The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focal Twin 6 : hisssssss...
Old 28th October 2018
Here for the gear

My Twin 6 Be are noisy. It's a weird digital kind of noise which does NOT change in level whether I switch between -10 dB or +4 dBu. Nor does the treble tone control affect the level of noise. The noise is also the same level regardless of whether they're connected to my Motu card or not.

This tells me that the noise is coming from something that sits AFTER the level switch and the tone control.

PS: I wonder why they decided to offer only this ridiculously loud gain setting, and no pad whatsoever. If I turned them up to the max, my neighbours would not be pleased. I'll pretty much never need the top 20 dB of what they can do.
Old 15th November 2018
Here for the gear

I haven't found a way to pad the internal gain to reasonable levels, but I've found ways to reduce the noise:

1) Place the speaker in a faraday cage.
2) Move the speaker to a location far away from mobile antennas, wifi access points and similar radio emitting sources.

Number 2 is horribly impratical for a person like me who likes living in the city, so instead I made a crude version of method 1 by placing an iron plate on each side of the speaker. This creates the shielding that the speaker should have had internally.

I guess it was designed before every single person had a smartphone and an access point in their home.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search