The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
hardware digital mixers and summing
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

hardware digital mixers and summing

Sorry this may be a really silly question.

Let's say I do not want to use a computer for tracking and mixing audio - I already use it too much for other things. Really.

I am a musician, and I like hardware.
I have updated just about anything in my home studio in the past two years. The last obsolete object is my trusty Yamaha 03D digital mixer, which I only use at mixing for setting and storing volumes and panpots, and as a very handy digital router. I do not use its pres, converters, and processors, but I still like the idea of a hardware mixer.

My silly question is: is mixing through a hardware digital mixer like in the box mixing? Does it make any sense to keep using my mixer as a front end for the above mentioned purposes, and consider a multi channel D/A converter and a summing box? Would pan pot and volume settings of individual tracks/channels still be effective? Remember, I do not want a computer in my room.

Thank you
best regards
Massimo
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo
Sorry this may be a really silly question.

Let's say I do not want to use a computer for tracking and mixing audio - I already use it too much for other things. Really.

I have updated just about anything in my home studio in the past two years. The last obsolete object is my trusty Yamaha 03D digital mixer, which I only use at mixing for setting and storing volumes and panpots, and as a very handy digital router. I do not use its pres, converters, and processors, but I still like the idea of a hardware mixer.

My silly question is: is mixing through a hardware digital mixer like in the box mixing? Does it make any sense to keep using my mixer as a front end for the above mentioned purposes, and consider a multi channel D/A converter and a summing box? Would pan pot and volume settings of individual tracks/channels still be effective? Remember, I do not want a computer in my room.

Thank you
best regards
Massimo
I mix from Nuendo on a DM1000 and just cannot get the same results mixing in Nuendo. I don't know if the summing has anything to do with it, but there's a DAWsum demo cd out there somewhere which also included a 02R96 I think.

I just work so much faster on the DM1000 and I actually shut of the TTF screen which I think makes a lot of difference.

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo

thumbsup I can't stand recording music on computers either. I went with an Akai DPS24 quite a while ago, never looked back. Good user forum here

I say keep using a digital mixer.

Steve
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

)Thanks Steve,
i use a Fostex D2424.
My silly question was: is mixing in a digital mixer fed digitally from the recorder like mixing "in the box"? I mean could I use my hardware digital mixer to send digital tracks (to be converted to analog) to a summing box, much like a computer does? Would individual levels and panpots be retained? Would that make any sense sonically?

Sorry if this is too stupid
best regards
Massimo
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

Please excuse me for resurrecting this fossil thread.
I just wanted to see if I could have some more feedback... I need to make a purchase decison. The issue at this point is: is summing inside - say - a Yamaha DM1000 better than inside a computer or is it electrically and conceptually the same? Does it make any sense to use something like a folcrom - via good outboard mulltichannel D/A - after a hardware digital mixer? Remember, I do not want to use a computer in my room, but I like instant repeatability of mixes.
Come on!
Thank you
best regards
Massimo
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

I would not expect a big difference!
The reason for a digital mixer is:

fast workflow without losing recall!
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

A lot of DAW's are floating point, and digital mixers are fixed(AFAIK)

Other than that, they should be pretty darn similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener
I would not expect a big difference!
The reason for a digital mixer is:

fast workflow without losing recall!
Old 29th January 2006
Lives for gear
Just had to say somthing. I work on a Roland v Mixer c7100 To me it is a great mixer sound wise. I mix in Sonar 5 and i get better mixes working through that.
Its summing has real depth nice color. Some might say that Digital summing has no Color i hear that it has. I Sold my board Roland before then bought the Da7.
I loved its a/d hated its summing. To me it was 2d. So i bought back my Roland.
LIstan first just becasue alot of poeple like it mean you might not. Do you like the color do you want your sound with that color?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search