The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I miss the 80's
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

I miss the 80's

Was in Mc'Donalds today... not sure why, but now my heart is racing in a MSG-sodiun rush as a result of a delicious Crispy Chicken club Sandwich from the new premium menu. Said I would never eat another one after yesterday's near-death experience, and of course i went straight back there today.
What does this have to do with audio? MUZAK, or rather lack thereof is the answer. These days, MUZAK is now hits from the generation of the demographic that the business is trying to make feel warm and fuzzy during the "dining or shopping experience". Maybe I keep going back to Mc'Donalds for the comfort of the '80's music that they play.
Anyone else besides me think that audio/production was so much more interesting then? I think that we pushed the envelope quite a bit more back then, and I am curious as to why in this era of unlimited technical possibilities, every thing sounds so...well BLAH.
I enjoy a wide variety of music... some of you will cringe, but didn't you stop in your tracks for a second the first time you heard "Owner of a Lonely Heart"? I know I did and said "WOW"! "She Blinded Me With Science. Rockit, Let the Music Play, Planet Rock, Close to the Edge, I Feel For You, Shout, Sussidio, Everybody...Rule the World" "What Have You Done For Me Lately"... I could go on and on. I know many of you say "THANK GOD... no more Bryan Adams or Hall and Oates", but I think some of that stuff was quite good and creative from an audio production standpoint. I kinda miss those big AMS snares sometimes... those big FAT Nevey Richard Perry synth bass sequences.
Call me nostalgic...or just old. But I'm bored.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

While the '80's certaily had some good tunes, I really didn't like the direction Rock took. Music does mimic the times though doesn't it - everything in the 80's was over the top & flakey - but so were the 80's. I honestly like the 90's and the current crop of music much better, and I'm a 60's due.

I'd rather listen to Green Day/ QOTSA etc than Quiet Riot, Poison et al - and I'd do just fine thank you if I don't have to see another grown man in spandex going commando.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
I enjoy a wide variety of music... some of you will cringe, but didn't you stop in your tracks for a second the first time you heard "Owner of a Lonely Heart"? I know I did and said "WOW"! "She Blinded Me With Science. Rockit, Let the Music Play, Planet Rock, Close to the Edge, I Feel For You, Shout, Sussidio, Everybody...Rule the World" "What Have You Done For Me Lately"... I could go on and on. I know many of you say "THANK GOD... no more Bryan Adams or Hall and Oates", but I think some of that stuff was quite good and creative from an audio production standpoint. I kinda miss those big AMS snares sometimes... those big FAT Nevey Richard Perry synth bass sequences.
Call me nostalgic...or just old. But I'm bored.
My grocery store pumps 'hits' from the 80's...it is awesome. My wife and I dance while we shop...no fn' joke.
I REALLY could give a **** what anybody thinks...I LOVE the 80's 'hits' and I got's lots to spread around!!...Everything from Thompson Twins, the Fixx, Crowded House, Madness, Thomas Dolby, Journey, The Police, Tears for Fears, Hall and Oates, Kenny Loggins, Roxy Music, Peter Gabriel, Squeeze, The Cure...Damn that was some great writing.

Nah brother Paul...you are right on target.

We are bringing back the great synths and cool wacky productions...At least I am working on a record with HUGE 80's influences (as well as 70's AM rock).

How can ANYTHING that makes you feel so good ever be slagged? Dunno.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Here is classic...

http://www.soundpreacherstudios.com/music/9.mp3

This tune has never failed to make me smile...(It also shows up in Tommy Boy with Chris Farley and David Spade..one of my cult favorites)
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Guru

Steve Lillywhite over the top drums etc..
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

AGGGHHHHHH!

Dude, don't eat at MkDonaldland, EVER! That stuff WILL KILL YOU! As if the way it makes you feel isn't enough, check out Supersize Me.

That guy ate three meals a day at McDonalds for, what, a month? He had rules (so it wouldn't be about eating fourteen 1/4 pounders a day); he had to rotate thru the menu and he could only order Supersize stuff if they offered it. After three weeks he began having chest pains and both of his doctors told him he had to stop. They said his liver had taken on the consistency of pate and he also was no longer able to 'perform' for his girlfriend.

