The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Starting over, need some advice !
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Starting over, need some advice !

Hi Sluts ! I am new to this forum and WOW this place is awesome !

I am putting the studio back together after it took a dive 2 years ago and would like some advice.
I just ordered a brand new Neotek Elan 32x24x2 mixer for my center piece to build around along with my Radar. I am very excited about this purchase BTW ! Mike at Neotek is a great guy !

Anyway , I have a list of equipment that I didn't get rid of that's been sitting in my spare room for 2 years , I have finally sorted thru. I will be trying to make do with what I have left because, I have spent almost my entire budget on my new console.

I do have about 5k left to fill in some "gaps" temporary, until I can save a bit more money.
So , I have been researching for the last month while waiting on my new console and have come up with a few things that could possibly fill some "gaps".
here is a list of the equipment I have now :

-Radar 24 Nyquist w/session controller
-Alesis Masterlink ML-9600
-Lexicon PCM90 w/expansion card
-Lexicon MPX-1
-Lexicon MPX-500
-Yamaha Rev 7
-Avalon U5
-OSA MP-1 with Lunchbox
-Amek 9098 comp/limiter
-FMR RNC x2 with rack mount
-DBX 160x compressor
-Waves L2 (hardware version)
-Behringer composer pro
-BLUE Mouse
-Audio-Technica AT4050
-Audio-Technica AT4041 x2
-Audio-Technica AT3528
-Sennheiser MD421 mkII x3
-Sure sm57 x3
-Sure sm7
-Mackie HR824 Monitors
-Mark of the Unicorn 2408mk3
-Mark of the Unicorn 1296 x2
-Sonar 2.0

As you can can see , I am really missing mic's and, I sold off almost all my preamps when my studio went down a couple years ago so.. I am thinking with the 5k I have left , after the console purchase, I would possibly be interested in these pieces :

-Chandler TG-2 = 2k (heavy guitars, some vocal)
or Great River MP-2NV
-Drawmer 1968 = 1.8k (mix buss)
-Peluso 22 47 = 1k
or the Soundelux ifet7 ? = 1.8k
or, I really could use a pair of km184's also = 1.3k

...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I am going to be focusing on alot of heavy rock , alternative , 70's rock , acoustic type stuff , a bit of anything I can get . I've heard the pre's on the Neotek are really nice and clean. Thats why I figured the Chandler as a good compliment. I'm real anxious to use this mixer because my last studio used a Soundcraft Ghost LE and , I know this will be a huge step up from that , at least I hope!
I'm thinking about possibly selling the Waves and one of the Motu's to help afford some more gear but, havent decided yet.

So , If you were in my shoes , what would you do with 5k to fill the "gaps" ? (short of selling everything and starting over)

any suggestions would be appreciated !

thanks,

Brian Simmons
Stormkloud Studios - Richmond,Va
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

I'll try a first stab at it.

The things that I notice:

1) Sonar 2.....upgrade to 4
2a) Upgrade converters? or add a couple of better channels (Mini-Me perhaps)
2b) if not better converters maybe an external clock to improve AD/DA (Big Ben)
3) Matched pair SDCs - Josephson c42s or on the cheap... Oktava's (not personally a fan of the Neumann SDCs, btw ymmv)
4) RIBBONS baby!! Pick one or more: Royer, AEA, Coles, Beyerdynamic (for cheaper alternative)

That is all I see right now. I would consider whether you really need the pre upgrades right now...or go for some RNPs or Syteks and spend the rest of your money elsewhere. I would personally look at mics, conversion, and software upgrade if I were in your shoes.

But then again....I did a lot of acid in the 60s....wait, no that was the 90s.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply !

I dont think conversion is the problem imo , My Radar 24 Nyquist converters sound great ! And , I have 24 in 24 out. The clock on Radar is really good too, alot of pro's use Radar's clock and swear by it. I used the clock from Radar for 2 years and it worked great, It even made my Motu 1296 a/d's sound noticably better .
I have heard Radar's converters against a Apogee Rosetta and they were much better sounding to my ears .

