The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A Vocal sounds like this?
Old 3rd August 2005
Here for the gear

A Vocal sounds like this?

Hi everyone.
First up, sorry if I'm in the wrong forum, first post! (EDIT: wrong forum: And HOW!)

I'm tracking a band kind of in the style of the Mars Volta, but a lot more straight up song based.

The vocal sound Im trying achieve is one that I heard on a recording by Chris Sheldon (Therapy?/Biffy Clyro etc)
It pretty much sounds like the vocal is real thick & coming from everywhere all at the same time, while still sounding really natural.

I sometimes attempt 'thickening' with things like DPP/short delays etc but they aren't what Im after, I've exhausted reverbs aswell, I can get good results, but not quite this sound.
Im now thinking about mic techniques & different methods of processing.
Anyone got any ideas?

I am working in Pro Tools Mix+. I have Neumann U87, 147 (sometimes I like Sennheiser MKH50 on vocals too) along with all the usual dynamic mics you'd expect.
On the way in I have: Avalon 737 & Distressor.

We use a very dead booth here, should I track somewhere different?
Take me through everything if you can, from mics/placement/pre-amping/fx

Thanks alot!
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

This is just like another thread here......

Vocal recording is never easy; unless you have a Frank Sinatra clone in the studio.

Your U87 with a decent mic pre will do fine.... but please throw away that distressor, and don't even think about any form of software compression!

That effect you are trying to achieve is from good acoustics and good mic technique as much as anything...... work the mic good and close, and compress at a low ratio (say 1.5 to 1) as you record.... enough so that you can just hear the compression.
You should end up with a fairly thick sounding, dry but heavy voice sound. in the mix compress it again and brighten it with an enhancer, then it's a question of how big do you want to make it; optical overal compression should be the answer.

Ted Fletcher
www.tfpro.com

Blessed with fine highs and amazing bass
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF
but please throw away that distressor
That's funny, I threw away my SC4. The Distressor is a freakin' masterpiece.

Z
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

Hey Hunter.... I was only winding up the designer! We were on a panel together at this year's TapeOpCon.
The Distressor is a useful piece if kit.... But I wouldn't use it raw on a vocal.
Where did you throw the SC4?

Ted
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
That's funny, I threw away my SC4. The Distressor is a freakin' masterpiece.

Z
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search