Has anyone noticed how many overweight kids there are these days, BTW?
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

sorry but I can't stand '80 music... yuck
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

The 80s do seem like a more creative time, colorful, lots of different ideas, maybe more connected to actual songwriting mixed with nutty and out the box productions.........but...........I think most all of it is pretty god awful and stupid. dfegad

Hideous synths, ugly drum machines, putrid reverb, gay dancing, ghastly fashions,
moronic hairdon'ts...

A few though, like The Police and maybe some others, can't be denied. Who now, is writing songs as consistantly good as der Shtingle's songs? Who now is writing songs?

In a way, though, the 80's seem better than the 90's, which seemed like a real drag, all that boring grunge .

Now, though, seems like the most forgettable time, I mean, what is going on exactly?? I think that may be why I'm more interested in DAW summing than music.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else besides me think that audio/production was so much more interesting then? I think that we pushed the envelope quite a bit more back then, and I am curious as to why in this era of unlimited technical possibilities, every thing sounds so...well BLAH.
Pro Tools killed the engineer star
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
Everything from Thompson Twins, the Fixx, Crowded House, Madness, Thomas Dolby, Journey, The Police, Tears for Fears, Hall and Oates, Kenny Loggins, Roxy Music, Peter Gabriel, Squeeze, The Cure...Damn that was some great writing.
I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it GREAT WRITING, but that stuff was definitely ENGAGING ARRANGING & PRODUCTION, and I think that's what's so sorely missing in a lot of today's pop music. Listen to all the layers, the ear candy, the intertwining synth orchestrations, percussion overdubs, 3- & 4-part composite rhythm guitar overdubs in the hits from those artists you mention. Who's doing that nowadays? Even the big bucks pop divas are making incredibly shallow 2-dimensional records, highly-polished slabs of nothingness at best...probably in some desperate attempt to get hip-hop/street cred by virtue of their (disingenuous) "simplicity". But, as Robert Fripp pointed out so succinctly, there's a big difference between Simple and Simplistic.

I'll take _Songs From The Big Chair_ over _Oops...I Did It Again_ any day!
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think Toxic is pretty good, probably as good as any garbage from the 80's.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
Pro Tools killed the engineer star
Funny, it seems many of the things people hate, all the soul removers, were born in the 80's.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah McDonalds has something funny going on. It`s like the crack cocaine of the food world. If you go 6 mths without eating it you`d literally feel sick after you ate there. But if you eat it 3 times a week or so like I do the ****ty food starts calling to you and you have Big Mac attacks at 3:30 in the morning.

As far as the 80`s music is concerned I`m kind of hit or miss with that. Theres some bands of the 80`s that I absolutely love stuff like the Police, U2, and Men at Work (remember them) and even Duran Duran. Talking Heads and Thomas Dolby and Weird Al Yankovic were cool too. Thriller was awesome and I dig the Cars the Go Go`s and even Bananarama.

But then there was some terrible **** that I`ve blocked out from my memory temporarily that seems to come up everytime I`m in a bar that`s playing 80`s music for the night. I`ve got nothing right now (Aha for starters though I can`t spell it right I think) because it`s too painfull to think about right now due to the suck factor sinking in my belly everytime I imagine one of those tunes.

What I REALLY miss is the 70`s !!!

That`s where I personally think music peaked.

The key word is fusion between ALL music and that`s what happened in the 70`s. There was Herbie and Miles and Stevie Wonder and Bob Marley and James Brown and Motown and Parliament/Funkadelic and the Ohio Players and Sly and the Family Stone and The Rolling Stones and The Beatles and David Bowie and Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and Steely Dan the rest who I`m forgetting right now who seemed to peak sometime in the 70`s due to integration of their style.

The 3 minute song standard was lost due to technology progressing so it was cool to jam a bit in a song and there was 6 - 8 minute songs in the charts all the time because of it. All of a sudden it was cool to hear what the musicians could actually do to add to a song. The WHOLE BAND was an equal adding to a song as opposed to some lame ass flamboyent guitar player demanding all the attention like metal in the the 80`s. (though I admittedly love a lot of that stuff as well)

If I had to pick a time where music was stopped and couldn`t go further in the past or future I`d say it was ultimately peaking in songs/arrangement/musicianship/singing somewhere in the 70`s and it`s all gone a bit downhill since than and before than.

This is obviously my own take on things though and I`m not going to pretend to tell anybody what kind of music they should like. There was obviously a whole lot of bands that were absolute crap in that time period as well.

And there is some very good bands right now.

