Use anybody ADK A-48 ?

Can you tell some opinions ? PLS
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

They are absolutely terrible.

stay away.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Head
I had one for a few days.it was a fizzy nightmare!
A friend bought round a rode NTK and that was much smother! So i sent the ADK back.However I do have a David Royer modded ADK mic that I really like.They sell it as a mojave ma200.I would try one of those.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Head

UFF
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by borau
They are absolutely terrible.

stay away.
What's happened to all your post, Borau?

ruudman
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore
Use anybody ADK A-48 ?

Can you tell some opinions ? PLS
Sure, I've owned one for a couple of years. Very nice for airy female vocals -- still gets some solid chest tones, very open sound if used in the wider patterns. I typically use it one or two clicks back from full omni.

A48 doesn't have much low end boost, so you can really crowd it and not get proximity problems. On male vocals it can be a little weak if you are wanting a big bass. But it's very good for BGV and harmony parts, a nice clean sound.

It's a colored mic no doubt, but very useful for many things. I've kept it while many others went on their way, just a really good match for many alto/soprano voices I work with.

Now I don't know that this applies to the A-48, but from what I've seen ADK has a history of continuously modifying some of their mics at random, with no firm tracking of rev levels. So, my mic may have one sound and the next one different. Not knocking the company, I like and respect those guys, but I disagree with making so many different versions of the same mic, and using the same part numbers. IMHO. Test the actual one you are considering buying, you might find a winner.

Steve
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

THX a lot Squeegybug !

HM I dont have MIC .... so I thougt about A-48 like my MIC for rec my album (my sing) .
Which MIC are you using for male vocal ?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore
Which MIC are you using for male vocal ?
I've been through a few, my main male vox mics are usually Shure SM7b and AEA R84. Occasionally RE20 and SM57. Any of these are worth having around, can be very useful on many things IMO.

I also did like a particular ADK TT mic on some male vocals, but again those are one of the models that has varied a little I believe, so you might have to chase it some. Who knows, depending on your voice you might like the A-48.

But the SM7b is almost always good, a very robust mic.

Steve
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

THX a lot Squeegybug !
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Somebody advised me some of AKG 414 MICs like good a chose for male vocal , ... I listened some MP3 from "Listening Session" (recorded via 414) and compare them with some MP3 recorded via A-48 .
(I know - there are big differences in singer , room , preamp ......)
But I heard realy strong difference in low-mid and bass .
My question will be little stupid :

What is better ? A-48 or 414 (for male vocal) ? ... 414 seems to has a lot of bass .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search