The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to buy? Ensoniq DP/4+ or Eventide H3000
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Maniac

What to buy? Ensoniq DP/4+ or Eventide H3000

hi,

i wanted to buy the DP/4+ as my first piece of outboard-gear. it is going for ca. 600 euros on ebay. then i noticed the H3000 is going for ca. 750 euros. should i spend a little more and get the H3000? 4 indiv. fx at he same time is not so important to me, it's more the quality, flexibility and creative possibility of fx. also, is the noise reduction on the DP/4+ worth the extra cost (ca. 250 euros) to the DP/4?

please give me your opinions.

thanks.

p.s. i do house/electro/hiphop and like 80's sound.stike
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Nut

While the DP/4+ is quite useful, I`d go for the Eventide, it`s a classic......
(And I already have a DP/4+)

Amund
Old 21st April 2003
Re: What to buy? Ensoniq DP/4+ or Eventide H3000

Quote:
Originally posted by Silas Holmes
hi,

i wanted to buy the DP/4+ as my first piece of outboard-gear. it is going for ca. 600 euros on ebay. then i noticed the H3000 is going for ca. 750 euros. should i spend a little more and get the H3000? 4 indiv. fx at he same time is not so important to me, it's more the quality, flexibility and creative possibility of fx. also, is the noise reduction on the DP/4+ worth the extra cost (ca. 250 euros) to the DP/4?

please give me your opinions.

thanks.

p.s. i do house/electro/hiphop and like 80's sound.stike
650 for the DP4+ seems a little steep.

There were something like 3-4 different versions of the H3000. Find out which one?

If you want flexibility and sound, than look around for a Roland R880(hopefully with the remote).

The DP4+ while a cool unit, doesn't do the meat and potatoes too well(reverbs). Its a specialty box.

The problem with the H3000 was that you couldn't setup your own effect blocks. The one's that they did give you were useful as hell(even though the reverb wan't the greatest).

The R880 was Rolands flagship at the time(they built it to compete with the 480L). You can setup your own effect blocks and the reverbs are real good. These days they go for under $1K.

If you think you want Eventide, than look around for a used DSP4000.
Old 21st April 2003
Another vote for Eventide.
You'd have to rely on Thrill's better knowledge of the 3000 as I've never used it. I DO own a DP4 and can't say I'm blown away with it. Also, there was an absolute ton of DP4's going on Ebay recently, so DON'T pay too much.
People moving up to the Kurzweil KSP do you think???
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

I've owned both. Without having to pause to think...

H3000!

They're not even in the same league.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Guru

Get the Eventide. It's a very useful unit!
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

So the choice is clear.

Thanks a lot for your help.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear