The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass Distortion Pedal
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Bass Distortion Pedal

hey guyz, i need a good OD or Dist pedal mainly for live use, but it might get tapped in the studio aswell....i'm thinkin' about an MXR M-80 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/151110/ it seems pretty damn versital

i'm using a 5 string EB Stingray, through an Ampeg SVT3Pro, to a 6x10" ampeg cab...i like mid range crunch an dig the upper mid bite...whatcha think?
Old 3rd August 2005
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have no experience with it myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about the zvex wooly mammoth pedal.
You can check out the video on the site and see what you think.

http://www.zvex.com/mammoth.html

-dave
Old 3rd August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Its a little pricey but Mesa Boogie has a tube driver that sounds really good to my ears. I coant remember waht it is called though. I looks a lot like the Buddah Bass distortion pedal.

I use a Sans Amp GT2 guitar for my over drive, it sucks a little of the lows out but I just make those up on the amp.

Twonky
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My favourite is the Fulltone Bassdrive (fulltone.com).
I have one that's a custom unit..
in fact I think I sort of started the idea, when I contacted Mike Fuller there and asked him to modify a Fulldrive 2 (guitar overdrive) to be more bass friendly but to leave me a switch to go between guitar and bass modes.

Soon after that he started selling the BassDrive version.

It's a very cool distortion with total bypass when you don't want it.

next best, but also a cool pedal in its own right is the SansAmp Bass Driver DI... its upside is that it's also a good DI box that allows you to add some distortion and tone shaping to the DI signal.
in point of fact, I PERSONALLY only use it as a DI so that, even though I prefer them to use the mic'ed sound of my amp, the FOH sound guy who feels he MUST have a DI (even if it's as a back-up) has a signal that I know I can shape and make sound like my sound.
Lots of people use the effected output into the amp as well to get some distortion... but I don't prefer it for that.
It has both parallel (UNeffected) and effect out 1/4" outputs so you can choose what goes to the amp, while the effected signal goes out the XLR out.
There's a rack version as well, the RBI, which I don't find sounds QUITE as good, for some reason.

both are good choices.
By what you describe, I'd suggest the Fulltone for you.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The 2 wwittman listed are definitely good and preserve your dynamics in a nice way. To me bass dynamics are so important and anything that crushes them is unusable (I sold my woolley mammoth after using it for 1 day - and I LOVE zvex pedals).

If you can swing it, the Stephenson Stage Hog is the best ever for this, in a pedal form, because really, its just a tiny stompbox sized amp.

But I would say its all about using a nice big tube amp for this purpose. Any 50 watt plus tube amp can work, just crank it up and let her rip through a big cabinet.

mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll second....or third, the Bassdrive from Fulltone. Fulltone makes great pedals in general and the Bassdrive is just freakin' awesome. I was hanging around guitar stores in LA with a friend of mine looking for a great bass distortion. LA has a superlative selection of pedals at its many fine music stores, so we tried a huge array of stuff. The Bassdrive just has it...meaty, nasty distortion without anything annoying accompanying it. It can also be used as a simple boost pedal...in fact, my friend uses it as a boost on his upright in a Salsa band! It can also do Chris Squire/Geddy Lee SVT type distortions and would just kick ass in a metal band. I highly recommend it!!

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi!

Some pedals I've checked out and liked. I work at a store, so I get to try out all kinds of stuff.. sadly most of it low end...

Boss SD-1. Very cheap, eats some low end. Your basic average od.

Hughes & Kettner Warp. Über metal! Good bottom (with Sub on) and a lot of distortion.

Anything by SansAmp seems to work thumbsup . They're versatile, but cost a bit..

Aah... but what do I know, I like metal

Cheers,
Jussi
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hmmm i'll look into those....one feature i really like is the ability to blend the original signal with the effected.

thanks all!

wyd
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I highly recommend the Budda Phatbass. We use it with an Ampeg B-15 Portaflex miced up with an AKG D25 and it's just phenomenal. Even with that signal chain, the pedal really adds a lot to the tone.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MXR BassDI+

although I end up running my LINN DRUM through it most of the time.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The GK Diesel Dawg is awesome. New Product... Great sound. thumbsup
Old 15th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
what kind of music are you playing? personally i dont really like the sound of distorted bass. i play a 6 string dean with emg's through an swr, i just like the sound of bass.
Old 21st January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I play a ric 4003 and a Nash P through a SVT VR and an 8x10. In general I use a demeter compression and a fulltone bass drive when I want a good even not degrated bass dist. You have obviously spent some money on your rig. I think it is important to preserve your tone if that is what you are going for. But if you want synth like over the top FUZZ/GRIND nothing in my opinion beats the Wooly Mamoth by Zvex.
(That is if you have 300.00 smackers to drop on a one trick pony) I literally use it for one song. It is soooo grindy and fat there is no need for compression and, it will sustain for days.
I really like the EBS tube drive also but, playing through a SVT makes it slightly redundant.
Stay away from:
-EHX bass dist
-MXR blow torch (might as well be made by ZOOM)
Old 21st January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I was in a session once with an engineer that had a lot of different bass pedals and there was this Hughes And Kettner pedal that absolutely did what all the others were trying to; fat, corpulent, thick, you name it and it didn't get lost or intrude in the track. It seems it was named the dirty dawg, but I might be wrong, because I cant find anything about that query online.... It seems it was tube-based as well.

I wish I remembered because I'd actually forgot about it til I saw this topic and would love to find one.
Old 1st February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K ➑️
The GK Diesel Dawg is awesome. New Product... Great sound. thumbsup
Actually that's what I was trying to remember. Guess I should have read over the thread more thoroughly! ha
Old 1st February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ill throw this one out there. Its truly insane on the bass.....

The Sweet
πŸ“ Reply