The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
gear shops in new york city
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

gear shops in new york city

any gearslutz' favorite equipment shops in new york city?

thanks,

bojan
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

i've lived here for 19 years and i buy nothing here................
instruments are a different story.........
mandolin brothers.....
rogue music........
and probably the weird little places........

the 48th street situation is so pro-sumer, and then you've gotta listen to
someone playing "cat scratch fever" really loud - i can't handle it anymore ........
the new guitar center is even worse.........

i buy things online and i like walking in new york

be well

- jack
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

The only thing I buy at local stores are strings.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

You can occasionally get a better-than-retail experience at Dale Pro Audio, but there's definitely nothing here that compares w/ Mercenary or Atlas.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, or you can check out the used dept at B&H. One engineer I worked with bought a Neve33609c there years ago... good luck
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Can't say enough good things about 30th street guitars. Neither has the above mentioned prosumer hell or the snooty boutique vibe. They seem like serious lovers of what they sell and their luthier (Matt?) is excellent and personable. +1 to Dale Pro Audio. Prices might not be as close to margin as someone out of state but they do give good support and they are here in the city. If you are on good terms they'll allow you to demo stuff at your place.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
i've lived here for 19 years and i buy nothing here................
instruments are a different story.........
mandolin brothers.....
rogue music........
and probably the weird little places........

the 48th street situation is so pro-sumer, and then you've gotta listen to
someone playing "cat scratch fever" really loud - i can't handle it anymore ........
the new guitar center is even worse.........

i buy things online and i like walking in new york

be well

- jack
the man speaks truth.
i could not agree more.
all i can add is some little places in brooklyn have sometimes interesting finds, rumbleseat music for example, when it existed that is.

FM

FM, ask for him by name.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Guru

I get all my Pro Tools and Plugin crap and Dale Pro Audio. Great prices.

Everything else from Fletcher.

I can't stand going to the 48th Street stores either. It can take you an hour and a half to get a freakin mike cable. geez.

Although I do buy my drum stuff their.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

rogue music rocks.
just got an 1176 from them yesterday.

pete
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

There's some nice shops. On 44th bet 8th and 9th, there's a great nylon string guitar shop called Luthier, and on 9th in the high 40's, there's a great guitar shop called NY Guitar and Bass Boutique.

48th street is great if you need something fast, but I get nearly all my stuff from Alto Music in Middletown, NY.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahluk
Can't say enough good things about 30th street guitars. Neither has the above mentioned prosumer hell or the snooty boutique vibe. They seem like serious lovers of what they sell and their luthier (Matt?) is excellent and personable. +1 to Dale Pro Audio. Prices might not be as close to margin as someone out of state but they do give good support and they are here in the city. If you are on good terms they'll allow you to demo stuff at your place.
been going to 30th st guitars for years. good people. TONS of great blackfaces and tons of used guitars. no BS. obviously ebay is cheaper but you can't try before you buy on ebay....

you can try everything at 30th st. no pressure.

no recording gear there that i have seen.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

For pro audio the 8.25% sales tax just kills it for me. Plus, I have a guy in Cali who crushes Dales's prices by 15-30% WITHOUT factoring in the 8.25%

They make a killing on commisions there at Dale.

My guy in Cali makes a tiny percentage, but I buy EVERYTHING from him, from mics and cables to $4000 EQs.

I have never put a ton of stock in pro audio "service".... you either have a good price or you don't, you either have a return policy or you don't. If something breaks, I send it to the manufacturer.

For guitars, amps, FX:

30th Street Guitars
Carmine Street Guitars
Ludlow Street Guitars
Rudys Music (48th st)
Rogue Music
Matt Umanov Guitars
Mandolin Bros if you have a car and $$,$$$
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have found great USED gear deals at the pro audio companies that service NYC and the Broadway community. Cadac mixing consoles (you simply may not believe how amazingly good they sound!), Summit tube EQs and comps, lots of good BSS and dbx gear used (who was looking for 903 racks?) all of it well loved but VERY well maintained by quality engineers. I bought some EQs from Sound Associates, comps, mics and DI's from PRG Audio (used to be ProMix/ElectroTec) and a bunch of other stuff from Masque Sound.

High end audio new? Fletcher or direct from the maker whenever possible.
Old 5th August 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

Rogue Music and 30th Street Guitars are right across from each other. I lived and worked in NYC for nearly 10 years and did almost all my gear shopping at Rogue. They've got a mix of everything, and you never know what you might find. Coolest store in the city, IMO.

It's worth a stroll down 48th street, but more to just take in the freak show.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Whatever you do don't buy anything from SamAsh or Manny's music (owned by SamAsh) they're overpriced assclowns.

I like Dale Pro Audio.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
Whatever you do don't buy anything from SamAsh or Manny's music (owned by SamAsh) they're overpriced assclowns.

I like Dale Pro Audio.
so so true.
thumbsup

FM
Old 6th August 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

Lark Street Music over in Teaneck, NJ (not too far from Manhattan) has great vintage and boutique guitar gear. Buzzy, the owner is great, extremely laid back.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Guru

my impression of dale pro is that their rooms sound like ass, the staff is useless, and they don't know what good sound is.

also, their prices are high.

other than that, they rock!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 6th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Dale Pro sho' do look perty in them pitchers...

