The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Could you mix well with my equipment?
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut

Could you mix well with my equipment?

Ok, so the question is... If you really needed to, could youi mix a decent sounding album on my equipment? and if not maybe a really good demo?

Protools LE 6.4
Waves diamond
Focusrite liquid channel
T.C. electronic R4000
Pod Pro Xt
Bass pod pro
Avalon U5
SE Gemini Mic
Event TR 8XL's
And some really good guitars.

Oh, and I almost forgot for drums im using DFH superior with a coupld of pads from The TD - 20
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Mix tracks that were already recorded or including tracking as well?

Just my own personal preferences here: Tracking, no. I don't like Avalon pres at all, you need a better mic, I wouldn't touch a Line6 device or a Liquid Channel with a ten foot pole.

As for mixing, replace the speakers with either Genelec 10xx series, Mackie HR824's or Yamaha NS10's, get an Apogee AD/DA converter and sure, I'd give it a shot.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I forget the song, but there was a Grammy winning R&B single mixed on a Behringer MX8000.

Good room, good mons, good tracks.. the rest is easy.

YMMV
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Add a UAD1 card in there - and maybe some other decent EQ (URS) and definately!

It depends on how you define decent though...
Old 7th August 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10
Ok, so the question is... If you really needed to, could youi mix a decent sounding album on my equipment?
Probably.

It would also most likely take about 5+ times longer and be way more of a pain in the balls to achieve on your rig than on a real rig, but I don't think I'd have any major trouble doing it... I also have well over 20 years of doing this which is kind of a help when you're thrown into situations like that... which kinda makes your question pretty irrelevant unless you have a similar level of experience [in which case you wouldn't have had to ask the question].
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

To be or not to be, that is the question.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Now THIS is Vintage Fletcher... who gives a toss what he thinks about the Portico - this is what he does best..!!! And long may it last..!!! Bring on the shots - I think we've still got about another 50-55 to check out from the Garlic & Shots menu card...
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

like fletcher said.. it would take longer than usual. i'd probably do 3-4 mixes.. but i could do it... i don't have 20 years behind me like fletch but i know what i'm doing...

one of your weak areas is your monitoring.. drop the events, unless you step up to the ASP8's...
other than that i'd suggust Genelec 80xx series over the 10xx any day of the week..perhaps Dynaudio too

the gemini mic isn't bad, its actually rather nice. has a great tone to it and doesn't cost an arm or a leg.
i see nothing wrong with having the gemini but you do need to add a few mics... perhaps a akg 414, shure sm7, blue blueberry... i could go on and on.

the liquid, its cool... doesn't sound bad but its not the best either but its like $3k...
some of the emulations are nice while others don't sound to much different from one another.
you might wanna think about selling it or adding pres like:
api 312A(bae)
Great river (any of them)
John hardy(any of them)

what converters do you have?
i hope you don't say an Mbox
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic

what converters do you have?
i hope you don't say an Mbox
Digi 002 rack.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

yes you can do fine with that equiptment.
i've heard albumns mixed in world class studios that sound terrible.
All depends on what kind of musician you are... not the type of equiptment.
Old 7th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan
So true!thumbsup
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

If I could mix in my own room on my own speakers, I think I could.

However, especially with bass I find a suitable high-end analogue compressor makes thinks SO much easier, it's not even funny. Also something like a controller to have hands on faders is pretty essential in my world. I shut the TTF of while mixing on mix with my ears. With a mouse I keep staring at numbers which higly influences my brain in a negative way.

Regarding tracking, almost anything is doable if you have a couple of mics and some preamps, but the "quality" of the work is going to be limited with what you have on the frontend...
A quality condenser, a matched pair of something usable on overheads and some decent preamps might make it a lot easier.

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 7th August 2005
Heck, yeah. I'm not familiar with that mic, but the product sheet on it looks pretty good. I doubt I'd use the Pod(s) [just not a pod kind of guy -- maybe on bass; never used a bass pod; I'd check it, anyhow]. I'd have to experiment with the Liquid Channel to see if it was useful to me -- I haven't found the marketing on it persuasive.

But, heck yeah, I'm certain I could do just fine with what you have, setting up what looks like a good, quality chain and using the Waves plugs (which I'd love to get but can't bring myself to 'afford'). Some folks around here will diss the Event monitors ('cause it's that kind of place, eh?) but from what I've read, they're an excellent bargain for the money with a solid, extended bottom and decent imaging -- well rated over others in their price range. (I have a pair of Event 20/20 bas that I've been quite happy with and a pair of NS10m's for ref.)

As someone around here said a while back -- it's the Indian, not the arrow.

If you've got music in your heart, a brain in your head, and time to learn and improve your skills -- you can definitely do it! Whatever your gear list. But a nice rig like you have just makes it that much easier.

PS -- I went back and read the intervening comments -- with re replacing the Events with NS10m's as was suggested somewhere above, IMHO that would be a sucker move. NS10ms are what they are and definitely useful -- but their bass response is so severely lacking that they are, in my experience, a very poor choice if you can only have one set of monitors.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Add either an 1176 or a Distressor with the british mod, and I would give it a go. I would also want to bring my own mics.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Exactly...

I've been at this a while, myself, but the difference between great gear and software and marginal stuff is that it takes forever and doesn't usually produce the best product.

Can you make dinner with some wood, a book of matches and a dead animal and a knife?

Yeah.

Much easier with a gas grille, good utensils, prime beef and a spice rack, though.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan
yes you can do fine with that equiptment.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I dont think your monitors are up to the task. yes there is other **** that could be better like some good analog, or a better DAC but I could mix without them. I could not mix without decent monitors in a decent room. Try some DIY room treatments and think about new monitors. Then, sure.

