The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Country of Origin- How much does it mean to you?
Old 6th August 2005
it is possible, I'm not saying they are a backward country, far from it!
but they are making so much money in cheap stuff now
that I don't see why they should be bothered
quality product also means service and production over a number of years.
and if you read how difficult it was for SE to set up their business...
Old 6th August 2005
500 series nutjob

i don't blame china for trying to better their standing just wal-mart.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quite a while ago i had to mix a live show on a russian console.
So everything was labeled in cyrillic...

Other than that i don´t care that much....
Old 6th August 2005
Tom if you are wondering if "Made in Germany" or "Made in USA" - would add value to a product or a marketing campaign... I think some in the GS crowd might be cynical and immediately jump to the question - "by made - do you mean assembled" because folks might think anyone in business would be buying cheap parts from - well.. whatever country sells em cheapest..

That is only a guess, I cant speak for everybody.. only myself.. and I don't care too much about country of origin of parts or location of assembly..

I wonder technically, if, to state the the claim "Made in Germany" or "Made in USA" one has two very different sets of legal requirements to satisfy.. One for each country...??
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
We used to say the same thing about Japanese "copy cats" in the car industry in the '60's and '70's - IE Japanese junk.
Ibanez lawsuit guitars?

If it sounds good....

Andrew
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
it is possible, I'm not saying they are a backward country, far from it!
but they are making so much money in cheap stuff now
that I don't see why they should be bothered
quality product also means service and production over a number of years.
and if you read how difficult it was for SE to set up their business...

THEY? As in all 1.3 billion or however many of THEM there are? Good lord that's some narrow thinking. Stop and think for a second man. That's just plain unreal. You are saying that no company in a country with four times our population would find a niche in high-quality production because they're just too busy making crap? THEY can put people in space. THEY are a nuclear power. I think at least a few of THEM might bother to think THEY can make a little money plugging the parts into the board and soldering some high-end audio equipment (which, btw, once you design it right, is the same as cheap stuff but with better components.)

ps. SE is not a high end company. They are in the business to make cheap products cheaper.
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale116dot7
Not-so-hypothetical question:

GM has a plant in, say, Flint, MI. They move the plant to Mexico because labour is cheaper, and maybe the union is a bit cranky. But they now have thousands of people out of work, and now unable to afford to buy those GM-powered cars and trucks. It's not rocket science here.

Except for cars. Then it's Germany - until a North American car company makes a good quality car that'll do 80 miles to the gallon, and just feels right when you drive it.

Sorry,
Germany makes wimpy cars.

My Hummer can flatten them with ease!

My Jeep can then circle the wreckage and climb on top.

Until the "furineers" make a man's vehicle, I stick with what works.

"Like nothing else", ain't that the truth!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

BTW, open up any piece of gear you have and start naming all the counties those parts come from, what a fun game that can be with your kids!
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdarling
THEY? As in all 1.3 billion or however many of THEM there are? Good lord that's some narrow thinking. Stop and think for a second man. That's just plain unreal. You are saying that no company in a country with four times our population would find a niche in high-quality production because they're just too busy making crap? THEY can put people in space. THEY are a nuclear power. I think at least a few of THEM might bother to think THEY can make a little money plugging the parts into the board and soldering some high-end audio equipment (which, btw, once you design it right, is the same as cheap stuff but with better components.)

ps. SE is not a high end company. They are in the business to make cheap products cheaper.
I think you are missing my point. Apart from how advanced chinese culture is, compared to barbarians like me, I think you have to realise that this is a BIG country. And it is not like the USA where everybody more or less speaks the same languages (english and spanish) Every province has its own language. Family relations are most important. More important than companies. The big cities are something else. Something might happen there. But the production standard of a company, any company depends on suppliers and how to get the finished product to buyers. And the framework is not there in China at this moment. For high end pro audio products that is. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they can't do it. They can (if you can speak of "they"), it is certainly possible. Maybe it will happen soon. But I don't think so: An industry catering for pro audio IS something special, and unique until now in history. It depended on the state of the market, and on the level of scientific development. That you and I are sitting behind a nice console is a fluke of nature.
There is more money to be made in consumer electronics.

"western" music is certainly on the up, over there, and in a way you are right:
I have to go there myself to be able to say anything definitive. I will, as the first opportunity arises.
Old 6th August 2005
500 series nutjob

jules makes a good point of topic with made in verses assembled in.
products assembled in a country most certainly will have a degree of foreign made products, with electronics, i would think it will most certainly, be a hi component count.
many companies build a reputation based on their build quality, and service.
i would think theses companies making or assembling products here in the us, or any country, maintaining a reputation for good solid products, these companies must be evaluating their components, and keeping a very tight tolerance control on their quality.
some companies will use only items within 1%, some sadly do not.
so, i think this can be accomplished in any country of origin.
it just dose not appear, ( to me ) on the surface, that all countries of origin ( or manufacturers with-in ) will follow such practices.
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Sorry,

My Hummer can flatten them with ease!
LOL, you got a hummer??
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
LOL, you got a hummer??

Yea, it's part of my "Roadway Upgrades"

Some of my neighbors don't appreciate my using it to jump curves and cross over the medians of divided highways, but heck, I don't wait in traffic anymore, I simply blaze a new route.

I still love the Jeep Wrangler out on the Anza Borego desert. I get to play "Rat Patrol" out there and pretend I have a 50 mm machine gun mounted in the back.

I'm not a typical Red Neck, but I need to escape the world of tiny electronic circuits and blow off steam. 4 wheel dirt wompin' is the best escape from an over developed world.

Try it and see!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

"Conserving the Earth's natural resources".
Yea, right!
Old 7th August 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
PS: And Fletcher talks about his measly 100k+ miles on a Jeep...my Blazer and I laugh at his low mileage while we smoothly shift towards the 300k mark.
The Jeep put a sparkplug through the head of piston #6... she is no more.

The accountant had been yelling at us that there were clear and distinct tax advantages to having a company car... so with trepidation I find myself behind the wheel of a 'dealer demo' [came with a dent... no pun intended Warren] middle of the line Swedish car, the manufacturer owned by GM... that just hit the 10k mileage mark. I'll not be bitching about my mode of transportation for many [many, many!!!] years to come.

I gotta say, it's pretty fukkin' cool to have an actual "grown up" car!!!
Old 7th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
I gotta say, it's pretty fukkin' cool to have an actual "grown up" car!!!
I want a new Mustang convertible so bad I can't stand it...but the wife and I don't see eye to eye on it. One of these days if I happen to find $25k lying around (haha!) I'd love to have one. I rented one while I was in Plymouth recently and drove up to Portland for a trip with it and they are sweet. Even the V6 has some nuts to it. To me the ultimate relaxation is riding with the top down, which can be done in SC 10 months out of the year (we wear short sleeves even on Christmas day half the time).

Hmm....Front End Audio company car...

War

PS: I was wanting to call and check out Mercenary while I was up there for my sister's wedding but had to leave early to come home for the new baby! That was a fiasco...missed the wedding and the birth...doh! We're going "full retail" down here with a showroom, demo booth, yada yada and I'd love to see how you guys are doing it there. Next time I'm up I'll show up in a Mustang...rental...?
Old 7th August 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I want a new Mustang convertible so bad I can't stand it...but the wife and I don't see eye to eye on it. One of these days if I happen to find $25k lying around (haha!) I'd love to have one.
me to!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search