The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ultimate "glue" compressor on digital 2 bus
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Ultimate "glue" compressor on digital 2 bus

I'm looking for a stereo compressor that does the glue thing like no other. At the moment, I'm using no compressor on the mix bus and every time I get some mixes back from mastering, there is this glue (which is good!) that wasn't there first. This is something that is just not possible with plug ins, so forget the digital emulations.

So, share your succes stories heh . I'm especially interested in what people mixing digitally are using in a dirt guitar rock situation. I want to find 3 pieces or so to try. At the moment a C1, OLC-2 and API2500 seem like interesting options to try. Anything else? What about the Buzz stereo compressor?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
every time I get some mixes back from mastering, there is this glue (which is good!) that wasn't there first. ...So, share your succes stories heh . I'm especially interested in what people mixing digitally are using in a dirt guitar rock situation.
How about sharing *your* success story? Sounds like whatever your mastering engineers have been using does exactly what you want; did you ask them what they used to achieve it?

(besides "good ears & years of experience" obviously)
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

The Manley Vari-Mu is a one of the more obvious choices, along with the Alan Smart C2 of course
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

I tried the API 2500 for that exact scenario and it was nice.... I am still wanting to try the C2 or Vari MU as I'd like a point of comparisson.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Guru

The Drawmer '69 really glues things nicely. I got mine within the first 6 months or so that they were out. I've used it on about 95% of my mixes and I still love it. The mastering engineers I've used haven't needed to do much to my mixes, which I consider a good thing. If you don't need/want the pres or DI you can get a '68 for less. The '68 didn't exisit when I bought mine.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Depends on what I'm mixing

As far as 2 buss compression humm,
Let's see, they all do something different, depending on the style of music.
I am lucky enough to have a few here in my facility to pic from, they all have worked great at one time or another...

SSL Logic 384
Smart SC-2
Daking 91579 (Matched Stereo Pair)
The Manley Slam (with ADC /DAC)
Neve 33609C
Requisite L2m
ADL 670
But my favorites for that special GLUE you mentioned are without a doubt
The Manley Slam, SSL 384, and the ADL670

Paul
Millbrooksoundstudios.com
Old 3rd August 2005
OCL2 is nice, but IMO you can't beat the STC-8 for flexibility...
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

I like the Focusrite Red 3, Avalon 747, or Drawmer 1968. These days, I like to just hit the Focusrite really lightly, just to tighten everything up. Haven't had much experience with the STC-8, but it sounds like it could be awesome, too.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Guru

p38 is clean

L2M is heavy and tubey

STC-8 is 'sorta kinda' in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
If you don't need/want the pres or DI you can get a '68 for less. The '68 didn't exisit when I bought mine.
I like this '68 idea for rock guitar mixes. Dark, tubey and Fat.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I & some friends recently did a shootout between following 2-buss comps:

* C-2 - very straightforward "in your face " character. A sound which one definetly knows from radio "SSL" mixes. A winner, if you´re into it.

* Vari-mu - very gentleman like, elegant compression . Gives that silky glue factor. Sounds great in chain with the C-2 because the one has what the other lacks of....

* Pendulum Optical compressor: Very nice, warm character but still fast. This is the golden middle between the two before mentioned. Beautiful on drums!

* Cranesong STC-8: Our favourite....very, very fast, yet more transparent than the C-2 with BEAUTIFUL colour via that "Hara" switch engaged - definetly the most versatile of all our candidates.......and......errhh.....most expensive too.... heh

BTW these colours are actually the ones, I associate with those comps......sh...Jules.....where is silver for the C-2.....hmmm
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

the drawmer 1968 works extremely well in that application.
joshua
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I recently bought the Thermionic Culture Phoenix for exactley this reason.
I have an STC8 since 8 years now and it was my all time favourite for glue , but it is boring compared to the Phoenix. The Phoenix adds a sonic flavour to the sound that is very exciting, the STC is very clean.
I also tested a Gyratec GX 10, which was also very good, sounds more retro, it had softer and silkier highs and a bigger bass. Very warm and fat sound.
But I liked the tightness of the Phoenix better.
The API 2500 isn't such a good "gluer" but it's a very good punchmaker.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

the mentioned 69 is really very nice, not only for the master bus but for drum and guitar busses as well. what i really liked recently was an c2 in front of an 69, with both less compression, but instant smack and glue to the mix.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

check out a pair of EAR 660's. really glues the mix together, and adds that magic something to the bottom. i've owned a pair for 7 years and they've pretty much been hardwired to my master bus ever since.

fantastic compressors IMO.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

If you are looking for something cheap that acts as a nice glue for digital mixes, then the original Aphex Compellor is pretty good and can be had used for cheap.

