The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Brauner Phantom C vs Neumann TLM103, sound-clips within...
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Brauner Phantom C vs Neumann TLM103, sound-clips within...

Hey!

I have seen a few posts recently asking for information on the Brauner Phantom C compared to the Neumann TLM 103.

Well, I just got my hands on a Phantom C (AE) and thought I'd do a mini comparison. I realise the Phantom is aimed towards vocals (and I mainly got it for a female vox session I have coming up next week) but thought it'd be interesting to compare both mic's on steel string guitar.

As you'll see from the photo (sorry it's a bit blurred, but you get the idea), I tried to get the capsules as close together as possible. I recorded the guitar a little further back than I usually would to try and minimise any discrepancies due to distance between the mic's.

Unfortunately my Millennia HV3 is knackered at the moment, so I used a Sytek (probably more appropriate anyway, given the price of these mic's). Gain was set the same on both mic's. The Brauner's output was quite a bit hotter (about 4.5dB), so I've compensated for that after the recording and matched the levels as much as possible in my DAW (Samplitude).

So - what you have is 4 different clips (all 48KHz/24bit), all of the same performance, played on a Lowden 0-10 with worn in strings, recorded in my personal studio.

The first two are completely dry - straight from mic's -> Sytek -> Lavry -> LynxAES16 -> Samp.

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/misc/...HANTOM_tlm.wav

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/misc/...OM_phantom.wav

These second two are the same clips, but with a bit of LF roll-off, a slight mid dip (to get rid of the boxiness) and a bit of air added. I think it's always interesting to see how mic's can take additive HF EQ.

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/misc/...NTOM_tlmEQ.wav

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/misc/..._phantomEQ.wav

Hopefully some of you will find this post useful - let's hear you opinions!

Cheers,

Douglas.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot for the insight ! Very interesting. Would be nice however to have a comparison based on vocaltracks. Do you think you could arrange that ?

Anyway, IMO the Brauner has a more balanced freq response - more open sounding highs and "realistic" even bass. The Neumann sounds somewhat smaller, transient response isn´t quite as impulsive and it has a sort of murky quality in the lower mids. Sounds pretty much like my TLM 103

Cheers,
Bill
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
Would be nice however to have a comparison based on vocaltracks. Do you think you could arrange that ?
As I mentioned, I've got a female vox session coming up next week. If I still have the TLM by then, I'll see what I can do.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

The Phantom killed the tlm as far as details are involved wich comes as no surprise to me. Same hyped trebles, but much more definition for the brauner that seemed less artificial to my ears.

listening thru headphone now, so ...
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalstudio
As I mentioned, I've got a female vox session coming up next week. If I still have the TLM by then, I'll see what I can do.
I could p.m. you mine heh

Bill

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search