The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lawson Tube/Fet Combo
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Lawson Tube/Fet Combo

I have been looking at this combo because I'm in desperate need of some great LCD's. This seems like it would be very versitile and offer 4 different sounding mic's all in one.
Anybody have any experience with this combo ?

(from the Lawson sight)
• L251 Mic & L47FET Mic
OR
• L47MP MKII Mic & L251FET Mic

Either combo includes:
• Universal Tube Mic Power Supply
• 30 ft. cable
• Power Cord
• Two swivel mic holders
• One Pelican case large enough
to accommodate everything!
• Five Year Warranty
• Special Price $3,390.00 Factory Direct
seems like a great deal !

I am also intersted in maybe a ifet7 and Peluso 22 47 for about the same price.

any input would be appreciated !

Brian Simmons
Stormkloud Studios- Richmond,Va
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I bought the 251 tube a few years ago + felt the capsule was a little brite for my taste.
Lawson sent me a 47 capsule + it is really nice.
I later bought the FET body + use the 47 capsule w/ that as well.
I don't use the 251 on the FET so much, but on certain voices the 251/tube works well.

but then again, I used the 251FET as a distant mic on a pair of acoustic guitar players a couple days ago - worked well 8 feet away from them - the hi end helps the distance.

the tube body is much more versatile than the FET, but the FET works transparently in many situations (outside Kick, bass cab . . . rock yelling VOX)

it's a good system, but as with all things - you'll eventually want other brands in your locker as well.

the lawson mics have a lot more in common with each other than they have wildly different tonalities to choose from.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I might just go with the L47 MP MkII to start , then add the 251 capsule later. Im liking everything I've read about these mic's !

thanks
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Head

I haven't tried the 251 variants, but I have used the tube 47 in other studios a lot and liked it very much. I recently bought a L47FET and got to use it on a few sources yesterday and I have to say, I just love it. Plus, the fit and finish on the mic, and the fine Pelican case and the experience of dealing with the folks at Lawson are all impressive and make me think that the next time I'm preparing to drop some coin on an LDC I will definitely be looking their direction. This is the LDC I've been needing.

Reuben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search