The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ribbon mics on guitar cabs ? Ribbon Microphones
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz View Post
How do Ribbons travel.

If I were to get one sent to me from USA how would it go in the post or UPS etc???

Should I expect it to be damaged ???

Can anyone say something bad about a Fathead who owns one ??

Don't forget a friend of mine will not eat rump steak because it's cheep.

He will only have eye fillet or Sirloin... He doesn't know how good a $2 piece of meat can taste?? So if you just spent many ,000s on a ribbon I don't want your opinion ...only if you also own a Fathead...
Again here..
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Addict

i had real nice luck on a tracking session with the 2 guitarists amps in the same room. i got them at equal volumes and close mic'ed each with an M160, then room mic'ed about 6' back in between the two amps with an RCA 44bx and royer 121 in MS with the RCA doing the mid and the royer doing the sides. i got great tone and separation with the room mics and will favor those in the mix.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Thoughts?....Well, I love my R92 on guitar cabs....best mic I've ever heard mixed in with either a PR30, i5, 421 or sm7b.

Warnings? - Just use a pop filter and you'll be fine. For around $200, you can get a CAD Trion 7000, which will give you a very typical dark sound out of the ribbon, but again, mix it in with your typical dynamic mic (cuz ribbons are technically dynamics as well) for more of that modern bite and you should be fine.

I specifically like my AEA R92 because it has two different sounds, the front is bright, almost condenserish and the back is warm, moreso made for guitars. I pretty much leave it up on the cab with the backside facing the speaker literally about an inch from the grill...only just enough room to get the pop filter in there. Another cool thing about using the backside of the AEA ribbon is that it has reverse phase, so when you put another mic up, when they're in phase, it's very obvious and easier to gauge proper mic placement of the other dynamic.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by godcity View Post
i had real nice luck on a tracking session with the 2 guitarists amps in the same room. i got them at equal volumes and close mic'ed each with an M160, then room mic'ed about 6' back in between the two amps with an RCA 44bx and royer 121 in MS with the RCA doing the mid and the royer doing the sides. i got great tone and separation with the room mics and will favor those in the mix.
I'd love to hear a sample "God"....
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Maniac

my 2 cents..

I currently use cascade fathead II 's with the stereo bar.

I have had a royer r121..

To me the royer was to muddy.. it has a thicker ribbon than the cascade

You can get 4 fatheads for the price of the royer.

You could blow 3 ribbons and still have 1 left!

My guitars sounds rich and airy with these mics and wouldnt even care to use any other..

I am musician and record my own music..so every penny counts for me..

When i got the cascade mics i was very impressed on guitars.. drums.. room.. vocals.. acoustic guitar..

GOod luck!
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Fletcher;4225562]The only ribbon mic I've ever met that can be used on a kik drum is the Crowley and Tripp "el diablo" [which is discontinued...QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dacart;4226811]For a really good and relatively inexpensive ribbon for guitars I would highly recommend the Naked Eye by Crowley and Tripp recently bought by Shure. I'm pretty sure you can still get one for under a grand these days.

A Naked Eye Roswellite will take a kick drum, sounds freat on guitar cabs, and you never have to worry about hurting it. Great mic
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
I LOOOOOVE using my coles 4040 on Pedal Steel amps. I also use my beyer m160 all the time...in conjunction with a sm57. Nice sound..
hmmmm...... I thought that I was the only person who liked to put a Coles 4040 in front of a speaker.
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
hmmmm...... I thought that I was the only person who liked to put a Coles 4040 in front of a speaker.
Ya know...
The real point of this is... if you have the mic, try it in whatever configuration you think might work, if you don't have it then either borrow or rent one and try it. Asking someone how something sounds in a forum like this becomes a point of diminishing returns if you're not clear of the context from which you're asking.

I do hope that's clear.

Dan Carter
Old 14th June 2009
Gear Nut

el Diablo wasn't discontinued, has been available since its release, and will continue to be too

Bob

Soundwave Research Laboratories: Search results for roswellite
Old 14th June 2009

I'm done with ribbons and loud amps. I torched a few ribbons and gave up. I personally don't get the appeal. I think dynamics are the way to go. To much useless low end and womp with most ribbons. Though I've sung into the Crowley and Tripp and thought it was a stunning mic.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I personally don't get the appeal

The appeal is the sound. a 57 will not do what a good ribbon can do..ever.

Ribbons to me sound miles better than any dynamic mic.I mean..it is like comparing a riding lawnmower to a Aston Martin.. Ive used the Coles on loud guitar amps, (and the Beyer), with no issues whatsoever. No "low end womp" (whatever that is??)..just beautiful, glorious sound.
Old 15th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
The appeal is the sound. a 57 will not do what a good ribbon can do..ever.

