The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SHOULD I GET PRO TOOLS HD
Old 28th August 2005
Are there people out there having fun buying & using old Mix + systems?

Ours works fine!

Old 28th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
How about a soundscape system?
Latency? What's latency heh

I guess Soundscape is the industry's best kept secret?

www.sydec.be
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

how does soundscape compare to PT sonically?
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

IMHO, it is becoming more difficult to justify the expense of PT. I learned on PT, and used it for about 5 years. It's a good, solid platform. I have nothing bad to say about it aside from the fact that I don't like being locked into buying Digi hardware. that to me is a lot of crap.

Will it get you more business? Most likely the answer is yes. Can you do work that is just as good (or dare I say...better) on other platforms? I would also say yes.

If you have the work to justify the expense, I say do it. Not because I think it's a better platform, but because the people who will be paying you do. IMO, Bwav's make the "PT vs. the world" argument moot. The only kicker being that if you try to move mixes between two different platforms using two different sets of plugs, you're going to have some compatibility issues...other than that, tracks is tracks
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

So let's say that it does attact more business...

For me to invest in a PT|HD3 rig, plus converting all my plugs to TDM is *at least* $30,000.

So in order to justify the expense, I need to generate at least $30K EXTRA above and beyond what I would have made anyway, in the next 3 years. (about when the latest digital technology becomes obsolete).

That is $10,000 EXTRA each year, solely because I have PT, and once again, that just to break even!!!

I am not sure if that is possible in my market...maybe LA, NY or Nashville...
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Outboard gear imo makes a bigger difference in sound. So instead of buying Pro Tools HD, I decided to use the same money to buy an AMS Neve 1073, UA 1176 rev B, Apogee Rosetta 200 and still had money left over for other misc. gear.

Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
So let's say that it does attact more business...

For me to invest in a PT|HD3 rig, plus converting all my plugs to TDM is *at least* $30,000.

So in order to justify the expense, I need to generate at least $30K EXTRA above and beyond what I would have made anyway, in the next 3 years. (about when the latest digital technology becomes obsolete).

That is $10,000 EXTRA each year, solely because I have PT, and once again, that just to break even!!!

I am not sure if that is possible in my market...maybe LA, NY or Nashville...
This seems a little bit exaggerated to me. One can get into a ProTools HD3 system for a lot less than $30,000 especially if you already have a computer. You can always pick up some of the things you need used, I see used HD cards, HD192's, and all kinds of plugs on the DUC often. Also you don't need to have every plug-in in the book to make good mixes, just a few of the better ones will do just fine.

Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I love my Mix+++. It is my home/work setup and I use it for film sound design projects, music projects and my own projects. These days, bang for buck it is great (I got mine last winter). I already had a Rosetta for tracking though, so I'm not as hampered by the 888s, and I'm not recording bands or anything.

If I were starting out new I think I'd get an HD core and a top of the line G5. The native power is just crazy in those things and now with ADC, HD + G5 is a great combo. You could then add a process card (cheap) if you're hurting for TDM, or, Accel is always somewhat within reach with that setup.

The main thing that stung was the Waves upgrade... Another thing I'd do differently if I were starting over.

- proxy
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ours works fine!

The only thing I think that is really worth replacing is the converters. Do you go out of your 888's into a summing box? I hate the sound of those outputs. However, if it mates well with whatever you're sending it to and it all sounds great, then why worry.

HD made a big difference in my work.

-R
Old 28th August 2005
Harmless Wacko

Quote:

Ours works fine!

Absolutely.

We have a full mix-cubed 24 I/O system in a rolling rack that gets a load of use for AT, BD, VA and basic editing tasks.

It will also get used as a tracking destination in the rare circumstance that a drummer is SO GOD-AWFUL, he MUST be BD'd to hell and back in the most efficent and timely fashion.... and I really NO LONGER CARE what it 'sounds like' a whole terrible lot....

Also handy-dandy for handling a quick listen of stuff that rolls in from other shops already done on a LE, TDM or TDMII system without going thru any kinda OMF or DigiTranslator stylee tomfoolery.

Awful glad to have it.

Works the charm.

Best regards,

Slippy
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi all!

How are you doing guyz!

I've alll the post about this subject and as teh guy who started this post, myself been using Paris (ensoniq) but now i moved up with nuendo cuz Paris since a little while doenst have any support and ensoniq was stupid enought to let it go but dam i missed it, this DAW had the best sounding I think. well... now concerning having pro-tool will bring you more work or not.. i might agree a little bit because people all think that it is the standard but to takea reply of some you.. people come back because of how you work not aboslutely of hat kind of equipment you have.. its more how you deliver the marchandise.

Now my question, i havent heard anybody suggeting the Pro-Tools M-Powered from m-audio? Besides having the full HDD, or instead or getting the Digi 02, is it the same ot get m-powered one? Of course i'm cmparing here the m-powered with the digi 02-digi 91 and Mbox?

for Pro-tools users, what do u guyz think about the m-powered version?

Thanx

My

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search