The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
altec lansing 1566a
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

altec lansing 1566a

Hi... this is my first post... but i have been lurking in the background for ages!

i have just bought a altec 1566a valve mic pre. Does anyone know how to wire the connections to an xlr? it has 4 connections for the input and 6 for the output....
also, does anyone have any experience with them, do they sound any good?

thanks
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

i should also note that i don't have the transformers. i take it that i need these.. where can i get them and what should i pay?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

someone must be able to help me on this..... anyone?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Though I can't tell you how to hook up the cable...at least without seeing some photos or something, I can tell you that the transformer cans for most of the old Altec stuff seems to go for between $15-$20 on eBay. There are several out there, so make sure you get the right one/s for your unit...some are mic transformers, some are line, etc. Let us know how it sounds!
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Here's a link that tells something about the transformers for a 1566a...

http://www.vintageloop.com/altec1566A.html

They might even have some. I think they re-build them.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks mate,

I will chase this up....
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

You want the 4722 8 pin can for it. They are a little more pricey than the others and is green in color. Here is a link to one on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansig-472...QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these mic pres and they are interesting little animals. I hear they sound awesome on a snare or in conjunction with a bass if you want a bit of "growth" on it.

I can't remember how mine is wired up (not in front of me) but after looking at it for a few it became rather self evident on what to do.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

Altec 1566A

Here's the schematic. I have a **** load of Altec stuff. The easiest way is to make three or four inch long male and female XLR cables that simply hang off the back. Good luck.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/m...ALTEC1566A.pdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search