The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
record co's collapse, we take over & get rich off MP3 sales? Remember that plan?
Old 5th August 2005
record co's collapse, we take over & get rich off MP3 sales? Remember that plan?

Just wondering how the "New model" music biz plans are doing....

My 'get rich off a publishing - for free recording swap' deal has stalled somewhat.. .Reasons..
1) Not finding enough bands I want to offer it to (my fault if I sit on GS all night - I never go out & see any new bands)
2) The bands being suspisious and waiting to hold out for the "big deal" (often never there)
3) Lawyers not asking the bands managers - 'do you think this recording will really help you'? (answer YES!) but instead feeling 'defeated' as lawyers if they have allowed a little piece to go..

I met an old skool lawyer who was around in the 70's he said back then legal folks by and large worked HARD on how to GET STUFF DONE & MOVE FORWARD.. Now folks work on how to HOLD STUFF BACK & NEVER GIVE AN INCH. He said it was a lamentable situation these days...

Truth is. I am confident I am not the son of Satan, (...feels head for signs of horns) I have just been a little off the ball in the new band spotting this last year. I have been out gigging more and intend to keep the publishing co fire burning!

How are folks (or your studios clients) getting on with own releases?

Any progress with CD BABY? ITUNES?

Downloads? Podcasting?

Web commerce?

Where are we at with the do it yourself release / $$$ for recordings - Summer 2005?

Old 5th August 2005
Funny you post this now, I am just reading up on some internet publishing ideas and how to market music over the "new distribution chain."

I am very interested in hearing real world examples.

Also what books would all of you recommend (in the GS shop I hope because I would love to give Jules something back for the great site).

thumbsup
Old 5th August 2005
There is only one

band i am getting ready to head into the studio in a week with for their second album has been DIY and sold a few thousand through their website, made national press, gotten radio play, heavy touring... now gotten a few sponsors, found private backing, and seem to be playing a good game despite the condition of the majors... something to be said about a little hard work on the bands part going after what they want instead of waiting for it to come to them.

sure it isnt platinum success, but at least its better than 95% of the bands out there.
Old 5th August 2005
BRING ON THE PRIVATE INVESTORS!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
record co's collapse, we take over & get rich off MP3 sales? Remember that plan?-fanfare-trio.jpg  
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well the model is still new, e-commerce is just now beginning to show profit. But in the end, it still comes down to one thing - marketing. Whether it's payola, advertizing budgets - whatever, you need big money to get the masses to realize you have a good product.

Well, one other thing works too - reputation, it your known to have good taste in product, people will pay attention to your new unknown stuff - IE they'll give it a chance
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

The band I spent almost exactly a year on developing and producing has just signed to Capitol Records. The label loves the production and doesn't want to change a thing....just get it mixed.

As far as the industry collapsing, I'd still rather sign with a major than an indy.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I met an old skool lawyer who was around in the 70's he said back then legal folks by and large worked HARD on how to GET STUFF DONE & MOVE FORWARD.. Now folks work on how to HOLD STUFF BACK & NEVER GIVE AN INCH. He said it was a lamentable situation these days...
The 70's model seems poised for a swing back.

Quote:
How are folks (or your studios clients) getting on with own releases?
I've got one "in the can" by Naeemah, and another in the works by G•Starr.

Naeemah's set to DIY a regional release in October, and she seems intent on doing an end-run around the labels at this point via indie distro + CD Baby + digital distro. Still, with my family's contacts we're "kinda-sorta" shopping it, but more to draw attention to Naeemah's long term potential (she has it).

G•Starr's CD will be the soundtrack to a theatrical rock opera he wrote, and since dude's got mad connections in the theatrical side of the biz, there's a built-in clientele for the CD, and we'll be working that angle while "kinda-sorta" shopping it to the labels (see above).

The big point I've been pushing on both Naeemah and G•Starr, is the importance of getting barcode scans on EVERY possible sale, and getting those scans into the Soundscan database. The idea being: If we sell a boatload of CD's and MP3's ourselves, the majors will take notice and say, "Hey, they're competing with us, so we have to go into business with them," at which point national distro offers will come.

That's the plan, Jules. We'll keep you updated on our progress.

Happy hunting as always!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorderman
The label loves the production and doesn't want to change a thing....just get it mixed.
Fa real. The labels LOVE that, when you can bring it like that. THAT's the new model: Indie producers getting the act together, right up to the point of sale.

Good work on that tip, Recorderman. May the sales be with you!
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

Bump, so, progress report!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search