The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your Favorite Song of All Time
Old 7th November 2008
Gear Head

"Glosoli" - Sigur Ros

This song moves me in ways that I cannot describe, it makes me cry every time I listen to it. The ending of the song is so powerful and epic.

I am normally not a fan of music videos, but the video they made for this song is simply beautiful and fits the song well.
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

All-time: "Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison, because nobody's ever sung better than Roy Orbison, it's got a killer guitar riff, I love the tinkling piano in the background, the drum beat is outrageous, great production which jumps out of the speakers even today, it has a dramatic ending, it's got sex appeal, and it's just an operatic sex song. The perfect single, kinda unsurpassable.

This year: (even though it was recorded a few years ago)
"Essence" - Lucinda Williams (the Live At The Fillmore version) Outrageous lyrics, super sexy delivery, really rocking psychedelic/alt-country three piece backing with great dynamics and fabulous live tone/mastering
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

"So much trouble" Bob Marley
"Let Me Ride" Dr. Dre
"Aja" Steely Dan
Old 7th November 2008
Gear Guru

1."Does anybody really know what time it is " Chicago YouTube - Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
2. Hello Its Me...... The great Todd Rundgren YouTube - Todd Rundgren - Hello Its Me

Christmas Song : Simply having a Wonderful Christmas time. Paul Mc.
2. Merry Christmas Darling, Carpenters
Old 7th November 2008
eor
Gear Addict

lover, you should have come over- jeff buckley

i have at least 10 different versions of it. all gold. but the album version is still my favorite. i just never stopped listening to it. i remember thinking one day, "holy ****, this is my favorite song of all time". and so it was. he did a leonard cohen cover that was kinda ok, too.

love,
eor

this thread made me pull up itunes and listen to a few songs. "grace" and "let down" (my favorite radiohead song) especially.
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

Ok let me break from the serious section!!!!

Song= " I'm Telling You Now"

by= Freddie and the Dreamers

why= I can do the dance.
Glenn.
Old 7th November 2008
Gear Head

"Nice 'n' Easy" as recorded by Frank Sinatra

Most really great songs are downers, like "Midnight Train to Georgia." I mean, that's a great song, sung just right, but it's awfully sad.

But "Nice 'n' Easy" proves that a good cheery song can be great, too.
Old 7th November 2008
Gear Head

Band: Hawkwind

Track(s): Spirit of The Age, Silver Machine, Orgone Accumulator

Why?: Why Not?
Old 8th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Stairway to Heaven

Yeah...Stairway to Heaven.

Unimaginative? Check! Overplayed? Check! The greatest rock and roll song ever? Quite possibly.

I'm wondering why we're on page 7 and nobody has mentioned it (if someone did, sorry I missed it). I'd say the proverbial cat is out of the bag. heh

Let the crucifixion begin!
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Love Reign over Me
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Addict

Tom Waits - 'Tom Traubert's Blues'

Beautiful melody.
Epic lyrics.
Sweeping orchestration.
Amazing vocal delivery.....

YouTube - Tom Traubert's Blues - A Visual Harmony

I don't know why this song isn't more widely well known outside of Tom Waits fans.
Old 5th December 2008
Mho
Lives for gear

Tomorrow never knows - The beatles
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Today, 'Midnight Train to Georgia' - Gladys Knight and the Pips.

Amazing in every way. Bob Babbits awesomely syncopated bass line, Gladys' amazing vocal performance, R&B at it's complete finest.

When Gladys Knight sings 'I'd rather live in his world, than be without him in mine' you believe it.

Tommorrow it'll be something else.

g
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Avery View Post
Tom Waits - 'Tom Traubert's Blues'

Beautiful melody.
Epic lyrics.
Sweeping orchestration.
Amazing vocal delivery.....

YouTube - Tom Traubert's Blues - A Visual Harmony

I don't know why this song isn't more widely well known outside of Tom Waits fans.
+1 My absolute favorite Tom Waits song. In Fact, small change is my favorite overall Waits record.
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Maniac

My favorite song is always changing, but at the moment it's probably "Go to the Mirror" by The Who.

Of course, the entire album it great, but if one song sums it up for me, it would be this one.
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Nut

Hmmmmmmmmmm...............

I would have to say?

Otis Redding
"Sittin On The Dock Of The Bay"

That song is just so damn reflective. Every time I hear it, I just want to go sit on a dock somewhere and, .......reflect.

Blue Bongo
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb37000 View Post
A day in life / The beatles

Everytime I listen to that song I'm amazed by it, by lennon's voice, by how they glued two pieces of music together and it sound natural, by lennons lyrics that where taken from a news paper, by the hole symphonic thing in the song.
Theres like a relaxed feel to it with lennon's part then some urge with paul's part, its pure magic. I could listen to that song over and over and still be amazed every time
I'll second that - still makes my spine tingle

Also I would add (now, now chaps) Star Trek -First Contact the main theme The balance of the strings and brass in that piece of music and the way they interchange is emotional genius.

Mike
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Harms View Post
"Glosoli" - Sigur Ros

This song moves me in ways that I cannot describe, it makes me cry every time I listen to it. The ending of the song is so powerful and epic.

I am normally not a fan of music videos, but the video they made for this song is simply beautiful and fits the song well.
Damn straight... that video and song are pure art.

