The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Speakers and magnets
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Maniac

Speakers and magnets

I'm not a pure gearslut, so could someone tell me what those mag's wrapped around the back of the speaker cone do.

All I know is they seriously interfer with me old 15" moni.

It makes it old style gearslut green.

Anyway be cool to know as the weather is heatin up here in Blighty and quality BBQ speak is needed.

Laters
Old 22nd April 2003
member no 666

Those pesky magnets make the speaker work. Attached to the cone is a coil of wire. That coil of wire sits in a gap in the pesky magnet. As an alternating current [your audio] is introduced to the wire coil, the magnetic field is charged postively/negatively [alternatively]... this causes the coil to be attracted to, or repelled by the fixed magnet causing it to move to and fro. That movement, as the coil of wire is attached to the speakers cone, causes the cone to move with the wire coil.

This movement is what causes the speaker to emit sound.

With a dynamic microphone you have a similar arrangement... a diaphragm attached to a coil of wire that fits over a magnet structure. As the diaphragm moves due to variations in air pressure, the coil of wire moves through the magnetic field, and a current is induced into the wire as the wire makes and breaks the magnetic field.

This is why you can use a speaker as a microphone should the fancy strike you.
Old 22nd April 2003
member no 666

BTW, there are things called 'shielded monitors' [speakers]... these won't fuck with your computer monitor... or... you could move the speakers [or the monitor] so the speaker's magnetic field doesn't fuck with the computer monitor.

Just a thought.
Old 22nd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

The distortion you're seeing on your video monitor also causes some interference with the way your speakers want to operate because each device's magnetic field is being disturbed by the other. Imagine your speaker could show green spots or warping like you see onscreen. Not good. Placing your speakers 3 or more feet away from the screen will cure both ills. oops I mean 1 meter, bloke
Old 22nd April 2003
"Flat screen" monitors dont suffer from this problem.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
i.e. LCD & Plasma displays....
Old 22nd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I bet they still exhibit some magnetic field. When I get one, I'm still stickin' to the 3 foot rule.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear