The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your Favorite Song of All Time
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Madonna's worth how much 3-500 million and she's boohooing about people "stealing" her music ????

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww poor baby....
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

How much is that pot head Sir Paul McCartney worth ??? Not bad for a doper.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

The Star Spangled Banner - performed live before a National Motocross event

-because I'm a patriot, it gives me goose bumps and sometimes brings me to tears.

I might be a wuss too
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
It's interesting to see the slanderous remark about Ashlee tied into my Elton John remark, on this forum, as EJ has gone on record saying how much he dislikes Ashlee....so my only comment about Elton John is EEEWWWWWWWW !!!!!!

You'll never catch me at an EJ concert.....
It would be wasted on you anyways.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Since I've been loving you - Led Zepplin

Not really my favorite - but one that I can't see myself ever getting sick of. I think it was a very inspired performance. I feel everyone of Pages notes as if I were playing it myself. Plant is wearing his heart on his shoulder....I dunno, I can just feel it.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Nut

Alice in Chains - Over Now

the ending is surreal
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

For the last couple of weeks it has been:

Freedom Suite by the Young Disciples.

Word.

Old 13th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

This thread should be printed and mailed to every freakin' record executive in the world so they can notice 99% of their current "talent" roster is missing from a thread where guys who care about music and sound say what they like.

War

PS: I'd like to put a shout in for "I Want You / She's So Heavy" as a top contender anyhow...incredible emotion.

War
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
This thread should be printed and mailed to every freakin' record executive in the world so they can notice 99% of their current "talent" roster is missing from a thread where guys who care about music and sound say what they like.

War

PS: I'd like to put a shout in for "I Want You / She's So Heavy" as a top contender anyhow...incredible emotion.

War
eh, they could care less. the target audience for pop music is not us.

ditto on "i want you". the heavy part in that tune (all the arp patterns) may be the heaviest part to any rock song ever. strange that there's none of the "heavy" cliches (screaming w/ distortion on your voice, power chords, etc, copped bonham beat). that **** is just evil sounding....like the "end of the world" noise at the end as well
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

and your vote for the Pixies speaks volumes.

Have fun listening to EJ. I'd prefer silence.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Time to Say Goodbye
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Guru

10cc's 'Not in Love'. This song is unlike any other I've heard. Immediately puts you in a whole nother' world.

Quiet. Big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry...
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
10cc's 'Not in Love'. This song is unlike any other I've heard. Immediately puts you in a whole nother' world.

Shhhhhh, big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry...
There was a 'making of' article about 'Not in Love' in a recent SOS. Those guys were ahead of their time. They made multi-layered loops of the BG vocals, one for each note, then placed the set on a multi-track and 'played' it using faders on the console. Amazing sound for then (and now). Cool song too.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Have fun listening to EJ. I'd prefer silence.
Unfortunately, we'd never be that lucky from you.

Sorry, I shouldn't feed the troll. I'll shut up now.
Old 13th August 2005
Elton John - Tiny Dancer & Your Song
Lez Zeppelin - Since i´ve been loving you
Pink Floyd - Wish you where here
Jamiroquai - King for a day
and much more....
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

awww wazza matter, did I diss your idol ??

dfegad

That's what you guys get for dissin' Ashlee. heh
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

Surf's Up by Brian Wilson/BeachBoys. I can't help but cry everytime at the end of that song. So much humanity...too much.

I have a crush on Brian Wilson.....
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

MARRS - Anitina (The First Time I See She Dance)

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

comfortably numb- pink floyd

I've listened to this song a silly number of times. It never grows old to me and i still to this day shed a small tear when i hear it. Not because it reminds me of a personal experience or anything like that but just cause it sounds so damn beautiful.

a super close second would have to be the rain song by zep.

Other than that, i might of picked something by tori amos. Maybe "precious things" or "cooling".
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Joy Division - Love will tear us apart

A truely deep and profound song written so simpley that it is masterful.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've given this a lot of thought...

I've got it down to a close call between "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys and "Winter" from Tori Amos.

One just floats me away, one just tears my heart out.

