The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Britney Spear's "Toxic" String samples
Old 22nd May 2009
Britney Spear's "Toxic" String samples

I love those string samples! Anyone know where I can get something like that? I have a Fantom and nothing comes close.
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Real strings probably
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear
yea, for that budget it wouldn't surprise me if it's real. I do real string jobs like that all the time, the money is throwaway for a label especially with that kind of money behind them, they don't need to hire a full orchestra but instead just a couple of session guys like me that do real strings in our studios by overtracking everything.

I do synth work as well and it's a different sound, sometimes appropriate, and I use it for composing and film music often when improvising background music for a scene. but when you need great sound there isn't anything like the real deal.

cheers,
Don
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

If you do a search, I recall a whole thread about this very topic. Someone was recreating Toxic for a school project of some sort and the whole strings topic came up. It was a pretty lengthy thread.
Old 22nd May 2009
I just searched more here on GS and folks say it's a Bollywood sample. Now to find that sample!
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Allmusic.com lists multiple credits for string arrangers and conductors.

Short of hiring a string section, I'd recommend looking for sample libraries that have "Bollywood string section" samples, and edit together what you're looking for from different segments.

You can't get that "Bollywood strings entire-section-doing-portamento-together" sound with a pitch-bend wheel and a string patch. The EastWest "RA" collection I've got has a few good bits, and there are some "Bollywood Elements" and other sample discs out there that have some good stuff as well.

Although I've come sort-of-kind-of close by using a pitch-bend wheel and a string patch, and then layering tons of tracks of myself playing the same part on an actual violin over the top of it.

Or if you're on a more than "fake it with synths and samplers" budget, you go the Frou Frou route and just hire these guys to record the part for you:

Bollywood Strings - Indian String arrangements and Indian violin with Chandru
Old 22nd May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
I do synth work as well and it's a different sound, sometimes appropriate, and I use it for composing and film music often when improvising background music for a scene. but when you need great sound there isn't anything like the real deal.
Hi Don, I'm interested to know what kind of outboard and mic's you are using as front end to record your strings? Preamp, converter, comp..

I've been doing some score/tv work lately (combination of sotware and real string) and am about to upgrade some gear. Curious!

cheers,
Spall
Old 22nd May 2009

here's a toxic "string" sample...

...(i think the ukeleles were bowed on the original...)

YouTube - "Toxic" played on the ukulele

Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear
I heard that max martin the producer uses real strings from a big orchestra that were recorded live in l.a
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear
of course. you can't do that with synths or samples. you need real violinists.

that's how I pay my mortgage mostly - as a session violinist (except I do full string sections myself when possible, gives a better price to the customer and brings me all of the revenue :-).... win win....

GO CANUCKS GO
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu Mixer View Post
I love those string samples! Anyone know where I can get something like that? I have a Fantom and nothing comes close.
It's from Big Service Akai Library. Can't remember exact name. Ethnic Journey or something. It's real Indian strings, chopped.
Akai samples rocks!
Old 11th June 2011
Here for the gear
Hi,

I might be wrong but I read somewhere that they sampled the strings from this old 80's song:

Dailymotion - Ek Duuje Ke Liye Song KAMAL and RATI - une vidéo Film & TV

Its composed on an Indian scale called Shivaranjini!

Cheers
Gokul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search