The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar Amp Tubes
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

Guitar Amp Tubes

I am going to replace the tubes in my Top Hat King Royale (12AX7 and EL34). This amp is an AC30 style amp, and love the tone when driven hard. A good bit of crunch that I would like to retain. What are you using these days? Anyone try telefunken tubes in their amps?
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

You're going to need EL84's for that amp (not EL34), which is a class A torture chamber for tubes. I use Electro Harmonix, or JAN/Phillips in my AC30's, they have good tone, are affordable, and take the abuse better than most. Don't waste your money on NOS, the tubes in a well-played AC30 only last 6-12 months.

Z
Old 7th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

What about JJ's? They're really good for the money. I switched the stock tubes in a friends rectifier to JJ's and they were so much better it was ridiculous.

Brandon
Old 7th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

JJ's formally Tesla... They are decent... I would try to get a telefunken 12AX7 in the preamp position... it will also help the tone (in an relatively inexpensive way).
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

The JJs are good. The 12AX7s sound very nice and the EL84s are good as well.

I've been using JJ KT88s in my Matchless Clubman
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear