The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focusrite ISA428 digi opt....?
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Focusrite ISA428 digi opt....?

Hi everybody

I am new to this forum but really enjoyed reading many of the topics. It seems like you guys know what you are talking about.

Anyway, I am the happy owner of a Focusrite ISA428 mic pre. I go directly to my RME Hammerfall soundcard. (Multiface, analogue in).

I was wondering if any of you guys have an opinion, or even better an experience with the digi option for the 428. How are the converters compared with the RME?

I seriously consider getting that ADAT option, but will I actually gain any sonic quality compared to the RME converters, which are pretty good?
Old 5th August 2005

I haven't used either, but I know the digital option on the focusrite useses similar converters to digidesign HD, same main parts, but not exactly the same or something. the RME converters have a rep for being very good for the money. i would hazard a guess and say you'll find the quality between the two to be quite similar.

narco
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have both ISA 428 (+AD option) and RME fireface 800. I clock both to a Big Ben master clock....The ISA sounds great @ 88.2Khz/24bit....its every bit as good as the Digidesign stuff....plus great value for money...........The AD board for the ISA has a total of 8 converters (upto 96Khz)....I use the other four channels for my other pres....Chandlers/API's....The RME stuff is all very good...a lot of Classical recordists "big up" the RME stuff.
I think in general the ISA 428 (+AD board) and RME fireface 2gether are a very powerful and cost effective solution.....Big Ben helps tho
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Hi

Thanks for the inputs! I think I am going to go for the digi option. It seems like a bargian for 8 top converters.

Man, I would love to have your fireface/428/big ben setup!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search