The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mackie Onyx - Good for dynamics and ribbons?
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Mackie Onyx - Good for dynamics and ribbons?

Hi all,
I'm highly considering picking up a Mackie Onyx mixer to feed my DAW. My question concerns the preamps. In my humble studio I use an SM7 mainly for vocals and a 57 for all sorts of things. The specs on the pres look pretty good. The noise level is at -129dBu @ +60dB gain which if actually really good If I'm not mistaken. But what about the headroom on these things? I couldn't interpret the specs from their site; I'm not too much of a techie. The input control range specs at 0dB to +60dB. Maximum mic input is +21dBu. Is this considered a high headroom? Do you think these pres would be fine with dynamics, especially the SM7, considering they need a little more gain? Also, do you think ribbons would do well with this? What do you think? Thanks for any help.

Brandon
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think the Onyx would suit your needs well. I've never used it, but I'm sure it sounds fine. Definitely enough gain for the SM7, the specs are fine, the price is right.
Old 7th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

I've used the Onyx extensively with all types of mics and it plays well every time. Very all purpose, and pushes my R84 with no problems and sounds good.

War
Old 8th August 2005

If you look more closely, you'll probably find that the noise floor is spec'd as an equvallent input noise with the gain at a particular setting (usually low).

Just remember that a low self-noise for a mic is in the neighborhood of -70dB(fs).

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search