The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help! There's a product I need which doesn't seem to exist!
Old 23rd April 2003
Mindreader

Help! There's a product I need which doesn't seem to exist!

Of course, I need it yesterday

erm..

well

I have a controller keyboard connected to my logic setup and I am doing mock-piano rubbish with everything in EXS24 land. Without a sustain pedal I can't really get away with it, even with amazing piano samples no sustain on a piano sounds wierd.

Can I find an expression pedal that sends midi sustain out? Can I? Can I?

No. No one else seems able to either.

How are you meant to do this? All the sustain pedals out there are manufacturer specific it seems and pertain to hardware needing a wierd jack socket in thing.

I want a footswitch that sends midi sus on when you stick your foot on it, and then midi sus off when you let go.

Is that too difficult? Or have I stumbled across a void where there needs a product to be made?

Help! Urgent! Piano sounds like poo! Need sustain!

(And don't get clever and say I should assign it to a key and play it with 'the other hand', I can play both hands together y'know )
Old 23rd April 2003
Here for the gear

What I know about midi sustain you could fit in a thimble, but hopefully this'll help you...or at the very least point you in the right direction. Good luck

http://tomscarff.tripod.com/products...tain_pedal.htm
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Nut

MIDI Solutions makes a footswitch box that you can program to send any MIDI message.

http://www.midisolutions.com

-Dave
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Walling1
MIDI Solutions makes a footswitch box that you can program to send any MIDI message.

http://www.midisolutions.com

-Dave
Or, since a lot of music stores still have the old Anatek goobies really cheap, look for the Pocket Pedal.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

If you are using EXS24, I would assume then, you are using logic?
If so, it would be fairly easy to map just about any controller or midi event to be the sustain pedal for your piano in real time. That being said, a keyboard controller without a sustain pedal input seems not to make sense.

Andy
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Head

Can't you just open the crontoller lane for sustain on the midi track and manually draw it in? I know in Cubase I have edited sustain before because the keyboard player did not release all the way once and it took two long chords and overlapped them. I went into the control lane for sustain, it showed me where all of the pedal on and offs were and I took the one that was too long and seperated into two pedal marks.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

I'm no piano player but I would want to be able to play the sustain pedal as I play the keys.....anything else would be data entry and sound that way as well.

BTW, for the price of a pedal-->midi converter, one could probably find a cheap used keyboard that'll do the trick (S-10, U-10 etc. even DX-7, although one would just need to re-map the velocities)

Andy
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Addict

Maybe something like this vill work.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! There's a product I need which doesn't seem to exist!-bild-6.png  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search