The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One more Folcrom Question.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Guru

One more Folcrom Question.

For complicated reasons, I'm only using 14 channels of the Folcrom right now.

Is it OK if I use Channels 3-16 instead of 1-14 and just turn off Channels 1 & 2.

I don't really know how it's wired and if it really matters.

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2005
Put Scotch Tape over the unused patch holes or electricity will escape and get out into the room and maybe electrocute everyone.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Put Scotch Tape over the unused patch holes or electricity will escape and get out into the room and maybe electrocute everyone.
Isn't it passive?

And eveyone says that you brits don't have a sense of humor!!

Actually that's usually me saying that.

I'm actually not sure if it matters. There are no stupid questions?

Although, now that I think about it ..........
Old 9th August 2005
member no 666

They have a sense of humor, it's just usually rather dry... more based on subtle irony and silliness than the more brash and brazen American humor. In this case however, Jules is correct [on a technical level] about covering the first couple of unused holes on the patchbay.

While the unit is passive there is some airborne radiated high voltage transfer that occurs when the first couple of channels remain unassigned in a passive summing application. The phenomenon was first discussed in a white paper by David R. Berchard [AES, NAB] in 1947. It has been known as the Berchard Effect ever since. While rare, there have been several serious injuries and I believe one death that has resulted from the Berchard Effect.

There is a flip side in that if you do cover the holes on your jackfield for the unused earlier channels, and don't assign those channels to the mix buss, you will find a .018db increase in signal to noise performance per two channels not assigned. This benefit is also stated in the Berchard paper.

Peace.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

heh heh heh heh
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

All the channels are identical, it doesn't matter which ones you use. The one thing that is important is that you shut off (un-assign) any channels that don't have something plugged into them. By "something" I mean an audio source, not just a patchbay. The passive summing network depends on a predictably low-impedance source on all channels, such as a line-level output on some other piece of gear. When you unassign a Folcrom channel, the source is disconnected and this low impedance is provided internally.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Guru

A real answer.

How refreshing. Thanks.
Old 8th September 2005
Quote:
forget Slippy.. Jules wins.

Old 8th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was funny!!!!!!!!! ****, I just spit coffee through my nose!
Old 8th September 2005
Lives for gear

Maybe Stadium Rocker can chip in here with his thoughts...... heh

Man I miss that thread...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search