle size medicine cabinet at a hardware store and knocked out the back of it, which resulted in a $20 neat access door) and never looked back! If anyone is having problems with computer noise in their room: I highly recommend that strategy. Quite honestly the change was so profound that I simply could not believe that I was able to do anything before that. As though I could hear the music for the first time... just amazing.
But anyway: I digress.

Of course now, in my beautifully quiet room, I can hear the damn monitor hiss, but I am sure I will find my perfect monitors sooner or later!

Thank you for all recommendations!

p.
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the flurry of new responses!

I think I am going to try the p22a. I have tried a few different models, but have not found the right pair. I am now auditioning the JBLs, and while they are a marked improvement in the "quiet" department, I am not sure if this is the pair. I am still thinking that I should at least try the ADAMs and possibly K+H pair.

It's true that my room is very quiet.

Some years ago I was driven mad by the noise my computer was making (at that time it was a G4 tower) which over time started making such racket that I couldn't hear what I was doing... After looking into isolation boxes etc. I decided that the thing to do was to try to get the computer OUT of the room... Someone on GS had suggested this actually, making a point of the workable lengths of extension cords for USB, firewire and monitor cables. So I literally cut the hole in one of the walls in my studio, made a shelf on the other side of the wall for the computer, installed a little door in the wall (I actually simply bought a middle size medicine cabinet at a hardware store and knocked out the back of it, which resulted in a $20 neat access door) and never looked back! If anyone is having problems with computer noise in their room: I highly recommend that strategy. Quite honestly the change was so profound that I simply could not believe that I was able to do anything before that. As though I could hear the music for the first time... just amazing.
But anyway: I digress.

Of course now, in my beautifully quiet room, I can hear the damn monitor hiss, but I am sure I will find my perfect monitors sooner or later!

Thank you for all recommendations!

p.

Have you tried the event opals? Supposably they have on of the lowest noise floors and distortion. Havent tried them. I am looking to grab a pair of the focal twin b's soon. I have heard some great things from a friend of mine who owns and loves them.
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound View Post
Have you tried the event opals? Supposably they have on of the lowest noise floors and distortion. Havent tried them. I am looking to grab a pair of the focal twin b's soon. I have heard some great things from a friend of mine who owns and loves them.
Did not try Opals, but perhaps I should (shipping cost on monitors is pretty high, so going through the audition process if you have to pay the shipping gets costly in a hurry)... ;-)

Good luck with the Twins: I hope they work out for you. There are many happy users out there!

p.
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

yesterday I heard Solo 6 (which I still own a pair of, that I don´t use though), Twin´s and the SM11 side by side,
with level matched switching from a dangerous monitor st, in a treated control room.

first of all, the SM11 are definitely in a complete other class of it´s own....just no contest!! felt like 2 octaves deeper, much easier mids/highs, 300% clearer depth & imaging....pretty much what I expected!

BUT....to me the Solo6 were CLEARLY superior to the Twins, never really realized this, but it was obvious....superior imaging & depth, much less aggressive/blurred hi-mid range...easier on the ears...and considerable bit closer to a "faithful" speaker.

ymmv, but I found it really odd and I was not the only engineer in the room

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search