The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking
Old 2nd August 2005
Here for the gear

Looking

I have a lot of equipment but still looking for a few things...one being a few (3-5) older Atlas booms with the "ball" type counterweight with the thumb screw to adjust. I had 6 of them at one time but someone thought I didn't need them any longer and grabbed them from out of my truck as I was loading up after a gig. I know they're not made any longer, at least I doubt it, but I'm still looking. Does anyone have any or know where I might pick a few up without losing and arm and a leg? Maybe if Atlas gets enough requests they'll start making them again. I bought the ones I had back in the mid 1970's and they weren't too expensive back then...at least I didn't think so as I was working 7-8 shows a week. I know the trend is towards making things lighter and the Atlas stands and booms were a bit heavier than the stands being sold today but the quality isn't there like it was in "the good old days"! For a lot of applications, light isn't always better. I have had a couple of expensive mics hit the stage at outdoor gigs when the wind kicks up. I HATE seeing or hearing that and that's not as apt to happen with the heavier Atlas stand and booms. Besides, the weight on the boom, kept it in place and everyone knows how frustrating it can be when you pull your trusty stands out only to find that someone has cross threaded the boom making the stand about useless. Atlas had a wonderful idea using a non-threaded adaptor on their booms.

Well, enough about why I am looking, I would like any help I can get. I have quite a collection of GOOD mics and would like to keep it that way.

I'm a bit of a collector, as I've been told by many, I have G.A.S. = GEAR ACUASITION SYNDROM and have many a lot of my equipment dating back to the 1960's and 1970's and enjoying talking about it.

Thanks for any help.

BeachBum
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Guru

They're not cheap , but the Latch Lake Mic King is really cool.
Old 2nd August 2005
Here for the gear

Hey Tony,
Thanks for the help. You're right, they are a bit pricey but great stands! I have used them and what a dream to use. However, if I got enough stands to cover what I wanted, let's just say it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend. Any other ideas or know where I can find the old Atlas type of stand?

Again Tony, thanks for the answer.

Don

PS By the way, nice looking studio. I've been in my share of dark and dingy ones. I like how bright it is. Working at one a few years ago in the Midwest, it was so dark I couldn't read the charts! I asked for a light and I was supplied with an old lamp on a stand with no shade. When it was turned on the bulb blew up! A far cry from yours...the check I got did clear, though.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Guru

Thanks for looking!

The funny thing is that the studio is never that bright when I'm working. I've got a bunch of lamps and make it much groovier. I use the bright lights for cleaning and maintenance.

Old 2nd August 2005
Here for the gear

No problem. I always like checking out what a studio feels like when I look at it. Some don't give a feeling of being welcome or should I saw, I've seen my share of closets if you get my drift. The first on I recorded in was in 1973 I believe and was off of a barn! There were two cats and lots of mice. I could never understand a couple of things about that picture. 1) how come the mice didn't chew through a cable or two 2) what's up with the cats?
The rough mix was about as rough as the studio and the final was about the same! Thank GOD I wasn't paying for the time. I remember (maybe not quite so well) there was a thunderstorm going on at the time we were wrapping it up on the last take of the project and the lights dimmed. I was waiting for the place to get hit and could actually hear the claps of thunder in my cans! I couldn't wait to leave. But hey, that was 30 something years ago and it makes gave me an education in what's out there.
I mainly do live sound right now and have enjoyed picking up things as I go. About 20 years ago I got rid of my PA gear as I was always working with people that had what we needed, and I could always find other uses for the cash. About 2 years ago, I got tired of working in bands that had some jerk that owned the PA and having to deal with his attitude. Now, I have my own and am always building up to what I have wanted to own. It's getting there and a lot more than I want to carry to each gig. I do sometimes and have a 6x12 enclosed trailer to carry it. I just hate to load and unload it twice in the same day. I am looking for another trailer that will slide right into my garage, unhook, and close the door.
If you have a moment I have a question. I used to own about 4 EV PL76 mics along with 3 PL77's. I remember I used to love how they sounded on vocals and acoustic instruments. I have seen a few of the PL77b's on Ebay and was wondering if there was something out there that was as efficient as those were. The sound was quite transparent and worked well with the rooms we worked. I have my share of SM57-8's along with a few others that work well for cabinets. Any ideas on where I could find a few of those and/or what mics would be a good replacement?
Thanks in advance for any help Tony.
Sincerely,
Don

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search