The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compression on distorded guitars ??
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Compression on distorded guitars ??

I often record guitars with an SM57 in front of the speaker, and an AKG C414 ULS a little further. I use a Mindprint Dual Tube Channel, and I like to EQ when recording (cut around 500 Hz, boost around 4 khz...depends on what I want to get). The bands want a powerful, big and large distorted guitar sound.

I tried to get the DTC's optical compression working on the SM57, I had good results but the sound was a little too agressive.

Do you guys, use compression when recording that kind of guitar sound ? If yes, on which mics do you apply it (condenser, dynamic, ribbons...) ?

I really get a great round, crunchy and warm guitar sound by using the DTC on that kind of guitars, but I was just wondering if any of you use compression. I'll soon post an exemple of the guitar sound I can achieve.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I like to use the joe meek twin q compression...but a little bit goes a long way
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Little bit of160 is cool sometimes.
Pretty rare though.
Even though it's distorted guitar, you still have some control over the attack and sustain of the sound.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Never. Get the tone dialed while tracking. Add comp later if needed.
m
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Even if it is tube compression ? (the DTC has tube comp)
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Dirt guitars I always record flat without eq or compression. In the mix, hardly ever any compression on the guitars and not much to no eq. With a lot of close miced instruments, some eq is necessary in my world, but with dirt guitars I find it that with the tone controls at the amp and mic placement, I can get exactly the sound I need.
I find that compression on dirt guitars hardly ever makes them bigger...

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Slipperman, where are ye?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I track flat also, then add whatever is needed. I generally don't comp dirty gtr's except on solos through the Distressor. EQ on mixdown to carve room for the bass.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
I track flat also, then add whatever is needed. I generally don't comp dirty gtr's except on solos through the Distressor. EQ on mixdown to carve room for the bass.
Yeah forgot that, some high-passing between 50-90hz with a 12db/octave filter is something I often do, just to let the bass and lowend of the guitars gell into one another.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Aren't dirt guitars by definition already smashed ?

Best

Vari-Mu
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

That's the reason it makes little sense to add more compression during tracking.
later,
m
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

95 % No tracking comp here..
maybe a taste off 1176 on quiet/loud stuff for peaks and flavor.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Neve 2264... simply one of the best compressors for anything in my world fullstop.period and guitars are no exception.

Distressors but i hear them on SO many things now a days it makes me bored. but they do make great comps for the 'chimey' clean gtr sound.

1176... like a good ex GF that you keep going back to here and there. She allways comes up with a bit of the 'good stuff' when you need it.

DBX 160X .. its a bit of a sleeper but they fuken rule on so many things. Sure they have that DBX sound but they ROCK and for Solo's they really make stuff 'poke' thru a dense mix.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 4th August 2005
Motown legend

One of the biggest problems with compression is dynamics inversion where the parts a musician intends to get bigger become smaller instead.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

I rarely track guitars with compression. I usually mix with a guitar parallel, usually the Joe Meek SC2.2. The parallel helps to add beef, but avoids the "dynamics inversion" that Bob mentioned.

Oh and its been at least two years since I've used an SM57 on a record. And that was the first time in probably two years.

Old 4th August 2005
I think compression on distortion rhythm guitar is a bad idea. It's already heavily compressed, and compression will only serve to choke the sound IME. I've heard some metal bands use compression though, but it's more of a specialized sound. Clean guitar is a different story too, it usually could require a bit of compression depending on the player.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I agree with Nathan 100%.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I often use compression on distorted guitars, but definitely not during tracking. I like the LA2A on guitars, and occasionally a Pendulum ES-8 if I can find one(man do I want one). I will eq during tracking, but nothing too serious. Usually just a hipass, but sometimes other stuff too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search