Keep in mind I was born in 73 so I had no clue what was going on then till I searched for it later. Going back through time has given me the best perspective on what music has done through the years and I`d advise everybody to go through the same thing. Opens your mind up to what was and what can be. As a musician I`ve grown through what I`ve learned from the past and as an Engineer I`m frustrated.

Thanks
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, New Wave went the way of all big trends, didn't it? Beyond a certain point in time, annoying synths and fat gated snares were just slapped on everything that came along, with predictably horrendous results. There's a tremendous amount of hideous 80s drek out there for this very reason, and I think the people who hate the 80s have mostly only heard these tunes. Trademark sounds of a genre are soon slapped on everything that comes down the chute...just turn on the radio to hear the curent "must-have" sounds.

But I agree with the posters above, before commercial interests took over there was an amazing variety of musical exploration going on. It's really great to hear that nowadays (why is everything so self-important these days!?). A lot of the artists had a sense of humor about it, or you wouldn't have gotten such wacky, far-out tunes, and seemed like there was more willingness up and down the chain to pursue it.

The best of it is really great, the worst of it is, as also observed, hideous.
Old 7th August 2005
Funny thread!

See the threads below in the " Similar Threads" menu below..

Jump on one and re-start it!

(dances on car like in Footloose)
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet
But I agree with the posters above, before commercial interests took over there was an amazing variety of musical exploration going on. It's really great to hear that nowadays (why is everything so self-important these days!?). A lot of the artists had a sense of humor about it, or you wouldn't have gotten such wacky, far-out tunes, and seemed like there was more willingness up and down the chain to pursue it.

The best of it is really great, the worst of it is, as also observed, hideous.

Good point !
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

I'm a very retro guy myself in terms of production values, had a 2" room in the 80's, did all that adventurous sh*t. I'm just finishing putting together a project room specifically for the purpose of recapturing those seat-of-the-pants engineering days- Been snapping up racks-full of those formerly higher-end digital effects processors & cool reverbs that are floating around now on ebay for a dime on the original dollar- Big fun!

(Noise floor, shmoise floor! Hang enough effects returns on the stereo buss, and the hum & hiss begins to cancel itself out... )
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
(dances on car like in Footloose)

HAHAHAHAHA !
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think some '80's acts were making music fun again: Depeche Mode, NWA, Yaz, The Smiths, The Replacements, Digital Underground, Husker Du, Run DMC, The Minutemen, The Cult, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Tom Waits, LL Cool J, Oingo Boingo, The B-52's (the early Chris Blackwell ones), TSOL, X, The Ramones, Fear, Eurythmics, XTC, The Specials, New Order, Bad Brains...

Those were all I could think of just now.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I know there were a few cheesy stuff then, with awful clothing and weirder hairstyles, but besides the typical Phil Collins gated reverb snare Hit, i think it was a time full of IDEAS, when every band had their own PERSONALITY and SOUND.
Moreover, Music was recorded in Professional Sudios, played by Real Musicians and recorded by Real Engineers and top-notch Producers, when normal computers couldnt handle audio in real-time, so no DAWS, autotune, plugin compression everywhere, etc. were used.
The only "special tools" were Tape Punch-ins, the H3000, and the Akai S1000. They were though used sparsely (compared to todays standards) because it was a real PITA to tweek/edit too much -again, compared to Pro-Fools.

Mastering Snipers were'n invented yet either.

the Police, the Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, QUEEN, Simply Red, THE THE, Simple Minds, Duran Duran, Madness, the Cure, ABBA, Terence Trent D'arby, The Commitments, Lou Reed, Kiss, Housemartins, The Sundays, Sade, Living Colours, Eurythmics, Blondie, Kraftwerk, Elvis Costello, Spandau Ballet, Bryan Eno, Peter Gabriel, U2, Dire Straits, Stevei Wonder, New Order, Wham, Nena, AC/DC, Petshop Boys, Talking Heads, Sugar Cubes, Aerosmith, Public Enemy, Whitney Houston, Toto, Talk Talk, Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Sinead O'Connor, Guns n' Roses, Depeche Mode, Yello, Tracy Chapman... not to mention artists like Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna at their best..

Problem is some of those tunes may sound cheezy now, only because audio productions styles change, but could you imagine talent like these working today? Definetely it was a time when MUSIC mattered. And you could even buy it in lovely sounding vinyls.

Im Gegensatz dazu, I wonder how many of the current "Stars" will make it to next year.