So far, that's as close as I can get to a fave.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystr Tiger
There was a 'making of' article about 'Not in Love' in a recent SOS. Those guys were ahead of their time. They made multi-layered loops of the BG vocals, one for each note, then placed the set on a multi-track and 'played' it using faders on the console. Amazing sound for then (and now). Cool song too.
I had to "get in the mood" and play this song today. My album must be over 25 years old and still sounds perfect. No pops, scratches, noise, or anything. thumbsup

I forgot just how awesome it us. (Why was that pointless remake done, anyway?)
The soundscapes, transitions, vocal pads, etc. on this song are simply out of this world. And it is one song that you just want to crank up loud, none of the modern harshness, brightness and such today's music.

30 years of advancement in recording, keyboards, vocal techniques since this song was made (1975) and yet ...

Old 13th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Ok, two parter.

1. Name your favorite song of all time. ONE song only. No ties. No honorable mentions. ONE song.

2. Explain why.

I'll go first:

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel

First of all, it's a beautiful, well written song, second the recording is unbelievably beautiful. From what I remember it was recorded in a hundreds of years old church in New York with nothing but a couple of tube mics (probably Neumann U47's) into some old pres and then into Fairchild limiters and that's it. So simple and so pure.

The vocal delivery by Art is unbelievable. The song has so much soul.

Simply vocal, piano, minimal drums and bass at the end and wonderful strings and that's it.
To give credit where it is due, a lot of the beauty comes from the incredible orchestration by my dear friend and mentor Jimmie Haskell who won a Grammy for this arrangement.

His other Grammys are for "Ode To Billie Joe" by Bobby Gentry. Starts out with a single guitar and blossoms into incredible strings which match the lyrics perfectly. I would recommend any aspiring producer and/or arranger to listen to this track.

3rd Grammy for "If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago. What can I say. Superb!

Audy O
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
"3rd World Man" by Steely Dan
Was waiting for someone to mention this. Excellent choice!
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

this is too tuff

I really love these threads!!!!

but man it's too hard to pick only one...

so I got it down to two...

"Trackstar" from Shudder To Think's pony express record, NEVER FAILS!!!!

and Monk's "Misterioso" preferebly w/ Monk, Rouse, Gales and Riley.

it also has never let me down.

next time,
jfg

P.S.

"Babylon Sisters" can you say Purdy shuffle?
oops thats three...
this aint fair
Old 14th August 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

"Hello, It's Me" - Todd Rundgren ( Something/Anything?)
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

ahhhhhhhh alright !! I just got back from seeing one of my top ten picks perform live in concert......ya baby 2nd row center, ....I'm a happy camper now.....

Kasey Chambers !!!!!! Just did a great show here in Cleveland, played to a packed house, and did an acoustic version of "The Capatain", that was just awesome !!!! aaaannnnddd, They recorded the show to be broadcast on the radio and internet.......

Two encores !!

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

for more info, goto...

http://www.kaseychambers.com/
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Maniac

We belong together (Rickie Lee Jones)

I cant tell you exactly why but each time i listen to this song, it moves me.
The singer, the musicians, the song, the lyrics, the arrangments and the engineering, it might be the one and only song that seems to me REALLY perfect.
Old 21st October 2008
Lives for gear

Heart of Saturday Night

Heart of Saturday Night, Tom Waits, actually the whole album Heart of Saturday Night from 1974 would produce 5 of my top 10. If his "Glitter and Doom" tour plays near by go see him, 1000 miles is reasonable, its the most entertaining "Vaudeville" show in 75 years if not ever, regards ,,deda,,
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfavila View Post
i can't believe nobody's said it, but here you go

God Only Knows by the Beach Boys

A great one -- McCartney's favorite song, I do believe.

I know this is cheating, a bit, but for my money the best-ever single is Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever.

Penny Lane so perfectly captures joy.... hard to write a song that's happy, not sappy.

SFF is a great song about self awareness, with a typical Lennon mix of concrete images, thoughts and a conversational vocal pattern.

My favorite song, though, is either Hey Jude or Let It Be, depending upon my mood.... with "Golden Slumbers" right up there too.

Such expressive vocals, restrained production (even the Spectorized version of "LIB" is ok). If Golden Slumbers were a full song instead of a snippet, it might have been the best thing Paul ever wrote.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search