The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
question about vocal recording chain?
Old 3rd August 2005
question about vocal recording chain?

im looking to get my first high quality character preamp but i am not sure whether or not this is the right decision for me. im kinda making the transition from mid-level to higher end project studio and have gotten ride of all my lower end preamps joemeek, presonus etc. to purchase a RME fireface. therefore my interface and converters are ready to rock. the onboard pres are nice for most stuff since i work alot with samples and vsti instruments but my vocals are def not gona shine on those pres. My eyes are set on the Great River ME-1NV since it is somewhat versitle for my setup. The only problem is im a college student and dont have the money to upgrade everything so im basically stuck with my Studio Project C1 microphone. Will this mic sound good on this great preamp or is it not worth the money. I have a $1000 to play with but i really dont want to mess with any more mid-level setups anymore. let me know thanks.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Mics trump pre's in the recording chain IMO. The GR will make the SP sound slightly better, but a great mic would have improved you chain much more with your old pres...(IMO)
Old 3rd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Mics trump pre's in the recording chain IMO. The GR will make the SP sound slightly better, but a great mic would have improved you chain much more with your old pres...(IMO)
Agreed. Also, is there any place nearby you can demo mics? That really would be the ultimate, provided the C1 isn't what your voice in particular needs (I'm assuming that's what you're saying).

War
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

Completely disagree. I'll take a hot mic pre and average mic over a hot mic and average pre any day.

A friend of mine is just getting off the ground with his little studio setup which he mainly uses for writing. He has a C1 but a Tascam USB interface with crappy stock standard pres. He wanted a singer I work with to record some basic so I took my Sebatron VMP2000e with me and we got some stuff down (we also recorded straight into the Tascam as a test).

He gave me a rough mix on minidisc the other day and basically everything is mud except the vocals which cut through like... well like something huge and clear that cuts through something dull and lifeless (sorry I'm too tired to come up with a good metaphor). By contrast, the vocals recorded on the same mic into the crappy pres were lost in the mud. Words can't describe the difference, you have to hear it. It's like magic. You can spend years sutdying the hows and whys but just try it out. When it comes to the mix it's night and day.

Matt
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_tricks
I'll take a hot mic pre and average mic over a hot mic and average pre any day.

A friend of mine is just getting off the ground with his little studio setup which he mainly uses for writing. He has a C1 but a Tascam USB interface with crappy stock standard pres.

well, but... a crappy pre is not an average pre, is it? hell if i know, i'm done with that kind of gear!

contramark, if you have $1000 you can get a pre you'll never need to upgrade, like the great river, or a tab or a phoenix. you could also get a mic that you wouldn't need to upgrade for a seriously long time, like a peluso. but i'm with the previous poster, the badass pre is the way to go. i had to run a u99 thru a tascam pre once and it sounded like ass, total unmitigated ass.

57 -> great river will sound respectable. u99 -> tascam was not respectable.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

It was not a good move getting rid of your old pres! Particularly if the Joemeek was one of the early transformer input VC1s.

The essentials for good vocal recording are
1) a good singer
2) a good mic technique
3)a good acoustic environment
4) a good compressor (not those horrible software plugs)
5) a fine preamp (and basically you get what you pay for)
6) a good large diameter capacitor mic, and the C1 is OK if it's driven into a transformer input mic pre; otherwise it will tend to sound just a little thin and hard.
If any of those factors is a compromise, then the final recording will be a compromise.

Recording the voice is certainly the toughest job in a studio, and even if you have it all right, it still takes practice and skill.
Old 3rd August 2005
thanks for the responses. to make something clear im actually happy and comfortable with the sound of the C1, its not that it poses a problem(although i havent really had the chance to try out a u47 or other high end mics). i had some good results though the joe meek MQ3 preamp, and liked the MP-20 even better. The joemeek would get way too muddy sounding sometimes, usually not for vox but like accoutic guitars etc. The MP-20 would give me a neutral sound that I could dial in some warmth if i wanted (psp vintage warmer, my uad card). So i am thinking the great river preamp is the way to go.

---this might not be the best analogy but its kinda like saying id rather have a JCM 900 going into a valestate cab than a valvestate head going into a JCM 900 cab. (better amplifier in the chain would seem to win out).
Old 3rd August 2005
o yeh i also forgot to mention that i own a SM-57 which could be another mic to run through the GR.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search