The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The BeeGees
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

The BeeGees

Tracks like 'How Deep Is Your Love', 'Don't Throw It All Away'. 'More Than a Woman' and 'Too Much Heaven'. sound absolutely creamy; also diggin' 'Jive Talkin'', 'Night Fever' and 'Stayin' Alive'.

I'm fairly familiar with the early BeeGees catalog, but this later stuff is what I'm interested in learning about. I read that the transition from the 'early' sound to the 'mid-to-late-Seventies' sound was partially inspired by Al Green, which makes sense (super big Al Green fan here, but that's another story!)

I'm pulling out my favorite 'sounding' music since I've got new monitors this week (ATC 20's) and I want to aquaint myself with them as much as I can before I have to track something that counts. So far the Carpenters and the BeeGees have been in HEAVY rotation!

Later we'll get the 7 Seconds and J.F.A. records out.

Even if you just have an observation about the BeeGees, I wanna know! Also: suggest music with similar sonic qualities!
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

i love the bee gees from that period - if you search the mix archives - there was a
great article - i don't remember when..................
i remember reading that there was one tape loop that figured
into at least four of the songs from that time period....

- the record barry gibb did with barbara streisand
is the only record of hers that i can listen too.....

i don't know much about the carpenters - i do remember about two years ago when
i bought the bacharach box set, listening to close to you perhaps 20 times in
a row - the back - ups are so well done............amazing

have you ever heard bobby wommack's version of that song ?

be well

- jack
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom

Similarly, the Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers song 'Islands In The Stream' is one of the only Kenny Rogers songs I can take.

OK, there's 'Somethin's Burnin''

Dolly, on the other hand, has some amazing moments; Dolly's (and the original version) of 'I Will Always Love You' is absolutely incredible. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it. Superb vocal performance. I hope she made a fortune when Whitney Covered it.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Dolly, on the other hand, has some amazing moments
the track dolly does w/ norah jones on norah's latest album was great, too--both sonically and performance-wise. i didn't like the sound of that one as much as "come away with me", but i think she's another wonderful artist that you could check out on the new monitors.

--jon
Old 2nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Similarly, the Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers song 'Islands In The Stream' is one of the only Kenny Rogers songs I can take.
I gotta give it up for "The Gambler" only because my dad played that song so much when I was a kid! (born in '71 here)

War
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I gotta give it up for "The Gambler" only because my dad played that song so much when I was a kid! (born in '71 here)
Okay, raise your hand if you know where the throat clearing is in that song.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was Don Gehmen, was it not? Man, that dude's done some great ****.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

I saw a documentary on TV on the Bee Gees. It showed them in the studio recording "How Deep Is Your Love". The mic They were using...... That nasty old love to bash it- U87.
Will there ever be another non-tube mic to compare with it. I doubt it.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

loops

Quote:
i remember reading that there was one tape loop that figured
into at least four of the songs from that time period....
the tape loop that i've read about in various periodicals is the drum loop from *night fever* being the groove for *stayin' alive*. if you listen to stayin' alive you will notice that there are no drum fills, only timbale fills which (along with the crash cymbal hits) can easily be overdubbed. while this doesn't prove anything, it (along with the loop-ish quality of the drumming) lends some weight to this *loop* theory.
-J
Old 2nd August 2005
Motown legend

The Bee Gees track "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" from the album Trafalgar has been an all time monitor reference for me since it first came out. Between it and "Honky Tonk Woman" I can generally tell if the monitors are happening or not.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Wow. I'm actually more interested in the fact that you cited JFA. Not many people know who they are. I am friends with these guys. Had Mike Sversvold (Bam Bam) in my band for awhile. Completely solid player too. I wonder what they are up to. . .playing reunion shows in San Diego last I saw them.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

the warm creamy sound of MCI
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

"how can you mend a broken heart" is such a great song.............
that pause.................

- jack
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I am more of a fan of the pre RSO BeeGees.

To Love Somebody is briiliant piece of work and I shall never forgive Michael Bolton for squeezing it like some ****ing turnip.

YMMV
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi. Yep The BeeGees are a favourate hear....oops...here. There was a thread on the recording chain they used for vocals up here a couple of years ago....Renie (BTW r u still here Renie?) made the best joke. There was a lot of chat about which mic, which pre's etc. Renie posted that she thought the chain they used was gold and was worn around their necks.Heh heh.
I also think they got a pretty good sound on the later album "One".
Great songwriters. I mean who else can span British Pop Hits, Country and Western Hits, and Disco Hits?
And the guitar solo in You Should Be Dancing is surprisingly....well..heavy actually.
Kind Regards
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I missed this link when I was searching before; it's got some great stories of the Brothers Gibb living hard times in Australia; check the links at the bottom of the page for more good reading.

http://www.hurstville.nsw.gov.au/bee...ssie_byrne.htm
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I had the chance to meet Maurice before he passed away. What an awesom human being. Real down to earth. Their studio in Miami, Middle Ear, has a super schweet Neve Capricorn and the greatest collection of E-Mu stuff like sp1200's and EMulator 1, 2 and 3's.

