The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
lcd monitor
Old 24th April 2003
Bernard 
lcd monitor

I'm tracking stock fender jazz bass through GR Mp2nv to Rosetta to PT le sitting in front of my computer. I was pretty pleased with the results till I soloed the tracks through headphones. I'm having a real problem with noisy tracks. Even when playing full out I can hear a nasty humming sound that's driving me crazy and I'm not sure I want to and/or can use these tracks. How much of this noise will an LCD monitor eliminate. Any other replacement pickups that have the Fender sound without the Fender noise.

Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

it really depends. Have you really isolated the source to be the CRT monitor?

It's probably more of a grounding issue and/or bad power. Are you running any line conditioners... Some things to look out for... are

-Lights, do you have any dimmers, etc.
-Grounding issues, make sure things are grounded from the same source.
-how is the power in your area

some things you may want to try....first..

first -a normal power strip that helps with electrical interferance
then -a actual line conditioner, voltage regulartor
then -if things get really rough, get a balanced power unit.

Furman makes all of the above. I know there are better units out there, but that is a starting place. I would invest in better power sources before a LCD monitor. I've had both and don't notice a difference, although, I don't track guitars much.
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Addict

LCD monitors are especially friendly with single coil pickup guitars like teles & strats vs your normal "radiation cannon". I also feel better working in front of them for long periods..
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Nut

I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but did you try turning off the CRT monitor while tracking? At least you'll know if it's the monitor that way.
Old 24th April 2003
tld
Here for the gear

As MMazurek said, just try turning it off and you'll know. But I think you'll find, as I did, that most of your hum is in fact being caused by the CRT. All that goes away with an LCD. I record with a strat near my monitor all the time. With a CRT I had to turn it off and 'fly blind' when tracking anything important. Especially with single coil pickups the LCD is a must have.

Tom
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Nut

I likewise ditched my CRT for a Cinema Display and I can record guitars in the control room with no hum.
Old 24th April 2003
Mindreader

It's worse on basses 'cos that fuzz is right in the wrong place.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

as a small heads up, i purchased two HP l1815 lcd displays. they were 600 a piece, and they are great. they have the thinnest bezel i've found, so two next to each other look great with little interuption between. with 18.1 inches of display each, it's very nice. much cheaper than some of the other options, has all the i/o you'd want and they have worked well for me in the four months i've been using them. much less heat and noise in the control room, and now they are right up against some monitor speakers with no effect at all. a great purchase, i highly recommend them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search