The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drawmer 1968 or Distressor: Compressor Dilemma
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Drawmer 1968 or Distressor: Compressor Dilemma

Hi,

I need help as I feel a bit out of my depth to make a great decision.

I am based in Dublin and it is next to impossible to get to try out pro audio gear. I usually go by what I read in forums and hear from mp3s kindly posted by members.

I am looking to get a compressor to add to my studio. I mix ITB (ProTools LE) and have only ever owned a Joe Meek C2 which I sold years ago, however, I am not happy with the plugs Ive been using and would like to get a hardware compressor - one which could be described as a general all-rounder / workhorse kind, but might also allow me to inject a bit of character too, especially accross the final mix bus.

I use a Phoenix DRS-2 (pre amp) and TC Gold Channel (pre amp / ADDA) with Blue blueberry and Microtech gefell M940 mics. I mostly do electronic / dance music, but of late have been finding myself producing singer / songwriter's songs into full tunes - male and female.

I have read numerous reviews and threads about both the 1968 and the distressor. They both seem to be great compressors. Naturally, the 1968 is stereo, the distressor mono. Do you think I should get the 1968, or should I get the distressor and wait maybe 6 months until I can save for another?

Or do you recommend something completely different???

Thanks guys and girls,

Simon.
Dublin.
Old 4th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofine
g

Or do you recommend something completely different???

Thanks guys and girls,

Simon.
Dublin.

The old High End gearslut answer is needed here:

1) Get both

2) Get something else

3) Or my favorite get everything. heh
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ive been using and would like to get a hardware compressor - one which could be described as a general all-rounder / workhorse kind, but might also allow me to inject a bit of character too, especially accross the final mix bus.

I use a Phoenix DRS-2 (pre amp) and TC Gold Channel (pre amp / ADDA) with Blue blueberry and Microtech gefell M940 mics. I mostly do electronic / dance music, but of late have been finding myself producing singer / songwriter's songs into full tunes - male and female.
when you say "a bit" ... ?

what are your tracks sounding like now, and what do you want them to be that's different

what's your budget?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have to agree with you about plugin compressors.....they're only good for light work.
You could also try the Fatso. I have two Distressors, absolutely great tool, more than just a compressor.
Also look into the UA 2-1176.

Nick
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

i'd get the 1968 first and then add the distressor later. i just got a 1968 and i love tracking thru it. its easy to set up and sounds great, plus if you want to do stereo compression.... that being said, i love my distressor too
good luck,
joshua
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
- one which could be described as a general all-rounder
BOTH
Quote:
workhorse kind
BOTH
Quote:
bit of character
BOTH
Quote:
final mix bus.

I f you get your 1968 first you´ll have two channels. You can track kick n snare for example, make drum submixes and later place it on the 2 buss.

You should also consider the 1969, the compressor plus two preamps!

PUPO
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thrill,

Thanks for the induction! Yep, you're right, I think I'll go for point 3 and get everything. Now where did I leave my wallet....

Lucey,

Good soul-searching question. Damn, now I'm gonna have to think about it! Well, I suppose my sound to date has been a clean and compressed electronic sound. I really try and aim for a smooth Daft Punk / Air (to name a sound you possibly are aware of???) kind of compressed sound, however to date I have been attempting to achieve this mostly in software, though on occasion I have used a tube vitaliser for some warmth. I guess I am looking to get a fatter, more cohesive kind of compression on the mix buss, but also have a tool to creatively compress / shape sounds while tracking.

I don't plan to use leccy gts much through the compressor, but do fancy pumping my analogue synths, bass and acc gtr through it.

I like a farily transparent sound on vocalists I use. I use a guy and a gal for most of my vox, both of whom have a large dynamic range, so I am finding myself with a lot of work to do in the mix. I'd like to be able to tame this a bit on the way in to PTLE. If a bit of colour / warmth / je ne sais quoi is added, well, Im not to worried, if its too much I can always not use the compressor and track as before.

Nick,

UA 2-1176 too expensive for me. I had never really considered the Fatso and it does seem to kick ass, but it's also a bit out of my league. Hmmn, maybe I'll keep an eye out for a bargain.

Joshua,

Thanks man! That may be the route I end up taking. I am starting to get a few more decently paid jobs and prospects coming my way - this is after all a hobby for me at the mo, but you never know.......

Pupo, I already have enough preamps for the moment. Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks again folks,

Simon
Dublin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search