The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
new console sounds different... help!
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

new console sounds different... help!

ok, i don't really need help, but this strikes me as a just a little odd.... i had a sony mxp3036 and just installed a trident 80b. monitors are dynaudio bm15a's.
now, i would expect that mixes through this console would sound different. duh... that's why i bought the mofo. but what seems strange is that listening back to CD's sounds different. not better or worse... just different.
of course, the monitor position is now slightly different, and they are bouncing sound off the console differently, but it seems like more of a difference than i would expect.
isn't 2 track switching just a routing function? or is there some amp stages that it's going through which could affect the sound?
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Guru

You are running through different circuitry. Hence thing are different.
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by godcity
isn't 2 track switching just a routing function? or is there some amp stages that it's going through which could affect the sound?
Bingo.

This is why a good outboard monitoring section can set you back $5k.

This is one of the places where some console manufacturers would cut corners.

I would suggest if you don't trust it, get an external monitor control.
Old 8th August 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by godcity
Yes and no.

2-track returns still have to pass through the desks monitor section and whatever circuitry that goes with that for volume control & dimming, mono, op-amps that drive the monitor chain etc. Everything affects the sound in some way. IMHO, as long as the sound isn't offensive and overly colored to a negative degree there isn't a problem. YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search