The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor Stands..
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Monitor Stands..

Guys, just curious what you are using for Monitor Stands. Who makes a good, but not overly expensive stand? Is it cheaper and better to make your own? IF so, what type of wood and materials.

Walked into Guitar Center and they were 169.00 and they looked like cheap pieces of crap. So I walked out..

Any weblinks would be helpfull

Thanks..
Old 4th August 2005

Make sure they are pretty heavy. Non-resonant is good too.

A coulumn made of MDF and filled with sand would be good. You can laminate them with wood, formica, or glue marble tile to them.

Marble columns would be good too....

-tINY

Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm using Ultimates, which aren't bad for low-rent stands:

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/monitorstands.html

They sell for about $150 USD a pair. I'm using the taller 46" version to get as much separation from desk reflections as possible. They're a little tippy with heavy monitors, but you can fill the bottom of the column with sand or lead shot for more stability. Or fill the whole colum with sand for more resonance damping.
Old 4th August 2005
I bought pretty beefy ones -- I thought -- and filled them with sand. But, sitting on carpet, they still feel just a bit rocky under my Event 20/20bas monitors, at least for ever-shaky California. They're fine, though, for my NS10ms, which are much lighter (although if the resale value on them keeps going up they may still become too expensive to risk heh ).

I'm using old copies of Electronic Musician (carefully matched for thickness, of course) as pads. One of these days, I'll go down to the 99 cent store and buy some Britney Spears or Minnie Mouse mousepads and stick under 'em...
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

good question !!

I need a new pair, too...... and I also need some more basstraps....

anyone tried the ASC tubetrap-monitor stands ????
a bit pricey, but nice combination if they DO work as advertised... any firsthand experiences?
.... if so: will just 2 stands be a help for basstrapping or do I need a complete attack-wall.....do they help at all ???

curious, thanx tom
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Don't know if you saw the American Recorder stands at GC? I've had a couple of pairs, they are actually pretty nice. 28", 36", 42" I believe. Two center steel tubes that can be filled, and black, rosewood, or maple wood cheeks. Includes spikes and pads.

http://americanrecorder.com/catalog/...roducts_id=155

I also have some Parts Express stands I like:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....er=0&sm=1&so=2

The 24" "medium mass" is what I'm using, they're all steel, cost around $65. Also can be filled, includes spikes.

Steve
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude
good question !!

I need a new pair, too...... and I also need some more basstraps....

anyone tried the ASC tubetrap-monitor stands ????
a bit pricey, but nice combination if they DO work as advertised... any firsthand experiences?
.... if so: will just 2 stands be a help for basstrapping or do I need a complete attack-wall.....do they help at all ???

curious, thanx tom
I've been thinking about the ASC stands as well. I've heard a variety of speakers in the Attack Wall and they all sounded incredible - better than stand alone.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Well, there are the quik lok stands.
I have the bs-300's.

They also look like cheap crap. And they are.
But seriously, they look fine. Black.
They are the only stands I could find that are slightly height-adjustable while not so ridiculously priced (90 euro, think thats about 110 dollars...)
I have been able to them set on +/- ear level (tweeters) (hr824's). otherwise you could lay a plank under it or something.

They are a bit shaky when you touch them, so if you have a studio with people around; don't buy them!

but when playing (sometimes loudly) they don't move.
Its a triangular based thing. that works o.k. but the, how should I say this, the tube that goes into the bigger tube (so its adjustable) sits just a tiny bit wobbly.

They're solid when monitoring. Under the 'triangle' are 3 little rubber pads you can replace with the included spikes you get with the bs300s so you don't have much resonance on the floor.

As you can see on the pic a Mackie 824 is just a bit big for this thing, but not too heavy ( it 'could' hold 2 mackies...)

Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

maybe you could enlarge the photo some more

EDIT: thanks, it was a lil hard to see on a 12" laptop
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

I have always found that good stands for fair money is at best a challenge.

I bit the bullitt and bought the Sound Anchors studio stands which are height adjustable. and the platform can be tilted so you can precisely aim the listening axis.
They weigh a ton. and made a huge difference in my system.
Mike Chafee
Old 5th August 2005
Adjustable height would be a very good feature as long as it could be accomplished without introducing a possible sympathetic vibration system at the point of adjustment. Good pads what probably help, there.

But having your monitors at the right height is obviously crucial.

I'll bet most of us adjust ourselves (our charis, IOW) for position. And that's not always ergonomic from other perspectives. If you're legs are dangling from your chair, you're inviting sciatica and maybe other ills, too.
Old 5th August 2005
AjD
Gear Addict

I had the same experience shopping for speaker stands - went to Guitar Center, surfed American Music Supply, etc. Everything seemed to be pretty much junk, or as garish as a leopard skin pillbox backpack.

My eventual solution? I went "off road" and bought some affordable audiophile speaker stands from a company called StudioTech. Model no. is the SP-36. They're 36" tall, black, and made out of heavy steel. Other heights are available, but I'm most comfortable with 3 feet tall.

I weighed them when I bought them, they were ten pounds each. Then I bought a bag of playground sand, and filled each one up to the top (there's a little fill hole, plus a rubber stopper). Now they clock in at 22 lbs. a piece. Also, I added some neoprene footies on the bottoms to further decouple them.

I'm very happy with these stands. My Mackie HR824s fit perfectly on the top base, and are very stable. Basically, they don't look gimmicky (like the Ultimates, in my opin), they are very substantial and heavy, and they work. Price was right too ($86 bux, free shipping). I think I got them from x10.com, but you can find them at various Web shops.

Adam (who has no affiliation with StudioTech or x10.com )

P.S. Some pro audio recording entreprenaur should market really awesome, solid & decoupled monitor stands; it's a product that doesn't really exist in our market space (recording engineers). I don't count the Ultimate and Raxxess sort of stuff - there's nothing awesome about those. I know it's not the sexiest of product categories, but if one small boutique company would just offer something killer, I think we'd all be grateful.
Old 5th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
AjD
Gear Addict

Those Sound Anchors look sweet (especially the H base ones).

Pricey though.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

used all sorts of stands, but wasn't prepared to shell out 150 euro or more for a pair.
finally decided to build a pair myself and i love them.
kost me 25 euro's for bothr , including paint, glue and screws.
mdf columns, plywood top.
did a refined version for a friend a few weeks back, they solid and carry an ADAM p22 with ease.
plus they look nice.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
maybe you could enlarge the photo some more

Why, whatever do you mean....

it's 680x854.....
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

i think thats exactly what he meant...
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye B
i think thats exactly what he meant...
Darnit! youre right

"Why, whatever do you mean....

it's 300x400....."

Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

There's a similar thread floating somewhere around here... In that one I had suggested Apollo Audio http://www.apollohifi.co.uk/ and Ironworks Audio Design http://www.execulink.com/%7Ejrb/speaker.html

The StudioTech stands & the Sound Anchors are also very good.

And *none* of these are cheap, at least compared to the stuff you find in a Guitar Center.
Old 5th August 2005
500 series nutjob

i am some what partial to concert blocks.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think he meant concrete blocks and I concur.

Grab 3-4 and stack em some Mo pads on top and bingo heavyweight stand...a little spray paint doesn't hurt.
You can play with the height by positioning the blocks either vertical or horizontal or a combo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search