The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ode to Owsley
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ode to Owsley

I remember I was 17 and, by chance, while rummaging through Tower Records, stopped at a listening station featuring Owsley. Within the first 30 seconds I was sold, and walked the CD with the cool wallpaper artwork up to the register.

I was waiting for them to blow up...never did. At least not in my town. About a year later I heard a few radio plays, and I think a few videos... still none of my friends knew who he was.

Cut to today. Working on a mix that I think is sounding really good. Pop in the "Owsley - Owsley" CD that I haven't listened to in probably a year.

Damn... everything is just better. Songwriting, tones, production, production, production. I really just love the way this album was mixed. Commercial but not artificial. Catchy without inciting a gag reflex. Still listenable!!

Any other closet fans out there? Anyone know any inside details on the production of this album?
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Love it myself....Used it as a reference for years....The Tom lord mixes on there are great...It was up for a grammy for best engineered album.

I was not as happy with the second disc..Songs are ok but no Tom lord mixes...I guess not enough $$$ from the first record.

By buddies a few years back were hannging out with him and Jason Falkner. They played a concert together. They went to denny's and Owsley was telling them all about the making of the record.

I was soooo pissed. i was out of town playing a gig and missed that night. That would have been fun gear talk. He's also a great gtr player.
Old 6th August 2005
There is only one

hmmm, i thought you were talking about a different owsley...
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Will Owsley is a genius...never quite hit his mark commercially unfortunately...

i think both albums are great....first one was recorded by owsley and some buddies and mixed by tla...the 2nd was mixed with Paul David Hager, a buddy of mine...and a fantastic engineer/producer/mixer...

Paul recently has been working with Butch Walker....but has done ALOT of really good stuff...

Owsley writes amazing pop-rock songs, and is a damn fine guitarist as well...

definitely a fan here....wish more people would discover him....

also...a plug here for Brendan Benson if you are a fan of power-pop-rock music that is actually good....from detroit....fantastic writer...Tchad Blake mixed his last release...check him out..
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499
Will Owsley is a genius...never quite hit his mark commercially unfortunately...

i think both albums are great....first one was recorded by owsley and some buddies and mixed by tla...the 2nd was mixed with Paul David Hager, a buddy of mine...and a fantastic engineer/producer/mixer...

Paul recently has been working with Butch Walker....but has done ALOT of really good stuff...

Owsley writes amazing pop-rock songs, and is a damn fine guitarist as well...

definitely a fan here....wish more people would discover him....

also...a plug here for Brendan Benson if you are a fan of power-pop-rock music that is actually good....from detroit....fantastic writer...Tchad Blake mixed his last release...check him out..
Nice... will deff check out Benson post-haste!
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
hmmm, i thought you were talking about a different owsley...

Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, my thoughts exactly Sunshine.

Actually, that Owsley was quite the recordist with the Grateful Dead. His acoustic recordings of 'Old And In The Way' are quite excellent, as you probably already know.

The liner notes to Dick's Picks Vol. 4 have a pretty good explanation about how he recorded back in the day.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Another one to check out...Hard to find and not very good production is Millard Powers...Great songs and an awesome bass player.

He played bass on a hand full of tunes on that Owsley record.
Old 6th August 2005
Erm... I was hoping this was an ode to Augustus Owsley Stanley III.

I must be getting old.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
Any other closet fans out there?
I love that record too. A lot of my friends work/played on it. I love the comment about the Tascam DA-88.
Old 6th August 2005
Here for the gear

We (the Frotus Caper) played a gig with Owsley - he and his band were amazing - it was just like listening to one of his records. They did a great cover of "My Old School".

Brilliant debut album - didn't it win a Grammy for production? Super nice guy, too
Old 7th August 2005
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

from Owsley's website:

"Owsley’s first album was nominated for a Grammy, “Best Engineered Album”. Owsley, as the engineer of his own release, was personally nominated for his engineering work.

This confirmed what Owsley fans had known all along, not only was Owsley an amazing artist, his first release was the “best sounding” album out there."_

I know a lot of guys that worked on that record that might have a problem with that statement!

I did love the record though.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
Erm... I was hoping this was an ode to Augustus Owsley Stanley III.
He was actually Will Owsley's uncle or something like that. Honest.

That first record was really great. The second one was very disappointing for me. Of course, a few of songs on that first record were YEARS old. I actually know someone who has a copy of that record with Owsley's (I think) mixes on it--pre TLA. I like JR's mixes, too. That guy is no slouch, either!

If you dig Owsley, you should look for a copy of the Semantics record. It was a band that Will had with Millard Powers (the keyboard player on his first album who co-wrote some of it) and Ben Folds. It's really good and has earlier versions of a couple of songs that wound up on his record.

It is a shame that the record never got bigger than it did. I guess Giant didn't really have the power, although Will also developed a reputation for cancelling tour dates. I paid a good deal of money to get in to a local music festival to see him, only to find out that he had cancelled. Bummer.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 7th August 2005
Motown legend

ahh. NOT Bear...
Old 7th August 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
ahh. NOT Bear...
we were all hoping....
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes the Semantics are cool.... Ben is a great little drummer as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search