The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie Question on Digital Signals.
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

Newbie Question on Digital Signals.

Once I have recorded the signal to harddisk. As hot as possible without clipping of course. Is it true that once its to tape it doesnt matter what level you set the output of that signal for it will sound the same, as long as the main outs are set to 0 gain?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

i'm afraid we may need a bit more information... if you turn the fader down, and leave the master at 0, then the digital signal doesn't sound any different, it's just softer (and therefore closer to the noise floor of your converters... but that's a whole other story.

can you tell us what exactly you're doing, and what problem you're having/or what you're not understanding?

--jon
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

When I recorded vocals, even though the signal to tape was strong, when I play it back in my current mix it is to low compared to the tracks I have already recorded and EQ'd, although the level seems to comparable to the rest of the mix its just not loud enough. So it seems my only choice is to back up the other instruments meter's, pump it up with gain enhancers, or layer them.

When I said 0 I meant the main left and right stereo out signal. I meant just at the level that it doesnt start to clip. I was just curious if I backed everything else down now that its already to disk to match the level of the vocals, will the mix sound the same or will it loose some of its edge.

Im really happy with the rest of the mix but I guess I have so much stuff going on the vocals are having a hard time keeping up with the rest of the mix.

I hope that helps, thanks for the quick reply. Trying to get this figured out late tonight, no work tomorrow.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

oh yeah... just back down the other elements and you'll be fine.

--jon
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

Thank you sir
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

don't call me sir... you're probably older than i am ;-)

or at the very least, we're pretty close in years.

--jon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search