The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wall of Sound
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Wall of Sound

Hi guys, it's been a while since i posted on here, but anyway here I am again.

So I'm interested in looking into the Spector "Wall of Sound" production style. Is there any decent articles online on the topic? with diagrams etc of where he placed his muso's, amps, mics etc . what sort of gear he used etc. his song arrangements blah blah blah , all the nitty gritty details.

or maybe youse can talk about it a bit and edumacate me. Ta.
Old 8th August 2005
Here for the gear

hi,

i'm not sure about finding the spector techniques but there is a great thread in julys audio technology magazine about the recording of queens of the stoneage with Joe Barresi
who's "wall of sound" style has been compared to that of spectors, especially in Lullabies to Paralyze,

close mabey?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

here's an article interview.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...?oneclick=true

my friend's uncle supposedly played drums on the be my baby sessions. He said things were pretty dissorganized and at times, he wasn't sure if they were recording or not.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutek_oz
hi,

i'm not sure about finding the spector techniques but there is a great thread in julys audio technology magazine about the recording of queens of the stoneage with Joe Barresi
who's "wall of sound" style has been compared to that of spectors, especially in Lullabies to Paralyze,

close mabey?
Close? Hardly!
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Guru

There wsa a good Carol Kaye interview in Tape Op. Might be on their site.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Spector was all about operatic drama and he was B R I L L I A N T at it.

It's all on the records.

Just listen.

If you're not the sort of AE who eould think to drop in some way verbed out castanets on a track on the snare hits. you probably will never WANT to do what he did.

Every thing he did was about supporting the singer and the song.

All of it.

To Phil, DRUMS were a freaking effect.

It's all there. Melt into it... go back to the malt shop, where you could see high drama in the parking lot of the drive-in and all romance was epic.

You'll find Phil there, watching, listening, humming a song he hears in his head.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

From Wikipedia:

Spector's trademark during that era was the so-called Wall of Sound, a production technique yielding a dense, layered effect that was very effective and dramatic, and carried especially well on AM radio and jukeboxes. To attain this signature sound, Spector gathered large groups of musicians (playing some instruments not generally used for ensemble playing, such as electric and acoustic guitars) playing orchestrated parts — often using many instruments playing in unison — for a fuller sound. Dozens of musicians and instruments would be jammed into Spector's tiny Gold Star studio, with the sound reverberating off the walls adding to the effect.

Spector was already known as a temperamental and quirky personality with strong, often unconventional ideas about musical and recording techniques. Despite the trend towards multi-channel recording, Spector was also vehemently opposed to stereo releases, claiming that it took control of the record's sound away from the producer in favor of the listener. Spector also greatly preferred singles to albums, describing LPs as "two hits and ten pieces of junk".

A visionary.

Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

As far as something like it, check out Barry Mraz's work with Benny Mardones, especially on "She's So French".
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

There seems to be a renaissance of this sound, at least in the indie/alt world. Maybe it's supposed to be clever or ironic, I dunno... I've got a few albums this year that have at least one Spector-style track. Check out Biirdie, they have a player on their web page with the new album streamed. Track 3, "Where The Dreamers Go". Also Brendan Benson's new album has one, track 5, "The Pledge", it's even more blatant.

I, for one, really dig that sound...
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think I remember reading that he would listen back in the studio with the speakers almost distorting (really loud).

Mix magazine always has some cool articles about the recordings of hit songs. Check this one:
http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...uve/index.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search