The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How much would you pay...
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

How much would you pay...

O.K., I think the title says it all.

Looking for used prices on the benchmarks -- consumer to consumer, i.e.: hand-to-hand sale, no complicated shipping or other issues. Call it the "good buddy fair used price."

Maybe we could have a Gearslutz Blue Book...
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano
O.K., I think the title says it all.

Looking for used prices on the benchmarks -- consumer to consumer, i.e.: hand-to-hand sale, no complicated shipping or other issues. Call it the "good buddy fair used price."

Maybe we could have a Gearslutz Blue Book...

I don't know the answer to the first part, but the last sentance I agree with totally. Good call.
Old 9th August 2005
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Prepal looks interesting. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but browsing the lists was pretty cool. I wonder where they get their #s (eBay completed listings?).
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

not a bad site that one.

i think its a great idea...
let me start... id pay... hmmm... $500 for a used SSL G+....
any takers???
heh
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

You too? I agree with that as well.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

O.K.: How much would you pay:

Digi 192 or 96

Apogee AD-16

Neumann U-87 (list vintages, if desired)

Neve 1073 and/or clones (specify)

Mac G4 or G5 systems

Digi 002 Rack

MPC, Motif, MBox, Distressor, Avalon 737sp

Here are some >I< am curious about:

Soundelux U-195
Manley cardioid
Sony C800G

Prices on a lot of the higher end gear are hard to come by. Forget about EBay completed items searching -- there's just too few of 'em, and normal markdowns for used gear don't apply. However, the GS (hey, my initials!) community, I believe, can arrive at reasonable market values...
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Digi 002R = $800-$850
U87 = $1800-1900
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

MBox = $350 (with 6.7) or $300 (with 6.2)
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

How about the Avalon 737sp? I see 'em on craigslist L.A. all the time.

The reason I want some of these market rates is so I can buy, use, and sell a couple of pieces -- if I buy a 737 for $1350 and sell it for $1300, it's a $50 'rental.' Heck, if I sell it for $1400, I just made a few bucks. But I'd rather avoid being on the losing end for a couple hundred $$$, of course...
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

I've seen those sell for 1500. I wouldn't buy one for that much, but I know alot of other people that would.

I too have thought about doing the "buy then sell" thing. You used to be able to snag some great stuff from pawn shops, but ebay changed all that. I think back to before the internet and seeing some things that I'd kill for today for cheap as hell. Then I had no idea what it was, but now I wish I had them, if only for the bank I'd make selling it.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

There's a 737sp for $1400 on craigslist L.A. right now.

Another thing about the buy/'rent'/sell thing is that I'd rather have a piece that's a studio standard than an esoteric beauty which is impossible to sell (even at a fair price). I mean, I've seen people have to drop prices to ridiculous levels on very nice pieces because they can't get somebody to blow $1500 to $2500 on something they're not 100% sure they're gonna love, even if they believe it MIGHT be the s&*t.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

I've got a pretty decent some of money coming in the couple of months. Most of that is going towards gear that I want, but can rent out and make money off it.

I've got a friend that makes serious bank from rentals. He's got some vintage stuff that I've never even heard of, and he'll go months without seeing it. He could probably live off the money from that. Thats what I want to do

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search