The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
May be the dumbest mixing question ever but please help
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

May be the dumbest mixing question ever but please help

Ok, here's the deal. I used to mix on Cool Edit Pro, and all the effects would be processed to audio files, no bussing, inserts, etc. Just open the audio, apply compression, bam done. Nothing live. Not to mention I only mixed vocals before.

NOW: i have full band recordings, and a DIGI 002 with waves platinum.

Somebody give me a quick mixing for dummies PLEASE

I've heard stuff about mix buss, inserts, sends, etc etc I'm just absolutely retarted when it comes to this.

SO if anybody could quickly just run this down for me I'll love you forever.

Also any tips on drum, guitar, bass, keyboard mixing would be a great bonus.

I do have what i consider to be a great ear for this stuff and I did spend tons of money on this 002 and waves, I get the concept of bussing, just very vague on it

Thanks so much in advance
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi there.

Are you familiar with traditional hardware mixers at all ... or is your experience with mixing based purely in the software domain??

Cheers
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

This is kind of stupid, but this is the way I always think of it.
Bussing.
The vocal man is standing around waiting to be taken somewhere. Put him on the reverb bus. As soon as vocal man gets on the bus, he's inside the reverb.
Sending.
If vocal man is on a send, he sprouts a twin. The original vocal stays behind and goes to the mall or whatever, and the twin gets on the reverb bus. That way, you can mix between the two of them.
My teacher explained that one to me when I was in school. I laughed my ass off.
Old 5th August 2005

find someone else who knows how to, sit in on a session, or pay them to mix yours and then copy them,

mix buss is just the main output of your mixer. an "8 bus" mixer has 8 busses other than the main out. these can in turn be sent to the main out or to a seperate physical out

insert is like an effect on the channel, like patching in a pedal on your guitar chord.

a send sends a bit of the sound to.... wherever the send goes to... so you can put one effect on a number of different channels, just set up a send on each channel and then "insert" the effect on the channel that is being sent to.

play with "compression" and "eq" on different tracks untill each thing sounds how you want it to, and then set up the relative levels..

ha ha ha, its actually really hard to explain, but quite simple once you get it. best to learn by working with someone who knows more than you

narco
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

I suppose I’m just a reactionary old sod, but every time I read the word ‘buss’, it make the remains of my hair stand on end….. The word is ‘BUS’, it is a diminutive form of the word ‘omnibus’ which was used in the early days of mixers to indicate where everyone gets on and off; a good picture analogy for the modern mix bus.

The word ‘buss’ is a Shakespearian word meaning ‘kiss’. (http://www.answers.com/topic/buss )

It would be too much to expect the majority of desk manufacturers to change their handbooks, so I shall go on being grumpy…..

Ted Fletcher
www.tfpro.com
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley
This is kind of stupid, but this is the way I always think of it.
Bussing.
The vocal man is standing around waiting to be taken somewhere. Put him on the reverb bus. As soon as vocal man gets on the bus, he's inside the reverb.
Sending.
If vocal man is on a send, he sprouts a twin. The original vocal stays behind and goes to the mall or whatever, and the twin gets on the reverb bus. That way, you can mix between the two of them.
My teacher explained that one to me when I was in school. I laughed my ass off.
Haha!!
So did I...nice work
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

yeah i've only done things on software,

so i guess the best way to go about this would to set up about aux tracks for different mixing effects (comp, eq), then send the vocals or whatever else to these tracks.

what effects would you recomend for sending, and which for inserting?

thanks so much again
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

This may be why folks are confused. Plus, I think bus as in 'autobus' is spelled with 'ss' in some parts of the world.
Attached Thumbnails
May be the dumbest mixing question ever but please help-buss-fuses.jpg  
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF
I suppose I’m just a reactionary old sod, but every time I read the word ‘buss’, it make the remains of my hair stand on end….. The word is ‘BUS’

for as long as i can remember, in every manual and brochure for desks from api to mci to sound workshop, and old rags from days long gone, the word used is buss.

although, often in the very same piece of copy, bus occasionally appears there as well.

in all, the industry standard seems to be buss.

in any case, valium is good for the hair-standing-on-end thing ; )

gregoire
del ubik
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

It's left over from electrics terminology.

Buss bars.

Or wiring busses.

Visible routing traces. It's "buss", yeah.. not "bus".
Old 6th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackInslee
yeah i've only done things on software,

so i guess the best way to go about this would to set up about aux tracks for different mixing effects (comp, eq), then send the vocals or whatever else to these tracks.

what effects would you recomend for sending, and which for inserting?

thanks so much again
start with sending reverb and delays, or anything that you want a dry and wet (not effected and effected) signal, dry through the main channel, wet through the send.

I spelt bus/buss both ways in my original post, I am an equal oportunist.

Last edited by matt thomas; 6th August 2005 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: spelling

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search