The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New to the Forum, Quick Question
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

New to the Forum, Quick Question

Hey guys, I been reading posts on this forum for the past couple of days in hopes of finding some answers in my search for a new set of ad convertors and mic pre's.
I have found this site very informative. I own a small recording studio about 30 min south of Nashville in a small town called Spring Hill. I own a decent workstation and a 002r. I have been searching for days now and have come to the conclusion that it would be better for me to get a Rosetta AD and a Presonus M-80, than to go the route of a combo box like the Digimax or RME Octamic. It seems, not only will I have more flexiblity with this set up. But my sound quality will be considerably better. Am I correct in this conclusion? Although it is going to cost around 2500. or so for this set up. vs the cheaper Digimax 96. Is spending the extra cash worth it? Keep in mind I am far from being a rich man. (atleast as far as the american standerd of rich goes, I believe myself to be very blessed with what I have and as long as I have a roof over my head I consider myself rich, alittle philosphy for ya Thanks for all the help
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

(cartman voice) Oh, Uh, Hi Basevoid, Weclome to the forum. Nice to have another respectful, unsarcastic member. Yes it would make sense to use the M80 and the Rosetta, cuz the Digimax 96 sucks.(i don't really know if it sucks or not.... never used it) Hope all is well in the land of OZ.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi and welcome.

Just thought I'd mention: I read your post a couple of times, and it's a little confusing.

Best thing I can recommend is to spell out what you're gonna do (like record metal bands with two drummers, or choirs with harpsichords or Javanese Gamelans with pipe organs, or whatever.) That way we'll have a little bit better idea what your reqirements are.

Also, how many i's and o's you wanna have. Personally, I don't know any of the Presonus or Digimax stuff, so it's hard for me to comment on the 'vs' thing.

Also, it's easier to read back over the items you're considering if they're not in a big block of text. My eyes are pretty wacked at the end of the day.

We'll certainly be glad to make recommendations.

I have a Digi 002 and I have a Rosetta 800/96 to go in and out. I think they sound great. I know a lot of guys here like the Myteks, so might wanna check them out.

If you can get by with two channels of AD/DA, you can obviously get off the ground for a lot less money. Some peeps don't like the fact that the 002 / Rosetta 800 combination talks over the ADAT which limits sampling rate to 48kHz. Doesn't make a poop to me since I think the rosetta sounds great at 44.1/24. You can always go in/out the S/PDIF if you want a higher SR but you hafta limit in/out to two channels at a time.

Oh... did I mention: Welcome to the forum!
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

Hi and welcome.

I personally have used the Rosetta 800 vs. the Octopre with the A/D card. I know it's not the Digimax but these two are not even remotely in the same league as the Rosetta. If the Digimax quality is anything like the Octopre then avoid it like the plague! I think the convertors on it were right there with the Digi001 (blectthhh!).

I've recently acquired a Presonus M-80. It's the older model with Jensen transformers. I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. In my own little mic pre shoot out, I thought it was way better than the Focusrite Red and was dead even with my Manley (quality wise, not tonally) and that's saying a lot!

In my mind, convertors come first. Otherwise you can't really tell what the rest of it sounds like. My advice is don't skimp on them. There are lots of pre's that are great out there (even some less popular ones like the M80) that can be had for cheap. Stay away from the "Bleeding edge" and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Old 7th August 2005
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input. I bought a presonus M-80, with the optamps upgraded to burr browns. As it stands right now I'm going to check out the RME ADI 8 Pro for convertors. Anyone had experince with them? I need the eight extra channels to do full bands, and full production for songwriters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search