Favorite song of all time? There isn't one.
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Shock

I usually try to avoid reading this kind of thread, but I just can't help it -- it's like driving past a car wreck. You just have to look. But when you do, it can get ugly real fast. Favorite song of a gearslutter? Based upon past threads, I would have guessed "Dust in the Wind" or "Thriller" or "Freebird" or some other banality gleaned from classic rock radio. Right?

Apparently not. I was floored to see the following gems listed in this thread: "God Only Knows," "Grace," "Tom Traubert's Blues," "In Germany Before the War," "Third World Man," "Gimme Shelter," "Kangaroo" (yes!), "Glosoli," "Thirteen," and "Tomorrow Never Knows."

What's going on?
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Firebaugh View Post
+1 My absolute favorite Tom Waits song. In Fact, small change is my favorite overall Waits record.
I think Nighthawks at The Diner is one Waits album that deserves alot more credit than it gets, its my personal favourite, but whenever I ask someone their favourite they usually answer either Closing Time, Small Change, Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, or Mule Variations, or often they reply "oh I havn't got around to listening to that one yet, any good?"

"It's his fricken best one!!" *smack*

All in my humble opinion of course!
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Honkey Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones

Must have been the humid Muscle Shoals air or sumpin' - out of this world Phatt-ness - Sounds like a Bel-Ami Juke Box on overload - rich and warm. Guitar riff's from Heaven. Everyone seemed to be on fire that session, band, Horns, Piano, BV's, engineer, producer and although it is a tapestry woven with intertwining gtr's you get the over all (but falce) impression you are following ONE joyous guitar part all the way through the song. I think the locals swamped em with hot sauce talent on that one. Hot stuff
i'm right with you on honky tonk women. I think that was recorded in london though, or maybe L.A. I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure they didn't do it in muscle shoals. I think they did "you got to move" and another one there but not this song.

Freaking awesome song though! I don't know if there is a more definitive "stones" track than that. Jimmy Miller!!! the more i read this thread, the more i am reminded of my favorites. it's too hard to pick one
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Maniac

I think I'll go with "dreams I'll never see" Allman Brothers Band. The vocal is like Gregg is on his deathbed staring down satan. wounded but defiant. the drums are jazzy like a miles davis record but rock at the right moments. the bass line! that thing is swingin but wicked. and of course Duane's solo. the nicest slow les paul front pickup fat sound ever, and then he picks up the slide. gives me chills every time i hear it. spooky gloomy ass number! what a vibeheh
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Guru

"A Mighty Fortress Is Our God," because it's got a different chord change for every syllable. By far the hippest tune in the Hymnal.
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Fav Song

'Photograph' - Def Leppard

- Mutt and Mike Shipley are amazing....
- Vocal performance coaxed out of Joe Elliot was done flawlessly by 'Mutt'
- Drum sounds are amazing...
- Guitar Tones are amazing
- Backup Vocals are REALLY amazing and perfectly arranged and balanced incredibly with gutiars so everything is clear.

Others on the same level but with different emotional value:(I had to, sorry)

Human Nature - Michael Jackson - Quincy is a genius with synths and programming...way ahead of the game...was when Mikey was at his prime...

'We Danced Anyway' - Deanna Carter - probably the most perfect kick and bass relationship I've ever heard. Kick is punchy, deep and full without taking a thing from the fullness of the bass.

'Life's a Bitch' - Shooter - most of the tones are unusable for most other songs, but they are absolutely perfect for the energy of this song....therefore, engineer and producer did their job damn well...
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
'Photograph' - Def Leppard

Human Nature - Michael Jackson - Quincy is a genius with synths and programming...way ahead of the game...was when Mikey was at his prime...
Written by Steve Porcaro, BTW.

-Ben B
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

Fly Me To The Moon - written by Bart Howard in 1954
Old 6th December 2008
Lives for gear

"Stain on the Sun" by The Bevis Frond.
It's so emotional, it's real, honest and credible. It feels like playing that song is the last thing the band ever did. I also love the guitar solo and how the drums are played. When I got the record "New River Head" it was somehow awkward to me. I came from listening to Heavy Metal and this record opened the door to much more for me, especially this song.
Claus
Old 6th December 2008
Gear Addict

Song many great songs that I totally agree with in this 3 year old thread, so I'm going to throw out a couple that haven't been mentioned.

- I wanna take you Higher/Dance to the Music - Sly and the Family Stone
- Rainy Night in Georgia - Tony Joe White wrote it, Brooks Benton recorded it, but my favorite version is Sam Moore and Conway Twitty's Duet version.

Maybe we should make a Gearslutz playlist out on iTunes with all the songs on this thread....
Old 6th December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOU View Post
Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day -Jethro Tull

why?
-meaningful and interesting lyrics
-interesting instrumentation and arrangement
-great flow and dynamics
-goose bumps everytime that distorted guitar comes in.

Honorable Mention (from the cds and mp3s within arms reach...)
Thirteen - Big Star
Hear Comes the Sun -Beatles
Let there be Rock -AC/DC
It's Late -Queen
Let it Loose - Rolling Stones
Even in the Quietest Moments - Supertramp
Day After Day -Badfinger
Zombie -Fela Kuti
Amazing song! Kills me every time I hear it.
Old 6th December 2008
Gear Nut

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search