The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how is RNLA for buss work?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

how is RNLA for buss work?

hey anybody try this thing on a buss yet?
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

I tried it tonight.

It sounds great on a buss! I didn't try too many different settings, but here's the basic deal: It's very effecty. It has an awesome sound, but one that makes its presence known. It's not what you'd ever call transparent, but it is damned musical.

Because of the kind of music I tend to record I probably wont run out and buy 2 more, but if I recorded rock music I might.
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

yep, I've not yet tried it on 2 bus, but I've plugged the pod into it, I've used it on the insters of the MP 2NV with mics on my Taylor acoustic, and I've run bass guitar and used it as an insert on drums and thought it sounded amazing.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

cool,
keep it coming, this is a big purchase and shipping to
hawaii is $$$$$ heh heh heh
Old 8th August 2005
Here's a mix I passed through the RNLA last night:

Stimulus
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think I'd have to hear what the mix sounded like without the RNLA to know what the RNLA did to it. Do you have a short sample of the pre-RNLA mix by any chance?
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
I think I'd have to hear what the mix sounded like without the RNLA to know what the RNLA did to it. Do you have a short sample of the pre-RNLA mix by any chance?
I'll get one bounced tonight or tomorrow when I'm back in the studio. thumbsup
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen
Here's a mix I passed through the RNLA last night:

Stimulus
sounds great!
Old 9th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevan
sounds great!
Thanks! Should I mention that it's mixed ITB aside from sending the 2-bus out to the RNLA?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, that's good to know too! I'm picking up my RNLA from UPS tonight...can't wait.

Brad
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen
I'll get one bounced tonight or tomorrow when I'm back in the studio. thumbsup
Thanks, that will really help us to hear what the RNLA is doing for your tracks.
Old 10th August 2005
Sorry for the delay...busy, busy, busy...

So, here's a short 1min. sample of the mix without and with the RNLA. I left off any additional peak limiting/mastering kinds of stuff post-bounce, so turn your levels up a bit; this is the just straight 2-bus through the RNLA.

Mix w/o RNLA

Mix w/RNLA
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

Anyone have any buss tests with anything less nu-metalicious?

No offense against your thang, but my swing's diff'r'nt. Although I'll be the first to say it's well-recorded (though I can't help but notice the singer needs to tune his internal B-string).
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting those two tracks. they are both plenty hot actually, I didn't need to turn up at all!

The RNLA seems to be adding some euphonic type something, and a little bit of that thick glue stuff. I feel the track sounds better with it than without it. I also liked the RNLA only track better than the fully mastered long example you posted earlier, which sounded a bit over-processed to me. This one breathed a bit more, I enjoyed listening to it more.

Thanks again for taking the time to post those clips. Now I *really* can't wait for my RNLA to get here!
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

The one with RNLA is louder, so you may want to match gain apon listening.

Yes, both of these sounds better to me then the first posted song
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

The instruments seem to jump out a helluva lot more in the RNLA version then in the ITB version.
Old 10th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
instruments seem to jump out a helluva lot more then just the ITB version.
here's the funny thing - the "no RNLA" version was still going through it, but the unit was bypassed, so the signal chains were exactly the same.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry I edited because I had to structure my assessment in a clear complete sentence. heh
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I thought the version WITH the processing brought out the transients and helped settle the vocal. How far were you compressing?

I used the RNLA Monday night for a solo acoustic recording, with the RNLA on the 2-buss of my Trident. (Signal path: AEAR84 left, Neumann KM84i R, into 1024, into Trident, into RNLA, into Masterlink). With a very gentle setting, it barely touched meters but gave a gentle focus and a touch of color to a cold living room (hey, not my call- the musician's.)

Not a bad box- lots of good options, to squeeze, or to color subtlely.

JvB
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

What is RNLA?
Old 11th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
I thought the version WITH the processing brought out the transients and helped settle the vocal. How far were you compressing?
Threshold: -6
Ratio: 2:1
Attack: 6
Release: 1
Gain: +2
LogRel switched ON

I was averaging -2dB reduction.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Bleen, have you tried taking it farther? I would love to hear it starting to squish like the Alan Smart. I need a rock project to try this on, or some time to break out some former multitracks and play with this. After using this on piano I am really dying to try it on drum buss.

To answer the question after my last response, the RNLA is FMR Audio's Really Nice Levelling Amplifier, a low-cost, high-quality, great sounding comp with some color and attitude.

thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search