The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peluso CM-47SE vrs Advanced Audio CM-47
Old 29th March 2010
Here for the gear

cm47 sample

this is an inside joke song that im workin on just for fun. kinda just testin out the mic. the beat is from rocketpro and im going through a tc interface. this is the stock cm47.
Attached Files

My Song 210.mp3 (2.03 MB, 1909 views)

Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

sounds great and funny
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Head

I have to say that Dave was very good to me. I sent him a 460 to mod and I had no problems. The mic sounds great. Credit where credit is due.
Old 1st July 2010
Gear Nut

I own about 7 of his mics, and use them to make records every day. They are not the worlds best mics, but for the money, I haven't found anything that beats them.

I also turned another local studio on to them, and they have a few now. One of the engineers uses his u87, and AA's CM87 as a stereo pair for OH"s

I originally owned one of Dave's custom built cm47's with the peluso capsule and I ended up buying a stereo pair of his cm47's, because I thought the hi end sounder silkier on his.
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

I know this is an old thread,but I bought a CM-87 off Greg "thevoiceactor" in may 2010.The mic sounds great and it was one of the strangest deals I have ever made on gearslutz,and I have made a lot.
Why did he have your mic for a whole year after bashing you and then sold it if it was so bad.It may not have been right for his voice,or was it even the mic after all?

There are a lot of factors that go into even judging this.
What preamp are you using?
Is your room setup for critical listening?Bass traps,great monitors,etc.?
You can't trust headphones either.
Some people don't have ears for critical listening.
Heck,I know mine are a little off when I can listen to a mic shootout one night and clearly hear the differences in the mics,and a few weeks later with a little head cold I cant hear the difference,Granted I am not in my studio,but I have a couple of good bass traps in my office and room corrected monitors.
Old 21st September 2010
I love my AA CM12SE.
Happy customer right here! thumbsup
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJuice View Post
Let me add info on the jollymod. It still is a good microphone with high detail. But for rock vocals it did not do well. It distorted way to easy. I see this microphone for instuments, spoken word, and voice overs. Really great for voice overs because it's not siblant and it's a very quiet microphone. Just to clarify.
btw - its an OktavaMod MK-219 modified by me, Michael Joly and has done quite well on quite a few rock and screamo vocals. Listen to one here.
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian J. Ludwig View Post
I love my AA CM12SE.
Happy customer right here! thumbsup
I ordered one but they are running behind a little
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
btw - its an OktavaMod MK-219 modified by me, Michael Joly and has done quite well on quite a few rock and screamo vocals. Listen to one here.

I love my Apex 205's w/joly mod,they will not leave my overheads.
I do have an old NT1 that will be heading your way though.
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Nut

I own the aa cm47se, cm67, and cm12se. I also have access to excellently maintained u47 and u67 mics. After replacing the stock tubes in the aa mics with good nos ge tubes from the 60s, I think they are on par the neumanns.

They sound different, all of them, not better. I still like to have the neumanns around as an option when I'm doing lead vocals because of the pleasingly extended detail, and that sometimes they're just the right color for the track. But I don't see the need beyond that, other than just to be able to say I used a u47 on this or the other song. And I don't do much of that.

I find the performance itself, and having the choice of colors to get a good fit with the track makes much more of a difference.
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

...an associate of mine brought his Advanced Audio CM47 over to my studio to have me swap out the stock Electro-Harmonix 12AY7/6072 with an original NOS GE black-plate 3 mica 6072...I had a chance to demo the mic and compare it with my Rode NT Classic I (also with a 6072 based circuit)...not too shabby!...sounded very good...not quite as smooth as the Classic, but a bit more thick sounding...I like the mic's character...

...the thing I noticed was that Dave Thomas isn't modding these stock AA mics any more...looks as though he's having them manufactured with the modded circuit specifications straight from the factory (ShaiYin Electronics?)...there's no sign of any modifications...just original factory manufactured circuit board, upgraded tranny and capsule...I guess it makes his life simpler...anyone have pics of the earlier aftermarket modded circuits that Dave does on his customers' own Nady 1050s?...I'd love to compare...or even pics of Peluso's circuit would be interesting...c'mon, pull off that mic shell and show us the goods!...my pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Peluso CM-47SE vrs Advanced Audio CM-47-cm47circuit.jpg   Peluso CM-47SE vrs Advanced Audio CM-47-aa-cm47tube.jpg  
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

The sound of CM-47SE

For those of you wanting to hear the sound of the CM-47SE version, check out this post.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7658265-post916.html

All vocal was recorded with CM-47SE, its a really nice mic (in my mic locker are U87ai, AT4060, SE Titan, among others) and Dave gives premium info and support even though I got mine second hand, he is a really nice guy. On my wish list are defenitely two more of his mics (U67 and C12 clones). Enjoy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search