Ribbons to me sound miles better than any dynamic mic.I mean..it is like comparing a riding lawnmower to a Aston Martin.. Ive used the Coles on loud guitar amps, (and the Beyer), with no issues whatsoever. No "low end womp" (whatever that is??)..just beautiful, glorious sound.
lol

Womp is a phrase for low end build up of softness. Whatever works for you I respect. Personally ribbons are to big and soft sometimes, I like the directness and focus of 57/421 when doubled. That combo is used more on big records for guitars then any other mic. So someone out there thinks it's good.

Ribbons were big around the studio in 02'-06', it was the thing (57/121) but the past few years most of us have moved away and back to 421's. My opinion comes from many years of experience with ribbon mics. The problems we found was to much low end when mixing and ribbons can click and fart when in front of high wattage amps that are cranked (Bogner/Diezel etc).

James
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

Womp is a phrase for low end build up of softness. Whatever works for you I respect. Personally ribbons are to big and soft sometimes, I like the directness and focus of 57/421 when doubled. That combo is used more on big records for guitars then any other mic. So someone out there thinks it's good.

Ribbons were big around the studio in 02'-06', it was the thing (57/121) but the past few years most of us have moved away and back to 421's. My opinion comes from many years of experience with ribbon mics. The problems we found was to much low end when mixing and ribbons can click and fart when in front of high wattage amps that are cranked (Bogner/Diezel etc).

James
but james, aren't you running your amps at 11? if so than it's no surprise your killing ribbons and getting extra bottom. that much moving air plus proximity effect, would mean extra accumulated low end. i personally love my fatheads for EG cabs and use them with dynamics: sm57 and i5 and blend between either or use just the ribbon depending on what the song is going for.

rich
Old 3rd July 2009
teo
Lives for gear

So, since I'm about to buy a 121, can we get a definitive answer to this? If I put that mic in front of a loud amp (and I mean loud, not mental but loud), will it take whatever the guitarist throw at it? Palm muting, clean lows, etc...

Should I put a pop filter in front of it? What is going to do with the sound? (I know what it'll do, but, in your experience, will it sound good?
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
So, since I'm about to buy a 121, can we get a definitive answer to this? If I put that mic in front of a loud amp (and I mean loud, not mental but loud), will it take whatever the guitarist throw at it? Palm muting, clean lows, etc...

Should I put a pop filter in front of it? What is going to do with the sound? (I know what it'll do, but, in your experience, will it sound good?
The pop created by an unwitting guitarist who unplugs the guitar, or worse plugs in with the amp volume up is more likely to blow the ribbon than the loud volume the guitar playing. I have removed grille cloths in order to get ribbon mics (Royer, Coles, and AEA) inches from the cone when the sound pressure was totally max. I am mindful to keep the ribbon slightly angled-- supposedly, this helps protect the ribbon! I haven't blown a ribbon yet. I have never used a ribbon for recording bass speaker or kick drum.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm done with ribbons and loud amps. I torched a few ribbons and gave up. I personally don't get the appeal. I think dynamics are the way to go. To much useless low end and womp with most ribbons. Though I've sung into the Crowley and Tripp and thought it was a stunning mic.

too much tubb down below on the high gain amps.

killer for thinner clean tones.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demel View Post

too much tubb down below on the high gain amps.

killer for thinner clean tones.
well, i like it on both. i guess since i am not trying to destroy concrete and melt steel, i am able to get really good response from my high gain amps.
Old 27th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
No not if using it on a guitar cab would blow the mic. And anyway I've done it and it works.

I definitely would NOT use my RCA 74 on a guitar cab......
I do it all the time. Best sound ever
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post

the 121, I dont know about, but a *good* sounding ribbon will work wonders in front of a cab.... the beyer m130 and 160 are both great, as are coles 4040s.
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

I love my Fatheads. I see what James is saying, they aren't the most aggressive of mics, they don't have the bite of a 421 or 57, and can sound "pillowy", but personally, I like the added detail, and the low mid character. But I tend towards darker, woodier guitar tones. The FHII/421 combo is my current fave, but keep in mind that I do mainly industrial and electronica, so I always have to balance my guitar sounds with a lot of keys and vocal effects.
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

I love the 421/57 combo on heavy guitar tracks too.
Even though the Blue Woodpecker is a higher output ribbon design (I was warned it would sound more similar to an LDC than a ribbon), I found that it really shines where an LDC would be proper on guitars, but it tames that high end sizzle an LDC can have, it really does round off and soften the highs and lows like a ribbon without the proximity effect from a ribbon. It's interesting.
I went in to buy an AEA R84 and came out with the Woodpecker. I like it better on a guitar than my AA CM-67 LDC. It has the clarity and mid range focus with a bit of the "warmth" associated with ribbons.
The ribbon purists won't allow you to buy a Woodpecker, because it really isn't a ribbon in their books, but that said, it may be totally appropriate for certain situations.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search