Frost
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

unquestionably, in my humble opinion

like others said new monitors
i think that mic might be nice
pods are weird i have a xt, in my opinion it is the conversion going in that sucks,
however if you get a fender blues jr
plug that pod into it-
it friggin rocks
also the fx in the pod are top notch -
if you use it digitally

a uad card would be cool, but the waves stuff ain't bad

remember, get good stuff going in
and your job will be much easier
many problems have to do w frequency overlap
so learn how to track and eq

a benchmark dac never hurt anyone either
also a good quality analog channel strip might be pretty cool, you might want to A/B one aganist your liquid channel - i see no need for 50 different mic preamps
and i have yet to meet digital emmulation that
really gets IT, though the uad stuff is good, as is
the urs stuff

i can't really comment on the liquid channel
however, just for reference i believe john mellencamp was using joe meeks for vocals, so.......

of course YMMV
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks allot guys, good advice. I've been considering selling the liquid channel for a while now, mostly because I don't have much use for all the variety, regardless of quality. And im going to look into a UAD card.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Guru

i don't know if i could do a good mix on your monitors, maybe.

my hunch, though, is that i would not be able to do a good mix in your room. unless your room is bigger than, say, 16x22, or is lined with realtraps, you're in for a rough ride.

with good monitors in a good room, i can mix on anything. compromise either of those and all bets are off.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
with good monitors in a good room, i can mix on anything. compromise either of those and all bets are off.

Maybe this is my ignorance shining through, but if you have alot of mixing experience, (myself excluded) couldn't you get a good mix using some good reference materal? Somthing that was mixed on better monitors in a better room? I would be curious to see sombody like Andy Wallace (or some other major name) sit down a mix a song I recorded on my gear. I think I would be shocked and a little dissapointed if it came out sounding anything but great.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Guru

I'm sure I could mix on your rig. I'd rather mix on my rig.

Plus I've not heard your tracks. They might be great and mxing would be fun on either rig. They might not be great and they'd be hard to mix on either rig.
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Maybe this is my ignorance shining through, but if you have alot of mixing experience, (myself excluded) couldn't you get a good mix using some good reference materal?
Not necessarily.

There are a lot of other factors involved.

Quote:
Somthing that was mixed on better monitors in a better room? I would be curious to see sombody like Andy Wallace (or some other major name) sit down a mix a song I recorded on my gear. I think I would be shocked and a little dissapointed if it came out sounding anything but great.
Why would you be shocked or dissapointed?
Old 8th August 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Maybe this is my ignorance shining through, but if you have alot of mixing experience, (myself excluded) couldn't you get a good mix using some good reference materal? Somthing that was mixed on better monitors in a better room? I would be curious to see sombody like Andy Wallace (or some other major name) sit down a mix a song I recorded on my gear. I think I would be shocked and a little dissapointed if it came out sounding anything but great.
Like Thrill said...it really depends and there are no guarantees on anything.

The mix can only sound as good as the source tracks. If the tracks coming in sound like poo, then the possibility of getting a good to great mix is slim to none regardless of the mix engineer, room, or equipment used during the mixing process.

As for the original question, I’m not sure it’s much of a question. Could I make a rekkid’ with that stuff if someone held a gun to my head? Probably. But, I’m not sure I’d want to but that's kind of a personal preference. And honestly…given the quality level and variety of equipment listed, I’d shoot for a solid demo or maybe doing overdubs on a record knowing that the material (if the AE has a clue) can be usable on the final project. YMM, and probably will vary.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Why would you be shocked or dissapointed?
Well i guess i would be dissapointed cause it would seem its less about the man and more about his tools. You give a good painter bad paints, and he can still make a good painting... you know that sort of thing.

And this is all based on the idea that the source materal ins't poo.
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
. You give a good painter bad paints, and he can still make a good painting... you know that sort of thing.

Yeah but maybe to the good painter a good painting is a disappointment.

He rather do something great right?

A masterpiece?
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe this is my ignorance shining through, but if you have alot of mixing experience, (myself excluded) couldn't you get a good mix using some good reference materal?

if your monitors lie, then no amount of refs will save you. some monitors make everything sound good, including bad mixes. some monitors make bad mixes sound bad, but they don't tell you what to do about it. ns10's, adams, auratones, whatever.... you may not like the sound of them, but they work like microscopes and bright lights, allowing you to get into the details in a truthful way, they paint a picture that accurately represents what most other speakers will put forth.

the room is even more important, because if you put honest monitors in a room that is f*cked, then what you hear will be f*cked and there is no way to see past it, or around it, or thru it. the average bedroom has several bass freqs peaking 10-20db too loud, while certain other freqs are completely canceled out... there is simply no way to compensate for sounds that are not there, or are so overpresent they swamp out the entire room, despite the fact that they may actually be perfectly balanced in the mix.

so yes, with useful monitors in a good room, i can acclimate using refs. bad monitors or bad room, odds are not even andy wallace can save you.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 8th August 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Well i guess i would be dissapointed cause it would seem its less about the man and more about his tools. You give a good painter bad paints, and he can still make a good painting... you know that sort of thing.

And this is all based on the idea that the source materal ins't poo.
If you give a good painter bad paints and brushes, they probably won't work with them. Or, they'll sneak in their own materials.

You know, standards and all.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
If you give a good painter bad paints and brushes, they probably won't work with them. Or, they'll sneak in their own materials.

You know, standards and all.

Not to mention if they are union or non-union painters. Lot's of standards and regulation would apply.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search