The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
APEX 460s as OH's
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

APEX 460s as OH's

i do live sound, production, for a living.
a VERY beat-music/60s raunchy rock'n'roll is what we go for each evening - hence all my other mics and pre's are vintage.
so i only mic the drumkit with 2 OH's and a kick.
and we normally play in 1500+ clubs/festivals.
that is why i would love to know more about how they sound as drum overheads (i usually compress the sh+t out of the OH's as well). i like a naturel, boombastic sound (but not LARGE ala typical-Bonham).
think early Who, Creation, Small Faces etc..
but i find these 460s very interesting (compared to the RFT M16 review i've seen).

thanks in advance.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

sorry... missed the point.

any samples of these would be great (preferably on OH's).
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

the 480's are much nicer to me, very similar to some DPA mics

david
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

opps i read AKG 460... sorry ignore post, unless youre looking for great overhead SDC's
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

AKG heh.. no sorry.
i need something semi-good and cheap, since our bassplayer is an animal (along with the drummer) so if they get kicked over, i need to get them replaced fast and cheap.

APEX 460
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Addict

Apex 460 is a one-trick pony, only really any good on certain vocals. I've never had any luck with it on anything else.

If you want some good and cheap overheads, look at MXL 603's. They're my first choice for rock drum overheads. They take compression and EQ very well - I'm usually able to get a better cymbal and hi-hat sound than many major releases.
You do need some good-sounding cymbals though. And forget about them being able to pickup toms with any decency. If you want toms in the overheads then stick to LDC's but don't choose the 460's!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search