Maurce's daughter is a hellofa singer too.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
i love the bee gees from that period - if you search the mix archives - there was a
great article - i don't remember when..................
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_bee_gees_stayin/

I admit I'm a fairly new convert. 'Stayin' Alive' is SO great. Amazing production/song/playing/vibe. Funny recording story too.....

Bought the recent 'No. Ones' CD sampler but 'Somebody to love' isn't on it and that's a shame,shame,shame....

A box set is long overdue, are you listening Rhino?

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

i second what all of you guys say about the bee gees - they are one of my all time favorite acts, and as songwriters they are geniuses IMHO.

"tragedy" is sheer pop magic. not to mention "spritits having flown", "how deep is your love", too much heaven", "heartbreaker" w dionne warwick.. and the entire barbra streisand record is amazing too.

between '78 and '81 they made three classic albums - "saturday night fever", "spirits having flown" and "guilty" (streisand). talk about being on a roll!

i've always liked their '87 comeback record "E.S.P." quite a lot too. produced by arif mardin, it had moments of the old magic, particularly on the single "you win again" as well as the title track.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges
That was Don Gehmen, was it not? Man, that dude's done some great ****.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Producer Albhy Gahluten..also did Satruday Night Fever..and Jelly Fish, etc,
Old 2nd August 2005
I was born in '71 and can remember seeing Saturday Night Fever when it came out. Been a fan of the Bee Gees ever since :-)

They're genious... ELO reminds me of them in some strange way.

I also need to throw some props to "Fanny", "Don't Throw it All Away" and "Love So Right". Gems, those tunes...

It's amazing how many other people's hits they wrote..."Grease", "Islands in the Stream" etc.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

One of my all time favorite groups. Those great vocal harmonies. And what a catalog. To have a career than spans 5 decades is incredible. The DVD documentary is a must if you are a fan. It talks about that they originally wrote "To Love Somebody" for Otis Redding, but that he died before he could record it. And it's great to hear George Martin and others talk about how talented they are.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorderman
Producer Albhy Gahluten..also did Satruday Night Fever..and Jelly Fish, etc,
Yeah, but didn't Gehmen engineer it? I could be wrong about that, but I was thinking that was one of his first jobs at Criteria.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanders
I was born in '71 and can remember seeing Saturday Night Fever when it came out.

Dude you were six years old.

Did your parents take you to Studio 54 also? heh

(Just kidding by the way).
Old 2nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges
Okay, raise your hand if you know where the throat clearing is in that song.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Oh man you're killing me. Is it just before or during the last chorus?

War
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Oh man you're killing me. Is it just before or during the last chorus?
Just before the key change. Loud as daylights.

"HARGMFNFFNNFFHGG... And every gambler knows..." etc.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Sixties Bee Gees stuff is great. No doubt about that. My fascination with the Seventies stuff has a lot to do with it's sonic quality, but the writing and performances are pretty great. The other night I had one of the Greatest Hits records on, and 'How Deep is Your Love' came on; my girlfriend was asking me how they make it sound so silky. I was kind of at a loss for what to say. I mean, it's a little of everything. Mostly it seems to go straight back to great singers singing great songs, but the level of the production is way up there. And I liked the single: 'One' too.

ELO is a looongtime fave of mine. Obviously a super Beatles-influenced guy (aren't we all; but I think ELO had a bigger dose of it than most.) ELO should have their own thread; I've spent a LOT of time listening to that stuff. Everybody go over to iTunes and download Mr. Blue Sky.

JFA was totally cool; I think they turned a lot of us old skool skater kids on to surf instrumentals.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
ELO is a looongtime fave of mine. Obviously a super Beatles-influenced guy (aren't we all; but I think ELO had a bigger dose of it than most.) ELO should have their own thread; I've spent a LOT of time listening to that stuff. Everybody go over to iTunes and download Mr. Blue Sky.
Not to get too OT, but Not Lame put out a really great Jeff Lynne tribute CD a few years ago called "Lynne Me Your Ears." (Okay, it's a terrible name, but a good album). Tony Visconti actually did "Mr. Blue Sky."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

That must be the cover version I heard; does he kind of talk through the verses?
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhatx
And it's great to hear George Martin and others talk about how talented they are.
He also talks about them in his book 'All you need is ears'. While discussing double-tracking voices he mentions Barry (I believe it was him) having a 'problem' with being TOO precise. He said that the effect of double-tracking was lessened because he was so dead on pitch and precise that there wasn't enough 'flange' going on.
I don't think we run into these kind of problems too often these days.....

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search