PS: i'm very sorry Matous if you hate that period because i love it heh (just like i love the Baroque era or Jamiroquai's new record, for instance)
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11
...........I think most all of it is pretty god awful and stupid.
Hideous synths, ugly drum machines, putrid reverb, gay dancing, ghastly fashions,
moronic hairdon'ts...
Just curious JP...no flame bro...How old are you?

Hideous Synths and Ugly Drum Machines?..... Sequential Prophet? Roland Juno or Jupiter? Yamaha DX5?Korg Poly? MPC60? HR16? Linn?

Lot's of classics that are 'modeled' today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
but that stuff was definitely ENGAGING ARRANGING & PRODUCTION, and I think that's what's so sorely missing in a lot of today's pop music.
Agreed Bob....and Semantics really. That is what I consider good writing...Interesting counter rhytms..3, 4 and 5 part counter harmonies using unique sounds, lot's of guitars, cool drum machine pattern intervention...All of this in POP music with a simple groove and hook...

Songs from the big chair is a classic record...still inspiring.

And you actually had to know how to sing! Ha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc

Yes brother Kevin...me too! Though I wouldn't say 'peaked'..that isn't possible until humnan beings don't exist. The same thing could be said for the baroque era.

Lot's of kids don't think so either...and your parents don't think so either!!
I think it is natural to get attached to certain eras of music based on the emotions they create for you.

Personally I believe the best is yet to come...We may just be in transiton for awhile.
Old 7th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich
because it was a real PITA to tweek/edit too much -again, compared to Pro-Fools.

I don't know where you were working but when i first started in the studios(around 86') this was all normal and standard here in NYC.

And if you could fly vocals around and tune them perfectly in time you would get tons of work.
Old 7th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc

Thanks
Sorry my friend.

It was the 60's.

The greatest decade around the world for music.

In the 70's the lawyers got involved in the music business and took its innocence away.

The 70's was just an after thought of the 60's and the late 70's were just plain... dfegad
Old 7th August 2005
Quote:
It went both ways.

The biggest change was the acceptance of Midi for making music.

Totally changed how music would be produced forerever.

Personally i loved what came out of Europe in the 80's better than what was being done here in America.

The productions and mixes were very layered sonically(Trevor Horn).

Then along came the team of SAW and killed it(even though i still dig Banarama's "Cruel Summer").

And then Jazzie B/Soul to Soul kinda brought it back in a different way.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey, Thrill; that reminds me. Has anyone ever heard the Stock Aitken Waterman/Judas Priest recordings?

Could be fun for a laff!!
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I don't know where you were working but when i first started in the studios(around 86') this was all normal and standard here in NYC.

And if you could fly vocals around and tune them perfectly in time you would get tons of work.
hey i wrote: "COMPARED TO PRO-FOOLS"
I mean, today in just 10 seconds and a few mouse clicks you can do what it would have taken 2 hours with an S1000 and tape. therefore are we seeing nowadays vocal tracks comped out of 40 takes, and every single sylable edited and autotuned to death (=lifeless audio)
Old 7th August 2005
A lot of things were opening up, back then.

There'd just been a pop music revolution (which was even then being busily co-opted)... people were invigorated. A lot of the old "dinosaur" talent didn't 'get it' and had gone into semi-retirement. Just not having any new Boston, Journey, etc, songs for a fairly long period helped breed a friendlier music environment, right there.

But there was, like every era before it, a lot of crap, too. And, sadly, though every song you mentioned was, indeed, eye-opening, even startling, in its way, when I remember the 80s (a decade I had looked forward to so hard I pretty much started it in 1975 when I was the only 20-something in my town of a 1/3 of a million, just about, with short hair and straight leg trousers...) I'm afraid I remember a lot of the fluff (Kajegugu, anyone?) and worse (I'd name a bunch of bands but everytime I do, I get in trouble...)
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut

a decade always seems better when u hear the hits and none of the garbage that came out
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sussidio.
You have GOT to be fuking kidding....Worst song, EVER! It's offensive to me to even have to read the title and be reminded of that song.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
You have GOT to be fuking kidding....Worst song, EVER! It's offensive to me to even have to read the title and be reminded of that song.
Production and sound... David Frank programmer... kick never hits on the downbeat... mad minimoog bass... Earth Wind and Fire horns... I break my neck whenever I hear it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search