Frost
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi
I recently bought the Thermionic Culture Phoenix for exactley this reason.
I have an STC8 since 8 years now and it was my all time favourite for glue , but it is boring compared to the Phoenix. The Phoenix adds a sonic flavour to the sound that is very exciting, the STC is very clean.
I also tested a Gyratec GX 10, which was also very good, sounds more retro, it had softer and silkier highs and a bigger bass. Very warm and fat sound.
But I liked the tightness of the Phoenix better.
The API 2500 isn't such a good "gluer" but it's a very good punchmaker.
I'll second that..
the Phoenix is my fav 2 buss comp these days...
great stuff.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've been using a Red3 of late, a newer model and diggin' it. Just sent it of to Tony Marrra at Thermal Relief to have the transformer mod done. I'll report in when I get the unit back .
TommyD
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

2 Mercury M66s would be very gluey. 2 EAR660s would be a little less dark. A TMC would be even less dark. All of these would add serious glue and would be excellent. Haven't heard the ADL670, but I hear great things. However, you might want to wait and see what Peter Reardon is building. His new Shadow Hills compressor (prototype) will be done this weekend. It will be drastically cheaper than the ones mentioned above, and the build quality top notch. I have one on order.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

GYRAF G10 all the way.

Gentle?, yes if you want to, but also brutal and everything in between , you just have to play with it and learn how to tweak these knobs.
A very very versatile beast IMO .
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
2 Mercury M66s would be very gluey. 2 EAR660s would be a little less dark. A TMC would be even less dark. All of these would add serious glue and would be excellent. Haven't heard the ADL670, but I hear great things. However, you might want to wait and see what Peter Reardon is building. His new Shadow Hills compressor (prototype) will be done this weekend. It will be drastically cheaper than the ones mentioned above, and the build quality top notch. I have one on order.
Yes,Yes, Yes!
And Tet ... I'm gonna start putting the new Aurora mixer through it's paces this weekend as well!
picking up the demo friday.

gonna be a fun week.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

i confess, i'm curious about that little rnla... it's so cute!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Roundbadge, Finally Bet you're psyched!!!
Old 4th August 2005
Inner Tube Audio stuff looks pretty 'sticky'

STC-8
SSL

Both in use here
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
Roundbadge, Finally Bet you're psyched!!!
Yep.Very!
Also got me a new dual DI today:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...499#post385499
Old 4th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Yep.Very!

Way cool RoundBadge!!! You have waited soooooooooo long I hope it is worth it in the end. If it is half as good as the wait was long you should be able to take over the world with the damn thing huh??

heh

Congrads....
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

I like the SSL or Neve 2254, or Neve 2264.

Also try out the Channelstrip plugin by Metric Halo. It costs you nothing to try it.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Way cool RoundBadge!!! You have waited soooooooooo long I hope it is worth it in the end. If it is half as good as the wait was long you should be able to take over the world with the damn thing huh??

heh

Congrads....
Thanks ...we'll see.
yeah ..a year and 15 days..[just looked at the purchase order from PAD]
Yikes ....I sure hope its good.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
I like this '68 idea for rock guitar mixes. Dark, tubey and Fat.

I know you've heard at least one whole record mixed into a '69!
Old 4th August 2005
Anybody here just don't like comps in general for two bus? I think the magic is all getting it right in the individual tracks, or at a minimum on stems/sub busses...
Old 4th August 2005
There is only one

digital 2buss? all those are analog pieces...

i like the pspvw of all plugins... multiband mode. took a while to REALLY learn but i like it a lot, it glues like super glue and has a wide range of character depending on how you set it. i loiked it a lot more than the SOC on 2buss [sorry tim, i did like the SOC on other things a LOT, especially on the way in] but when i mix digital i stay that way to final product now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search