War
Old 6th August 2005
rll
Gear Maniac

Chris at Tekserve on 23rd Street is really amazing. Bought my PTHD rig and it has been humming along, no problems. I've sent about 5 others to them, and all had great experiences. Best price I found after mucho shopping around, although this is almost 2 years ago when they just got into the pro audio game, so things may have changed. Beat the tax by sending it to NJ or CT. Amazingly good support, which can come in handy on the computer front, perhaps more so than other gear. 48th Street is hilarious. Sam Ash Pro was on Broadway and they were decent for cable, connectors, etc., but have been reduced to 1/100th of the size. They now linger on the 48th St. Music Strip Mall.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rll
Sam Ash Pro was on Broadway and they were decent for cable, connectors, etc., but have been reduced to 1/100th of the size. They now linger on the 48th St. Music Strip Mall.

i used to get stuff at sam ash pro.......at the old store.........

on a side note, for any nyc slutz into vinyl - colony music - right there at that
corner has a hidden, but un****ingbelievable basement full of vinyl in pristine
shape, some of it sealed - you've got to convince the guy you're serious to have
him open the door, but then.........more vinyl than i've seen in any one
place in 20 years.....

be well
- jack
Old 6th August 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

Calistro Music in Connecticut is only like an hour from NYC. Great service and very knowledgeable!
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
i used to get stuff at sam ash pro.......at the old store.........

on a side note, for any nyc slutz into vinyl - colony music - right there at that
corner has a hidden, but un****ingbelievable basement full of vinyl in pristine
shape, some of it sealed - you've got to convince the guy you're serious to have
him open the door, but then.........more vinyl than i've seen in any one
place in 20 years.....

be well
- jack
colony music is on Broadway and what? They may have a great selection but how are their prices? I was shopping in New Jersey they other day and I found original pressing of Les Paul and Mary Ford's How High the Moon, as well as some mint Errol Garner and other gems... $2 a piece!!! I've found decent vinyl and cds in Brooklyn too, but they tend to be a little bit more pricey.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp71
Calistro Music in Connecticut is only like an hour from NYC. Great service and very knowledgeable!

i have had nothing but great experiences buying stuff from Craig Calistro

- jack
Old 6th August 2005
If you are in New York, look up Studio Consultants, they go back further than anybody in that immediate area that I'm aware of, and IMO are more knowledgable than Dale or Calistro. They are one of the 'good guys' too IMO...not just trying to move boxes.

Studio Consultants, Inc.
321 West 44th Street
Suite 908
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 586-7376
Fax: (212) 582-2169
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutkj
colony music is on Broadway and what? They may have a great selection but how are their prices? I was shopping in New Jersey they other day and I found original pressing of Les Paul and Mary Ford's How High the Moon, as well as some mint Errol Garner and other gems... $2 a piece!!! I've found decent vinyl and cds in Brooklyn too, but they tend to be a little bit more pricey.

the prices were o.k. to expensive, but the guy would haggle if the pieces
weren't clean - good clean vinyl that doesn't require searching is never cheap
right now, in my opinion, the internet has changed so much of the old pricing/
geography equasions.............if you are willing to spend $30 on one piece
of vinyl , a title you really love, try speakers corner....... its amazing new vinyl

be well

jack
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
If you are in New York, look up Studio Consultants, they go back further than anybody in that immediate area that I'm aware of, and IMO are more knowledgable than Dale or Calistro. They are one of the 'good guys' too IMO...not just trying to move boxes.

Studio Consultants, Inc.
321 West 44th Street
Suite 908
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 586-7376
Fax: (212) 582-2169

Are they still around?

Last i heard they became a place for post and then they shut their doors.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut

There is this guy in the Hamptons, Long Island who has a huge selection of vintage American gear- Fairchild, RCA, Ampex, Altec, etc. I wasn't happy with his prices because he bases everything off of what they are going for on ebay (and people pay stupid ammounts for vintage **** on ebay, regardless of the condition). But I was super impressed with his collection of about 100 RCA 44bx and 77dx mics. He said that he bought Gotham Audio a while back, and that he also bought a few big studios or something. His name is Robert Van Dyke. Anyone know anything about this guy? I wish I could afford his gear.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

i got my myteks from studio consultants in nyc also,
they were very helpful and knowledgable.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutkj
There is this guy in the Hamptons, Long Island who has a huge selection of vintage American gear- Fairchild, RCA, Ampex, Altec, etc. I wasn't happy with his prices because he bases everything off of what they are going for on ebay (and people pay stupid ammounts for vintage **** on ebay, regardless of the condition). But I was super impressed with his collection of about 100 RCA 44bx and 77dx mics. He said that he bought Gotham Audio a while back, and that he also bought a few big studios or something. His name is Robert Van Dyke. Anyone know anything about this guy? I wish I could afford his gear.

he quoted me some ok prices on some rca pres, but in a raw state, ultimately, he
was always GROUCHY NO TIME FOR QUESTIONS ARE YOU GOING TO BUY IT??
sometimes i didn't know whether to believe him or not, things like :
me : "do you have any altec birdcage mics?"
him: " have any? i have 57 of them all set to go........."

i gather from your post that you have been to his spot.........

- jack

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search