I am mainly wanting to add a few flavors(in pre's,eq's,mic's) to my aresenal and a good mix buss compressor.

thanks,
Brian
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

Whoops. Read right over the Radar even though it was first on your list. Thought you were running off the Motu.
Old 6th August 2005
Sounds like it's going to be a nice place...Radar and Neotek should sound great. I don't see a top flight large diaphragm condenser. Blue Mouse and Audio Technica are more mid level (no offense)...while the heart of the studio (console/recorder) are A+. Also a pair of really great small diaphragm condensers, then between the LDC and SDC's you have all possible overdubs or primary tracking handled, like acoustic instruments, vocals, overhead mics, etc. $5K should easily cover both if you look at companies like Josephson, Gefell, Soundelux, etc....the quality there is outstanding. Good vintage mics are great, but a lot more pricey in general for similar quality IME. The mics are more important than the preamps considering the list, you can always move on to spicier preamps, but make sure you get something versatile (Great River NV being a key piece in addition to what you already own). Don't be afraid to explore some of the other OSA's (they make 4 different sounding ones now...MP-1 is the generic prefix of each different type now, those being the A, C, L or L3...I'm guessing you have the A model which is the most neutral & least colored of the bunch) or Purple Audio's "the Biz" preamp since you already have the powered lunchbox.
Old 6th August 2005
I would skip the KM184's..... YMMV...

The Great River MP-2NV is a good all around'er in my eyes, at least more so than the TG2. Don't get me wrong the TG2 ROCKS but it has a "thing" that does not work with all sources were as the MP-2NV can be pretty transparent and can get some color going as well.

Nathan he did mention the iFet7 on his list...

For the record I agree with Nathan, a good solid "flagship" LDC should be on the list. That is where I am right now myself and after asking a bunch of people I think I settled on a Soundelux e250. I am doing much the same type of music you are talking about and from what I hear the e250 should fit pretty well, you might want to check out out.

That and the MP-2NV would eat most of your budget but it would crush.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies !

What do you guys think of the Josephen C42 's ? The seem very inexpensive ($899 a pair)
Also , the ifet7 seems like a really versital mic, opinions on this ?
Ive also considered picking up a Soundelux U195 , seems like a good mic for a great price.

I think you all are probably right, I am lacking in mics the most. I just really wanted to get a good go-to pre for heavy guitars.
The OSA I have is the orginal version with only one knob. I got it for pretty cheap used recently and still havent even heard it yet.

thanks for your input !

-Brian
Old 7th August 2005
Sell the following:
-Amek 9098 comp/limiter
-DBX 160x compressor
-Waves L2 (hardware version)
-Mackie HR824 Monitors
-Mark of the Unicorn 2408mk3
-Mark of the Unicorn 1296 x2
-Sonar 2.0

And get:

Second hand A Pair of DBX 160 VU's
A Pair of Distressors
Second hand Your KM84 pair you want
Some pfaaaaat large Diaphram condencer mic
Second hand UA 1176 or (vintage 1176)
ADAM Monitors
Second hand ProTools 001 or 002 for editing Radar Files on
ribbon mic's - yesssssssssssssss

Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I really dont see alot of point in selling Sonar to get Protools for editing. I am used to editing in Sonar and my 2408 mk3 allows me to fly 24 tracks via tdif to and from Radar already. Plus, If I have a project that requires more tacks than 24 then I use the MOTU 1296's for the extra 24 D/A's . They actually sound really good with Radar clock imo.

I agree on the other stuff tho Jules , I think I will put some stuff up for sale this week, thanks

I would love to get my hands on a pair of ADAM's but I think they are a "bit out my league" In price atm. The Mackie's arent bad for now and I sorta got used to them.

I am real weary about buying second hand equiptment with all the scamms going on right now with ebay. I will keep an eye out for stuff for sale on the classifieds on this forum tho.
Still a bit curious about the C42 's If anybody has any experience with them.

thanks Jules and everybody for the help !

-Brian

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search