The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone tried out Sony Oxford reverb plug?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

Anyone tried out Sony Oxford reverb plug?

I'd like to hear your opinion re. quality comparability (density, smoothness) to high-end outboard reverbs: Lex PCM90, 480, TC Electronic 6000 etc.
Old 4th August 2005
I have it..

I havent used it on a session yet.. but it does sound very 'real'.

Very easy to understand user interface too..

I cant wait to take it for a spin.

I don't own any of the reverbs mentioned above, so cant comment.

Anyone else?

Jules
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I don't own any of the reverbs you mentioned, but do own the Sony Oxford Reverb...
and, I think it is really great. Quite realistic sounding, as Jules stated.

I've had good luck creating ambient spaces for drums with it. I've found that it works really well in the context of mixes... it doesn't stick out (which I think is a good thing for a reverb). I'm sure you could make it stand out more... but, I prefer reverbs that seem to blend with the source sounds.

The interface is easy to use, but still has enough parameters that you aren't stuck with stock sounds... and I like that they have the EQ built in to the plug (so I can darken my 'verbs).

thumbsup

Cheers,
Charles
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfjis View Post
I don't own any of the reverbs you mentioned, but do own the Sony Oxford Reverb...
and, I think it is really great. Quite realistic sounding, as Jules stated.

I've had good luck creating ambient spaces for drums with it. I've found that it works really well in the context of mixes... it doesn't stick out (which I think is a good thing for a reverb). I'm sure you could make it stand out more... but, I prefer reverbs that seem to blend with the source sounds.

The interface is easy to use, but still has enough parameters that you aren't stuck with stock sounds... and I like that they have the EQ built in to the plug (so I can darken my 'verbs).

thumbsup

Cheers,
Charles
Agree. The interface is a breeze. I have a fair bit of external hardware TC 4000, Eventide H3000, etc....

Oxford while not able to compare to a $3000 external unit does I admit offer some flexibility and the sounds are good. Quite fine.

It's worth they buy.

Cheers,

dfegad
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Can any one say how it fares against IK's CSR or how the plate alorhitm is compared to UAD's Plate 140? Always looking for another verb for the arsenal!
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

Demo'd the Sonnox reverb not long ago. Loved it, will probably pull the trigger on it. As previous poster said, blends right in - really lays in the mix nicely and is npt harsh or overbearing. Great presets, good on CPU and very tweakable.

Best of all, it sounds great - best ITB reverb I have heard - a step above Logic's Platimum verb for sure. I could easliy see this being my go-to verb.
Old 24th February 2008
Deleted 99dc753
The Sonnox reverb is one of the nicest reverb plug ins I know.
Can not beat with IK CSR.

For my ears right after the SONNOX reverb comes ArtsAcoustic | because sound matters
It is not that expensive like the SONNOX but a very very very good sounding reverb Plug In from good old Europe-->> Germany...
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
The Sonnox reverb is one of the nicest reverb plug ins I know.
Can not beat with IK CSR.

For my ears right after the SONNOX reverb comes ArtsAcoustic | because sound matters
It is not that expensive like the SONNOX but a very very very good sounding reverb Plug In from good old Europe-->> Germany...
I tried the Artcoustic. I thought it was extremely nice. But, I still preferred IK CSR over it. I really need to try this Sonnox. In terms of plugin reverbs, nothing I've ever touched has come close to the UA Plate 140, but it is a 1-trick pony. If you want something other than a classic plate sound, you wont get it. UA's Dream and Real verbs are OK, but they missed the mark a bit. I wish they'd put their skills behind some other great reverbs. Even if they were 1-tricksters, like the plate, that would be fine. I'd rather have 4 outstanding reverb plugs than 1 'great' 1 that does it all (CSR, in my case). But, truth be told, my $400 Lex outboard pretty much spanks any plugin. I think that has a lot to do with the signal path I use, though.

PS - I LOVE Germany. I've been there a few times and it is the only place I ever 'miss'. I studied German for 5 years in school and that made getting around a breeze. Plus, the people are great! We'll probably go for a 4th time this summer. There's just something about Germans and audio engineering too...hard to put my finger on it, but there is some pretty magic stuff that can only be conceived and built/made there!
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear
I've got the Oxford and had the UAD plate 140. They're different animals altogether but they're both some of the best plugin verbs I've heard. The Oxford is more versatile and the vast number of presets is really great for getting a quick & easy type sound. The UAD Plate 140 is a plate only type thing but it does it extremely well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search