The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The ULN-8 is here!
Old 28th April 2011 | Show parent
OMG, the null police. What'd I tell you? There is no objective knowledge. Music is about art. That's the only point of view I bring to it. My subjective viewpoint. I don't know how I have to say this. I'm not trying to get you to agree with me or disagree with me. Not at all. But please, please, please allow me the right, without bullying, to see the world the way I see the world, whether this agrees or disagrees with yours. And how dare you equate birthers in thisi!!!
Old 29th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

It is not in my power to allow or disallow any of your opinions. The only "police" here are your own doubts. OMG, indeed.

I just think that by rejecting science, you open yourself up to chasing phantom problems around the control room, and seeking out (and paying for) improvements that are purely illusory, rather than substantial. These things ultimately will impede, and in my view very likely have already impeded, your efforts to make great art.

Agree to disagree. Music is art, but engineering is about both art and science.

JSL
Old 1st May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Music is art, but engineering is about both art and science.
Quote:
But I suspect eventually we MAY possibly find more is involved than can be discerned in the exact copies of 0s and 1. Crazy I know. But I suspect those numbers will eventually prove to be course and rounded.
OMG because i agree with both of you, I feel art and science are the same thing, especially in a language like music... concept to canvas, art and science play intertwined roles and both should be encouraged in every circumstance...

And henrys comment is like Of course you are right, context is the elephant in the room when it comes to art, art is a relationship how you hear it is is as important is how you are making it.... and considering the environment adn the "other 1's adn 0's that emerge alongside the 1's and 0's that is in the magnifying glass" is also a very big part... nulling is a right and your ears, brain and experience is what you know...
Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Can the ULN-8 be preset for summing so then I can mix through it without a Mac connected? Or does the MIO always need to be attached. Sure would be a top option for a summing box, especially using it's character.
I'd like to use it standalone to sum 8 channels through it's D/A converter to stereo analog mix buss.
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah you can do that with a boot state.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Yeah you can do that with a boot state.
Thank you. Tough to find that info ahead of purchase.
Very much appreciated.
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Although some people have reported issues with bootstates so it's not recommended practice right now. I have had no troubles though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Although some people have reported issues with bootstates so it's not recommended practice right now. I have had no troubles though.
Thanks again for the *****slut' advice. Need a dealer with a storefront that will sit down and set it up properly, or I will fly to the Metric Halo office for install.
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Again, I'm fine with it. Just giving you all the information beforehand. It's most likely going to work.
Lives for gear

Surflounge,

Get in touch with support; we can help you determine how to set things up and ensure that they work right. If you will not have a Mac at all, but know what you want, we can set things up for you before the unit ships.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Surflounge,

Get in touch with support; we can help you determine how to set things up and ensure that they work right. If you will not have a Mac at all, but know what you want, we can set things up for you before the unit ships.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
Amazing awesome service. Thank you. I will be in touch for confirmation. Keep up the great work.
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Just out of curiosity, why is it so important not to have a computer attached? You must be mixing in some digital environment or another. Is it a Windows DAW or a digital console or what?

I think it's great that they're going to help you make it work, but you're still giving up the ability to flip the Character settings during the mix process, as far as I know.

An entry-level MacBook + ULN-8 is not much more expensive than just the ULN-8!

JSL
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Just out of curiosity, why is it so important not to have a computer attached?
JSL
Doing offstage recording with rack gear, I cannot confuse the situation with laptops/computers. Having ULN-8's preset boot state be configured is all I need. To buy and use the ULN-8 as an analog box needs having it installed that way. Hopefully won't be a programming nightmare, if feasible anyway. Doesn't matter if it has more capability. Just need to get the job done well and fast without dealing with computers off stage. I record with digital mics (Soundfield DFS-1) and want to use the ULN-8's converters and summing instead of separate gear. Nice simple light rack for transport, instead of thick heavy hot analog boxes (always an option). Plenty of computers and equipment for post production back in the studio. Just need to capture performances without any computer attached.

P.S. Also... can a AES-42 Digital Microphone plug directly into it?
Old 17th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Curious to get some thoughts - I am running a ULN8 with the Mamba breakout box connected via db25s. I find myself needing to run a 75' snake now and could either (i) get a snake with xlr connectors, plug those into the Mamba, which hits the uln8 via db25s _or_ (ii) get a 75' snake with a db25 end, and plug that directly into the uln8, bypassing the Mamba. Leaving the Mamba in place and plugging the snake into it is more convenient for sure, provided that there is no issue with the slightly longer signal path. This is probably one of those 'hardly going to matter' decisions, but worth checking before ordering, and thanks for any advice..........
Old 17th August 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhudson View Post
Curious to get some thoughts - I am running a ULN8 with the Mamba breakout box connected via db25s. I find myself needing to run a 75' snake now and could either (i) get a snake with xlr connectors, plug those into the Mamba, which hits the uln8 via db25s _or_ (ii) get a 75' snake with a db25 end, and plug that directly into the uln8, bypassing the Mamba. Leaving the Mamba in place and plugging the snake into it is more convenient for sure, provided that there is no issue with the slightly longer signal path. This is probably one of those 'hardly going to matter' decisions, but worth checking before ordering, and thanks for any advice..........
I'd go with the XLRs. It allows flexibility that you might need on location if you want to patch things in a different order from the PA, etc. Also, the db25 connectors don't seem like connectors that are designed for a lot of patching and unpatching.

Just my 02c.
Edwin
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

What the dude said.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

I remember someone commented to me that he had never seen a MH ULN8 in a pro recording studio. Here's some info where the ULN8 has been used on 7 projects currently having Grammy nominations. Damn this unit sounds good!

High-Fidelity Record Label, Sono Luminus, Garners Seven Grammy Nominations – All Recorded And Mixed With Metric Halo’s ULN-8
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Head
Windows capable? If not some other company will get my money.
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

The 3D expansion card will be out probably some time this year and give the ULN-8 Windows support.
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Head
The ULN-8 may be a replacement for my ISA 428 converters, used mainly on drums. Waiting... :-)
Old 31st March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
I remember someone commented to me that he had never seen a MH ULN8 in a pro recording studio. Here's some info where the ULN8 has been used on 7 projects currently having Grammy nominations. Damn this unit sounds good!

High-Fidelity Record Label, Sono Luminus, Garners Seven Grammy Nominations – All Recorded And Mixed With Metric Halo’s ULN-8
Nonsense.

ULN8 has a very transparent sound. The mic pres are as clean as It gets.
I use character lately, on the Transformer option, to track almost everything and I did some tests clean vs transformer on drums, the change quite subtle but desirable. I'll do some more tests on Softsat which is the most audible character.

One thing though...the GUI on the MIO mixer is almost unreadable on my 30" screen. Very very small fonts. I think the MIO interface needs a total re-make, or at least an option to make everything bigger.
📝 Reply